Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-09, 01:43 PM   #1
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Casting Accuracy Part II

Another poster and I got a bit off track with the other gentleman's thread about casting accuracy and rods. Instead of hi-jacking his thread I would like to get some opinions on casting accuracy and reels.

Do you think a reel makes any difference in how accurately you can cast?
Old 10-17-09, 02:26 PM   #2
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd say yes.

The door is open for more variables to impact on how it casts and I think maybe more relevant to repeatability or reproducibility Most things involved in the rod are fairly constant easier / quicker to adapt to.

Reels require some adjustment or tinkering.

Maybe accuracy is the wrong word. Maybe the concern is more along the lines of how well it repeats mechanically from cast to cast.

I think any most reel can be adapted to as well as most rods. Some definitely more enjoyable to throw. As stuff breaks down within its system repeatability suffers hence further off target we might become from cast to cast.

I feel safe in saying the higher the quality in manufacturing the more accurate one can remain for a longer period of time.

Dirty bearings, poorly lub'ed bearings have an impact reaching the target and the harder you throw to compensate the more uncontrolled the cast becomes hence accuracy suffers.

I think a cheap reel might serve its purpose as well as an expensive reel but for a shorter period of time and then how well we maintain either will determine the performance for any given period of time.
Old 10-17-09, 02:32 PM   #3
muddy

Dirt can happen to poorly kept reels of all cost. Accuracy and the ability to be accurate can change so subletly along with a reels performance that unless there is a drastic failure in your reel, I do not see it affecting accuracy in the long haul
How much does a dirty hood affect the speed of your car? If does cause some drag, but enough for you to feel it? I dont think that it really matters all that much for accuracy, actually think is a bad word here, From my limited experience ( 2 years representing almost 200 days use) with baitcasting equipment, if nothing is very wrong with you reel, its all in the rod and your ability for accurate casting.

PS: This is if you are using the right , and matched rods and reels: If you are throwing 1/8 ounce lures with 50 lb braid and using musky equipment, thats not gonna work either.

Last edited by muddy; 10-17-09 at 02:38 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 03:14 PM   #4
TnTom

I'd like to assume folks are fishing the appropriate gear properly rigged.

When I tried to compensate for unmaintained bearings, and basically no change in casting distance to the target, I became less accurate when having to compensate with subtly increased effort to reach the target. This happened over the long haul.

The effort it took to achieve an acceptable level of accuracy was relative to the drag on the bearing. I had to throw harder, increasing fatigue, with less controlled casting, reaching but missing my target by a greater degree as time increased.

When I substituted the reel with an identical make and model, properly maintained, using the same rig, my effort to reach the target decreased, requiring significantly less effort and my accuracy increased immediately.

...using the same rod.

The cause of the inaccuracy was indirectly the reel but the root cause was the lack of care. (I always use reel covers after a trip but dont always rinse. But have been too long in between oiling. Rinsing would make a difference to. So it does speak to following mfg'. suggested care)

Last edited by TnTom; 10-17-09 at 03:42 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 04:25 PM   #5
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Learned how to use a bait casting reel back in the 60's using the old "knuckle busters" that were leftovers from my uncle's equipment. Also learned early on that if the rod was even close to being a match to the reel I could cast it. My uncle was a great teacher and in my early teens taught me how to disassemble reels, how to clean and maintain them with the right amount of 3 in 1 oil and a light touch of clear grease.

Over the years found that taking the time to clean and oil reels has probably been the #1 thing I could do to avoid problems while fishing in tournaments. By keeping each reel in the best condition I could allowed me to pick up any rod and reel combination and use it without having to make compensations.

I still have an old Black Abu Garcia 6000C that I have used for over 30 years. Other then the scratches in the paint it works as good today as it did back then.

For me consistency in the rod and reel combinations I use help me be as accurate as possible when casting and pitching.
Old 10-17-09, 04:33 PM   #6
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
I'd like to assume folks are fishing the appropriate gear properly rigged.
Come to where I fish; you would be amazed at the folks on a small 339 acre , flood control lake are using Salt water rods, with huge spining reels UPSIDE DOWN
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 10:30 AM   #7
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron49 View Post
Do you think a reel makes any difference in how accurately you can cast?
It would seem to make a much bigger difference with a casting reel than say an open faced spinning reel. Even still, as you pointed out, the "educated thumb" will likely make a huge difference, regardless of the specific [casting] reel used.
Old 10-19-09, 03:23 PM   #8
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In my opinion rod length will affect your accuracy more than anything else. You can cast more accurate with a shorter rod than a longer rod. Casting, not pitching.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.