Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-09-12, 12:08 AM   #1
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Adding water pressure gauge?

Hello gentleman, rather new here, first thread. I'm am running a 95 model evinrude. 90 HP with a 20" raker prop. I want to play with the engine height, but fear overheating the motor. So I'm looking at installing a water pressure gauge. Question is do I just tee into telltale hose or is there a port somewhere I need tap? I have one hole I can go up with the motor bracket before having to go with a jackplate. Which I will if I have to. Any info will be appreciated.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 01:04 AM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Hello A-style, welcome!
No need for a water pressure gauge on a kayak, so I'm no good to you there!
There's several around here who will chime in on your question though!
Old 02-09-12, 01:12 AM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wish I had a picture of my motor, that would make this a lot easier to explain.
On my Yamaha, there's a fitting on top of the water jacket that the plastic hose for the gauge runs to. I dont think you need to tie into the telltale...I don't think that would be a real judge of the actual water pressure inside the motor.

Ah, screw it....I'm going to take a picture of mine. BRB....
Old 02-09-12, 01:24 AM   #4
MississippiBoy

Ok, here's a pic of it. You can see the bronze-ish fitting I'm talking about just to the right of the oil tank, with the white plastic hose going to it.

I'd check to see if your motor has something similar on it, or the opening for that fitting may be plugged, and you'll need to remove the plug and purchase the fitting to take its place. Then route the hose from that fitting up to your console and find a place to mount the gauge.
Old 02-09-12, 08:50 AM   #5
lilmule

No you shouldnt have to drill and tap on some real old motors yes one does.
It will be a 1/4 hole with a plug in it most likly not like in the pic with a male coming out and a tube that is what you install,like he stated.I use standard fitting not a compression,slide over after being there awhile one has to cut it off.
Nothing wrong with wanting to know psi,however if only 1 hole left,bet it will only tell you no if with a stock lower,can one go higher yes by plugging inlets on lower unit and installing a lwp on bottom of boat its just 50 dollars worth of plumbing,but not worth it for general purposes.
Adding a jp say a small one with 4 in of setback,will let it run in cleaner water and will give adjustments that would be inbetween those holes on the motor.
If your unshure where to get or take the psi reading at stop anywhere they work on motors they will gladly show you where its not a charge thing,as will take them 30 seconds. 4 in jp one piece not two costs lil over 100 bucks used say on ebay.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-09-12 at 08:56 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 09:41 PM   #6
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome A-Style, I was told to my my local merc. dealer to install a "tee" fitting in a main cooling line, not the telltail, if I didn't have a water jacket access plug. The "tee" worked just fine.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.