Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-07-13, 10:38 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Froggin!

We're at the brink for frog sliggin season here! Still just a bit to much chill in the air, but if we (God forbid ) get a week or two of solid 70-80 degree weather we'll be there!

Do any of you guys find a certain cadence to fishing a frog on a given day? How far do you usually move a frog before you pause it - and how long is that pause?
Old 06-07-13, 01:02 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Much depends upon what the fish want,some days a steady retrieve like a rat some days a pause some days popit with the retrieve .
Different types of frogs floaters ,walkers,rats,non floaters like hormy toads ,ribbets.
Different types of cover,solid lilly pads,solid hydrill,milfoil,coontail,pondweed a topped mat or that which is sparse and not quite to the top all require what the bass want not what you want.So dont be afraid to vary it if not getting bit what your doing also try another form of veggies if nearby.Nothing written in stone.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 10:28 PM   #3
bassinbob

Couldn't of said it any better than mule. You have to find the speed needed for a reaction bite with horny toads is what I have found.
Old 06-08-13, 02:01 AM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fell in love with froggin' a couple years ago after an awesome bite on Horny Hoads and Ribbits. Then I went out and bought a pair of Spro Frogs, one in black and a poppin' one in white and red. I can barely get a bite with those. For whatever reason I've only had success with a slow/steady walking retrieve with Horny Toads and Ribbits.

I thought the Spro's were a tad on the expensive side; but if you consider the hooks and how often the rubber frogs get torn up, the cost of a Spro is very reasonable considering how many packages of the 'disposable' ones I go through. I just wish I could catch them on the Spro's.
Old 06-08-13, 02:22 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

let fish tell you but usally I break it up, into walking and plopping. If i skip a frog under some over hang, I will walk it forever in the strike zone since it seems only 3 out of 5 skips are perfect on my BC gear, then once i pull out in open toward me, I just plop it.
Old 06-10-13, 01:15 PM   #6
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do you miss FL yet Boss? lol

I just jump around on the cover causing a ruckus and pause at openings for a sec or 2. Always worked for me....same with top water snakes...at least here in FL
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 06:04 PM   #7
Embrey

its all fun and games until a big snapping turtle eats your frog... yes, it happened last week to me.,and i landed it thinking it was a fish the whole time. that sucked to get back my frog for sure
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 10:07 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for the tips guys, lost all my frogs today on the lake, northern were bittin the the braid was frayin... didn't make for a good combination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
its all fun and games until a big snapping turtle eats your frog... yes, it happened last week to me.,and i landed it thinking it was a fish the whole time. that sucked to get back my frog for sure
Did you eat it? Them things are awesome if you know how to do em up!
Old 06-12-13, 02:04 PM   #9
Embrey

no, cause my wife would have ended up having it as a pet somehow
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 11:36 AM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Do any of you guys find a certain cadence to fishing a frog on a given day? How far do you usually move a frog before you pause it - and how long is that pause?
I didn't know Horny Toads had a cadance. Chunk and wind baby!!! Chunk and wind!!! and the only time I pause is when the fish misses the bait. Then I kill it and wait until I see line moving and I set the hook!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.