Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-15-11, 05:48 PM   #1
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Swimming Creature baits?

I know usually creature baits are usually worked like a jig (pitching/flipping), T-Rigged worked like a worm, or C-Rigged. But today I thought I would try swimming a Strike King Game Hawg, that was T-Rigged, and I got some vicious strikes that were strong enough to bend my hook during the fight. Has anybody else tried this with any luck?
Old 09-15-11, 05:51 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no i haven't....but now that YOU got some hits. i just might have to try it.
Old 09-15-11, 05:53 PM   #3
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea I just thought I'd give it a try, and they ripped it apart. Might of been because they've never seen that before
Old 09-15-11, 06:04 PM   #4
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good to know, C DUDE. I had real good luck drop-shotting a Cabela's Creature Bait (electric grape with blue flakes) the last two outings last weekend, which was the first time I had tried them all year. I might have to try T-rigging and swimming them this weekend and see what that does for me. Unfortunately, I'm guessing the hammer handle pike will love it. They started becoming a pain already last weekend.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 06:16 PM   #5
Biscuitmedic
BassFishin.Com Member

See if you can find some Swimmax hooks by Stanley Baits 1/8 up to 4' deep, 1/4 after that. Rig em up and twitch em along so they are just gliding thru the water, just make sure you have a good grip on your rod. Usually located in the frog section of any good bait shop. I have found em to be deadly using a big bite fighting frog designed by Rojas or a yum wooly hawgtail.

http://www.fishstanley.com/swimmaxhook.html

Best of Luck!
Biscuitmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 06:19 PM   #6
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

haha yea I can see the pike getting in the way. But yea give it a go and let me know how it works for you.
Old 09-15-11, 10:38 PM   #7
joedog

I first tried it Tue. mornng (pre cold front thread). Using a Yum "Woolie Bullie" on a Terminator Finese Jig (1/4 or 3/8 oz). Tue....12 plus, Wed.....10, Thur.....6 morning, and a 6 plus a 22.4 inch length,18in. girth and 9.2ibs large mouth tonight! Best fish this year and shore fishing so I'm casting the jigs 20 yard plus and hopping, tragging or both inter-changed. Woolies are kind of like a beaver trailor only with legs instead of flaps. They are sort of thick but I have used a total of maybe 6 trailers all week and two will be used yet again tomorrow. Legs are thick enough so dinks can't bite them off and shaped like mini ribbit legs (smaller foot nubs). It has been a true eye opener for me and I tried it on a day everything else failed, following sites advice on fall fishing wanted some thing frog like that could be fished fast or slow. Thanks all for the help!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 10:42 PM   #8
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I first tried it Tue. mornng (pre cold front thread). Using a Yum "Woolie Bullie" on a Terminator Finese Jig (1/4 or 3/8 oz). Tue....12 plus, Wed.....10, Thur.....6 morning, and a 6 plus a 22.4 inch length,18in. girth and 9.2ibs large mouth tonight! Best fish this year and shore fishing so I'm casting the jigs 20 yard plus and hopping, tragging or both inter-changed. Woolies are kind of like a beaver trailor only with legs instead of flaps. They are sort of thick but I have used a total of maybe 6 trailers all week and two will be used yet again tomorrow. Legs are thick enough so dinks can't bite them off and shaped like mini ribbit legs (smaller foot nubs). It has been a true eye opener for me and I tried it on a day everything else failed, following sites advice on fall fishing wanted some thing frog like that could be fished fast or slow. Thanks all for the help!
That's what I'm talking about! And that's when I tried, when everything failed, just decided to try something new.
Old 09-15-11, 10:45 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Holy cow, joedog -- sweeeeeeeeet fish! 9.2 lbs would be a state record LM here in MN (8.15 now).
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:22 PM   #10
joedog

Hey I used someone elses scale, left mine at home, thats why i measurerd girth and length because theres some formula to see if scales off. It really was big but I'm always weary of scales, even my own!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 01:06 PM   #11
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i actually have i was at a private pond and i cast and felt grass on my brush hog yanked and was buzzing it back to the shore then WHAM i get a huge bass. this bass jumped the highest i have ever seen he must have jumped four feet. i bring the bass in it was 4 and half pounds no lie. every time i try it now it just doesn't work haha it was prrply just a reaction bite but still awesome
Old 09-17-11, 01:29 PM   #12
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

swimming speed craws is a go to bait/presentation in my area when fishing the river (mississippi). I also like to swim gambler ugly otters too.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 10:40 AM   #13
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Definitely a technique I will try now, thanks. Woolie Bullies and Game hawgs it is...
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:05 PM   #14
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep, swimming a Brush Hog t rigged weightless through veditation worked really well earlier in the year untill the shad bite turned on. Great way to fish'em!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.