Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-08-07, 08:13 PM   #26
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
our high today is 68
No way!! Lets trade, the heat down here is deadly, literally. I'm at football practices and the heat index registers at 120 degrees, that makes 68 feel like the artic tundra. I'm very jealous of the temperatures in Oregon.
Old 08-08-07, 08:15 PM   #27
1FASTLASER

I know what u are dealing with 02. We got a thermometer in our shop and with 5 yep that reads 5 of the bigBox fans running our shop is regestering 118 by noon today. UGH I feel like a wet dish rag by 5:00.
Old 08-08-07, 08:30 PM   #28
bassfisher02

Yeah exactly, somethings gotta give! I literally wring out my clothes after practice each day, and buckets of sweat pours out, its ridiculous. Not to mention I'm getting a wicked sunburn.
Old 08-08-07, 10:10 PM   #29
basschamp4
BassFishin.Com Active Member

oh sunburn is the worst the temp is mid 90's here on average and every night it seems i am drenching my self in aloe vera
Old 08-09-07, 11:17 AM   #30
hackattack

yeah thats about the only thing good about oregon...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 07:33 PM   #31
bassfisher02

I wouldnt say that, I bet it has some amazing scenary, plus the 8lb hawgs that seem to be swimming around up there.
Old 08-10-07, 08:18 AM   #32
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschamp4 View Post
oh sunburn is the worst the temp is mid 90's here on average and every night it seems i am drenching my self in aloe vera
try drenching yourself in suinscreen before you get burned, then you won't have to drench yourself in aloe or have to deal with painful sunburns, or skin cancer later... Just an Idea. Don't do this while fishing though. the fish'll smell it.
Old 08-10-07, 08:25 AM   #33
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't fish lakes hardley at all in the Summer. I mainly fish tidal rivers. I gotta think that you could fish a deep diving suspending jerkbait and get a reaction strike from the suspended bass this time of year. I catch them like that in the winter. I would think it would work well in the summer. Like I said though I mainly fish rivers now and have a tournament tomorrow on the James. Most of the lakes I fish are in the Spring and early Summer.

The water temps in the rivers here are in the low 90's right now.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 11:25 AM   #34
hackattack

I had to wear a swetshirt yesterday, its kind of chilly.
Old 08-10-07, 06:26 PM   #35
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
I had to wear a swetshirt yesterday, its kind of chilly.
THATS JUST CRUEL MAN
Old 08-10-07, 06:43 PM   #36
JB

Laser,
I've been unloading steel off of trucks in about 100 degree sun all week and today we finally cooled off to upper 80s and the humidity dropped.
Ya touch those I beams without welders gloves on and you FRY!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 06:45 PM   #37
1FASTLASER

I know what ya mean buddy. We are building platforms for a new Ethanol plant that is going up in Texas. Went from idiling along to WIDE OPEN prolly till the last of september first of october and 6...12hr days. Pylling the trigger on the migs as fast as we can.
Old 08-10-07, 07:01 PM   #38
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

Fish deep water structure and channels. I using a weighted trick worm bounched along the bottom along with some deep diving jerk and crankbaits. Im just fishing them like i would fish in the late fall.
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 07:34 PM   #39
hackattack

we have only had 4 days over 90 highest 95 this whole summer only used the a/c like 3 times thats it...

just trying to rub it in...
Old 08-11-07, 10:36 PM   #40
BLWeng

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng

Been about 100 everyday the last couple of weeks, but what really sucks is last week when we had a structure fire, and it is about 600 degrees inside the structure. Coming outside to only 100 isn't too bad after all.
Old 08-11-07, 11:55 PM   #41
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
glad to read that the bite has slowed down for alot of people.
i thought i was doing something wrong.
Nope-it has slowed down here as well. The summer slump is on.
Old 08-12-07, 12:38 AM   #42
FlyRod

For those who will "gut up" and SAFELY night-fish, the pickin's can be rich.
Bass MUST eat to survive, and their metabolic characteristics demand more food intake as the end of Summer draws near.
None of my current partners are so inclined, and no slam at them, but for those who do study the tactics and techniques of night bassing, the rewards are there.
It is a different world, but on a moonlit or beautiful starry night, even if the bass aren't cooperative, the experience is one of beauty and peace...weather and boat traffic permittin'...good for the soul.
If you have a body of water that isn't like the LA Freeway at night, boat traffic-wise, and do some thoughtful preparation re: equipment and tactics, you can have a lot of fun.
I can recall numerous nights on Medina, Calaveras (especially!), even Falcon and Sugar Lake (Mexico) when the punishing and unproductive daytime angling was more than compensated for by the night fishing. Travis was another great night lake.
When I'm anticipating a night attack, I prepare a special "Night Kit". This might include the necessary hooks, weights, pegs, rattles, and BEADS(!!!) for fishing soft plastics, Black spinner baits, Black topwater plugs and SPRO-type frawgs, scents, pliers, cap light, a good UV light (I'm fortunate to own the best...the Nucli-Eye.) and so on. If I anticipate fishing "first light" in the AM I add a very few other-than-black goodies, sufficient to handle an hour or so of work before leaving the lake.
A few more tips...Having the UV light source is a blessing. With the Nucli-Eye you also have a choice of UV and/or soft blue normal light, both LED generated. Using lines that fluoresce under UV is a serious advantage as well.
Lines...Well, since the sensitivity of braid is even more of a gift at night, at least for soft plastics, one generally has to accept the trade-off; Up 'til now, there were no "Glow" braids. Good news! Stren has introduced a new braid that WILL fluoresce in both daylight and under UV. I'm going to test some soon and will report on it. I will STILL use a pure fluoro leader with it during daylight hours in order to maintain invisibility, but since it does NOT fluoresce under water I may run without the leader should the opportunity to night fish arise.
Remember too that fluorocarbon lines do NOT fluoresce under UV. This can be a hassle at night but I do have a solution. I can explain if anyone so requests.
Night fishing is a very worthwhile endeavor. Do it right, with safety uppermost in mind, and you'll be rewarded.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 01:00 AM   #43
Bender

