Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-12, 10:39 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default rain gear

Well i got soaked on Saturday. I had a pair of Frog togs that i got for a birthday present. Advertised as rain gear but believe me it isn't. I have looked at Bass Pro, Cabelas and Tackle Warehouse for rain gear. I don't want to spend 300.00 on a rain suit. Gander Mountain did have some cheaper options when i looked at them online.
Any suggestions.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:03 AM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Spend $300.... I use the BPS Pro Qualifier and have been in a downpour (bilge pumps kicking on every couple of minutes) and stayed dry. Mine are 4 years old and don't have any issues. I would much rather be dry and comfortable (and out a little bit of money) then complaining about getting wet and wasting money on cheap rain gear. Then in the long run you'll end up spending twice as much to end up with the $300 set...
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:17 AM   #3
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Flea bay has some good deals on Gore Tex rain gear, just stick to the "name brands". But like MIbasser said, good gore tex rain gear is worth the $. I recieved a set of Cabelas Guide wear gore tex rain gear,(pricey, I know), but it is bomb proof, and is three years old, and I don't see not getting 4 or 5 more years out of it,(at least). On another, but similar note(and it might be worth looking into). Has, or does anyone use the military gore tex rain gear?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:37 AM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
Well i got soaked on Saturday. I had a pair of Frog togs that i got for a birthday present. Advertised as rain gear but believe me it isn't. I have looked at Bass Pro, Cabelas and Tackle Warehouse for rain gear. I don't want to spend 300.00 on a rain suit. Gander Mountain did have some cheaper options when i looked at them online.
Any suggestions.

Interesting, I have a set of Frogg Toggs that have kept me dry. I have never spent several hours in a hard rain with them on, but in the lighter stuff and for an hour or two I have had no problem.

I know they make them in different grades of material, wonder if maybe you got a light set,or if they are defective.
Old 03-26-12, 12:25 PM   #5
syd

I think mine are the lighter set. Maybe more of a wind suit.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 12:35 PM   #6
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Interesting, I have a set of Frogg Toggs that have kept me dry. I have never spent several hours in a hard rain with them on, but in the lighter stuff and for an hour or two I have had no problem.

I know they make them in different grades of material, wonder if maybe you got a light set,or if they are defective.
I have spent the morning getting drenched in a down pour. Frogg Toggs kept me dry. I always use the bib pants. Using the pants can get you wet. The rain from the jacket runs down or the jacket rides up. Then you can certainly get wet.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 01:18 PM   #7
nobass

i have had the same set of frogg toggs for 10 years . they have never let me down. but they cost around 90 dollars i think today are way cheaper. like tavery said it may because they have thinner material in them
Old 03-26-12, 01:28 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

There are two types of Frogg Toggs cheap like 24 dollars and the 65 dollar set. Bibs are best BTW. They are made from Trevek, same stuff you see stapled around new houses.
They will last a few years if you avoid washing them.

The absolute best is Aquaskinz but be ready shell out some major bucks.
http://aquiaskinz.com
Next best is Simms.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/pro...jacket_12.html

Simms cost more but are not as good as Nor easter from Aquiaskinz.
If Simms sold rocks for fishing they would cost 80 bucks each.

They do have some really good waders.

Capt Mike
Old 03-26-12, 03:16 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Interesting, I have a set of Frogg Toggs that have kept me dry. I have never spent several hours in a hard rain with them on, but in the lighter stuff and for an hour or two I have had no problem
I'm with Tav on this one. I have a set of Frog Toggs I keep in the boat all the time. Been caught in a couple of downpours and they did the job.

That said, I also have a Pro Qualifier bib/parka combo and if I know it will rain I take those.

