Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-03-11, 11:13 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pros Tackle in '71 Classic

Does anyone know or know how to find out exactly what rods-reels-lures-line the pros in the first classic were really using. I would love to know and i doubt i'm the only one. The boats and motor are common knowledge but the personal choices they made about all the rest must be kept in some kind of record or archive or something. Just curious...but i'm willing to bet that 5 out of 10 beginners today are using higher quality stuff.
Old 09-03-11, 11:39 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

GREAT question! Looking forward to seeing what folks know.
Old 09-04-11, 10:44 AM   #3
Bob Smith

You can betcha, that it was on 5 1/2' pistol gripped rods with ABU Garcia 5000C, 20 # Mono, 5/0 and 6/0 Eagle Claw Worm hooks, 1/2 oz Bullet sinkers and 9" to 10" Creme Fliptail worms. H & H Spinner Baits, Shyster In-line Spinners, Devil Horse top water and Torpedos, Big O Crankbaits, Bucktail Hair jigs and Uncle Josh Eels or #1 Pork Frog. For Schooling fish they were probably throwing the Pico Perch in the White with black dot pattern. Tom Mann baits and Lonnie Stanley Baits were just coming on the scene and getting ready to blow the whole bait scene into a new dimension.
Old 09-04-11, 11:11 AM   #4
Bob Smith

http://www.bassmaster.com/video/classic-i
Enjoy!
Old 09-04-11, 02:21 PM   #5
bamabassman

now bob........that was a WONDERFUL video. funny how much it has changed form those times ain't it? seems it should go back to a lot of what they did then. thanks for the video bob.
Old 09-04-11, 06:46 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Hey Bob Thanks for that video....lots of fun......BTW used to fish Allatoona back in the 70's Straight up I-75......born and raised Valdosta
Old 09-04-11, 09:06 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey Bob Thanks for that video....lots of fun......BTW used to fish Allatoona back in the 70's Straight up I-75......born and raised Valdosta
I live a little less than four miles from the Bartow County Ramp on the northside of the lake. It's a pretty fair spotted bas lake and produces an occasional largemouth worthy of pictures.
I have Porko's Tournaments www.porkostournaments.info and see quite a few good fish brought to the scales, several this summer aleady. take a look when you get a minute.
Old 09-05-11, 11:02 AM   #8
keithdog

Loved watching the video Bob! Thanks a million. It really brought back many memories. They even used Anchor Mates, haha. I didn't know that. That was so much fun to watch.
Old 09-05-11, 11:33 AM   #9
bamabassman

one thing i liked about the OLD way they did things is......EVERYONE used the SAME type of boat, same rods and reels same choices of baits. (at least it appears that way.) in other words...no one had something the others didn't have. and even slate. no prefishing, jsut go out and FISH. not knowing what lake oyu are on, what the weather conditions were gonna be........A TRUE TEST in my opion.
Old 09-05-11, 01:38 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
one thing i liked about the OLD way they did things is......EVERYONE used the SAME type of boat, same rods and reels same choices of baits. (at least it appears that way.) in other words...no one had something the others didn't have. and even slate. no prefishing, jsut go out and FISH. not knowing what lake oyu are on, what the weather conditions were gonna be........A TRUE TEST in my opion.
Notice Tom Mann used the spinning rig even back then. He was one of the hard core spinning reel guys. Notice the Lil' George patch on his back. Those things were awesome when they first came out. We were primarily fishing on Lake Livingston (north of Houston, TX) when those things came out and couldn't beat the fish off that thing! Bass and Whitebass both ate it like there was no tomorrow! Cast it out, let it go to the bottom and rip up with a sweep of the rod, reel up the slack and let it go to the bottom and start all over. Fun fo sho!
Old 09-05-11, 05:10 PM   #11
3dkicker

I've got a couple Bassmaster magazines from the early 70's. I like looking at the adds for baits every once in a while. Pretty cool stuff. Articles are still good to read with a lot less product placement....
Old 09-05-11, 10:36 PM   #12
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

How did they ever find their way back to the ramp without a GPS?
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 12:25 PM   #13
RichH
BassFishin.Com Member

Default winning tackle in '71

As I recall, the first Classic contenders were limited to 10 pounds of tackle of their choice. My buddy Bill Rice was one of the writers at the first Classic and he said winner Bobby Murray used a 1/4-ounce Zorro Aggravator tandem-blade spinnerbait and ran from cove to cove in the lower basin of Lake Mead throwing the lure "as far as he could heave it" and cranked it back through "any cover lodged or sprouting in the narrow cuts."
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 07:56 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
As I recall, the first Classic contenders were limited to 10 pounds of tackle of their choice. My buddy Bill Rice was one of the writers at the first Classic and he said winner Bobby Murray used a 1/4-ounce Zorro Aggravator tandem-blade spinnerbait and ran from cove to cove in the lower basin of Lake Mead throwing the lure "as far as he could heave it" and cranked it back through "any cover lodged or sprouting in the narrow cuts."
Thanks Rich, thats the sort of thing I wanted to know.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.