I am not a crankbait guy, but I tried pretty much everything else Friday evening and today and nothing else worked. I started throwing a DT-10 in a crawdad color out over a drop from 25 feet to 12 feet and have had success. I tried everything else today, even my trusty shaky head, but it didn't work. In 30 minutes I had 2 bass and a darned pike, with one of the bass right at 4 lbs. which is very big for around here. Friday night I had a few more ranging from 2-3 lbs. They all came from about 15 FOW.
My friend fished a tx the other day and the only place they found fish was one the outside of the weedline with jigs and worms. They threw it out deep and dragged it in until they felt the weeds and let it sit, this was normally in 12 FOW. BTW they won the tx by 3 pounds.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 11:56 AM   #44
bassfisher02

Night fishin' is indeed a relaxing experience. Used to do a lot ot night fishin for cats, we'd use bells and glowing tips on our rods and light up bobbers to let us know of any 'fish-on' situations. Used to do a lot of night bassin too when my dad lived on a lake, would go out all night and fish and fish and fish, same lake I nailed my PR on, I think the largest I got night bassin was somewhere around 7lbs. It was deffinitely a fun experience. Wish I could do more of it these days, but my stepdad isnt soo much into bassin and until I get my boat I'm out of luck.
Old 08-13-07, 09:50 AM   #45
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I go night fishing once in a hwile on my pond, small bass, not much of a fight, but fishin's fishin. anyways i normally use dark colored topwaters, i have luck with a white hula popper that has a black back with black stripes and a red belly. jitterbugs are one of my favorites too.
Old 08-13-07, 07:01 PM   #46
1FASTLASER

Flyrod I COMMEND u highly on your article especially the fact that you EMPHASIZED saftey. 2 weeks ago I took my boys out and was gonna pull a allnighter and got there a little late due to the fact I helped 3 other boaters get there rigs running and one dead truck battery. Well I was running late getting out on the lake and for a split second I let saftey become second. WELL it coulda been disastrous. I didnt hookup the spotlight .....thought there was enough moon light .......WHAM found a rock. Thankful that I was just on plane and not running. Moral of story.......SAFTEY FIRST ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on the lighter side I firmly beleive in scented plastics at night,jigs, and large singlespin colorado bladed spinnerbaits.

One more thing and I will shutup.....Flyrod do you find the SPRO fogs better than the bass rats. I been wanting to give them a try.
Old 08-13-07, 08:33 PM   #47
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post

Now on the lighter side I firmly beleive in scented plastics at night,jigs, and large singlespin colorado bladed spinnerbaits.

One more thing and I will shutup.....Flyrod do you find the SPRO fogs better than the bass rats. I been wanting to give them a try.
1FL,

I'm with you re the first paragraph above. To be honest, I've not had enough night-fishing opportunities since arming myself with the SPROs and their ilk to give a fair response the asked question. Perhaps in the weeks to come the chance will come.
Of course, I'm no different from many in that when something is producing for me it's tough to put it down in favor of an untried or unproven option. Still, I DO love to doing Res.& Dev. so I'm certain I'll be throwing the Frogs soon, if only in the pre-dawn darkness at the outset of a "normal" day on the water. Will report.

I'm more taken by your near-tragedy on the water. Please, DO learn from it and be safe in the future.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 08:36 PM   #48
1FASTLASER

Thanks for the reply.................AND you can BET NO MORE dumb a## moves like that. I know better. I been boating for over 30yrs and this was as close a call as I think I have ever had. SAFTEY FIRST is my motto.
Old 08-14-07, 03:14 PM   #49
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

1FL,

I started using the Spro Bronze Eye frog recently and love it. I mostly use it over grass flats and the hook up ratio has been very good!

Also yesterday I fished a big pond that averaged 10-12' deep. I was noticing fish suspended about 2-3' off the bottom. I was chunking a Rapala DT10 in a Bluegill color (around off shore structure) and caught one 6 lbs. 11oz. She inhaled the crank. She was about 20 yards from the bank in 11' of water. I caught 2 more on a crank then fished brush piles in 10' of water and broke off a toad on a 4" finesse worm and my buddy caught a 4 1/2 lber on a craw worm. This was about an hour before dark. Water temps in the pond were around 89 degrees.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.