Regardless of which one you choose I highly recommend getting bibs instead of pants. Pants can leave a gap when you bend over and rain down your pants isn't all that fun. The bib eliminates that problem.
Old 03-26-12, 03:30 PM   #10
T7HeadTurner

http://grundens.com/index.php
Old 03-26-12, 04:18 PM   #11
Jrob78

I've got the Academy H20 rain suit. I've only worn it once in really heavy rain but it kept me dry. It costs about half of what the BPS rain suits do and it seems to be made very well. So far, I am very happy with my purchase.
Parka
Bibs
Old 03-26-12, 04:32 PM   #12
bassboogieman

I have several pieces of Cabela's guide wear. As long as you buy Gore Tex you'll stay dry. I've found I prefer a parka to a jacket - the jacket rides up and exposes the lower back, not good. Bibs help some with the short jackets. I have bibs, pants, 2 jackets - both insulated and they are too warm for anything other than winter wear for me, a light weight parka and an uninsulated heavier parka. With a fleece vest under the uninsulated parka, I warm enough for any day I'll be in my boat. A good rain suit is worth every penny, if you must fish in the rain as in a tournament situation. Cabela's usually close out their product at the end of the season for around half price, but now you won't find many discounts, prime season is upon us. BPS branded gear is also good.
Cabela's and many other's have several grades of "rain gear", buy the best you can afford - it will last a long time and nothing ruins a day's fishing faster than getting wet & cold.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 06:20 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

I had a set of Frogg Toggs years ago that I kept in the boat for a light rainsuit incase a summer shower popped up. I was just as well off in shorts and a t-shirt, those things leaked like crazy. My rainsuit now is a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier, and I love it. I went with it over the 100 MPH rainsuit because the front zipper on the 100 MPH suit didn't go far enough down to allow you to take a leak without having to take off the jacket and pull the bibs down. The Pro Qualifiers zipper goes down far enough to let you pee with the jacket and bibs on so that was the deciding factor. There is a guy in our club that has a pair of the H2O rain gear that Jrob mentioned and he said for the money he really liked it. My advice is if you decide against the H2O suit, spend the money and get good rain gear. It's a big investment but it's worth it.
Old 03-26-12, 06:22 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

I should have added also that if you are interested in the Pro Qualifier suit you might be able to find last years style on sale in stores. I know our store had them on sale for a good price a while back. It's not really a great suit for the summer time because it's fairly heavy, but it's really warm and windproof in the winter.
Old 03-26-12, 07:11 PM   #15
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Has, or does anyone use the military gore tex rain gear?
Yes, I have a couple of sets they let me keep. It is adequate for the job, for the most part. It gets dirty easily and then gets "waterlogged". The jacket is the best piece but I don't recommend wearing it in any extreme temperature (in either direction). The pants suck and are highwaters when you sit.

I have a set of frogg toggs and have no complaints with them.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 08:37 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

I Love fishing in the rain. I've had a Frogg Togg suit for years and stay dry no prob.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 03-26-12 at 08:46 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 10:45 PM   #17
lilmule

I have a set of plastic 16 dollar walley world been using ten-twelve years now pants are breathable top is light,it keeps me dry so got my 16 dollars worth,havnt a clue what they are called,or who made them.
I have something close to frog togs light I wear underneath ok for light rain by itself get wet if for long in a hard rain,so go under the other if cool,other wise semi rain suit.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:30 PM   #18
coldbasser

Guide Wear the best dry suit that I've ever owned
Old 03-29-12, 09:24 AM   #19
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Yes, I have a couple of sets they let me keep. It is adequate for the job, for the most part. It gets dirty easily and then gets "waterlogged". The jacket is the best piece but I don't recommend wearing it in any extreme temperature (in either direction). The pants suck and are highwaters when you sit.

I have a set of frogg toggs and have no complaints with them.
Thanks, but does the jacket at least keep you dry, I mean this is the stuff we're giving our troops?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 01:54 PM   #20
bassboogieman

I was just on Cabela's website and checked their rain gear. Some of it IS ON CLEARANCE, which is unusual for this time of year. Limited size/color choice but color should be the last consideration for purchase. Parka is available for just about half price. If you're lucky and a size XL or XXL you may be in luck. Check the website for other pieces and also tall sizes if you need that.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ductId=1158402
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 05:09 PM   #21
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Thanks, but does the jacket at least keep you dry, I mean this is the stuff we're giving our troops?
Yes and yes. The newer generation stuff with the digital camo is way superior to the old woodland stuff. It tended to get very clammy.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.