Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-28-09, 07:29 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 10-15" paddle tail worms? -- favorite rigging?

Hey guys!

If you guys would like to share your favorite rigging tips and techniques, I would like to get into fishing huge paddle tail worms, I can fish the little ones fine! But I've never used the super big ones, 10" + basically. I'd really like to try to go pb hunting this spring break, I'd like to try paddle tail worm. Anyways, you wanna share some tips for big paddle tails? Also, if you have a favorite worm, I'd like to know that too!
T-rigged, C-rigged, secret way, what?
Mono, braid, flouro?
Working, rod action?
color?

You get the idea?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-09, 08:34 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

3/0 hook or better w/ 3/8th oz Tung weight. Mono 14# or better. MH rod w/Fast Action. Mann's Jelly Worm in Grape. T-rigged.
Old 03-28-09, 10:25 PM   #3
zaraflux
BassFishin.Com Member

What works for me is a Trig drug slowly across the bottom.I usually use a Yum big show I think the name of it is I on ly use it on a very hard rough bottom I think the tail gets more action this way as it is drug across theese types of bottom contours.Have used them with success in other situations but have had the most this way.
zaraflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 09:10 AM   #4
aikenyounggun

here this aint paddle tail worms but a great way to catch some big fish is to c-rig or t-rig a Zoom magnum Lizard .... these are a little over 8 inches.... just drag it and when it hits somethin a little different let it sit there longer and then pop it up and let it sit again.... 12 lb mono would work but 15 plus would be better
Old 03-29-09, 09:12 AM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
here this aint paddle tail worms but a great way to catch some big fish is to c-rig or t-rig a Zoom magnum Lizard .... these are a little over 8 inches.... just drag it and when it hits somethin a little different let it sit there longer and then pop it up and let it sit again.... 12 lb mono would work but 15 plus would be better
Interesting, I'll have to try that!
Old 03-29-09, 09:26 AM   #6
Jim80

Boss you are mostly gonna fish a bigger worm the same as you would fish a smaller one ,
As towards line and rigging I go 15-20lb fluorocarbon or 30 pound braid if fishing them in slop with a 3/16 bullet weight pegged on it , and i almost always t-rig worms and save c-rigging for creature baits and larger lizards if the situation calls for it .

Side note on fluoro over mono for me , the line sinks so it lets your bait get to the intended area faster than mono would .

Jim
Old 03-29-09, 09:30 AM   #7
JB

I throw the near ten inch Trixie with a 3/0 and usually on braid or mono
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 10:33 AM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

for 10 inch worms I use a 5/0 EWG hook tx-posed with a 3/8-1/2 oz bullet wt not pegged. Rod is a M fast action tip. Reel a Daiwa TDA Advantage 150A 6.3 to 1 ratio spooled with 30 lb Power Pro and a 4-6 ft 12 lb test mono leader. The worm is worked with a good pop up, then let it fall to the bottom, pause, then repeat, slowly working it back to the boat. When the Largemouth hit it, they really hit it. It's not a finesse presentation so hang on, especially since the bigger fish go after it.
Old 03-29-09, 01:39 PM   #9
Bassboss

Thanks guys! Helps a lot!

It's a rainy day so my fishing today was cut short to only about 2 hours, so I did not get to use the big worms.

I have a reel spooled with 30lb Ppro, I think I'll add a 15lb mono leader weather I do the T-rig, or the C-rig! When (I know I'll try both) I use a C-rig, I won't use a beed, and sinker combo, I have some swivels with rattles, so their will be no need for a glass beed! I'm also wondering what size weight I should use for c-rigs, I have some biggish bullet weights, not sure what they weigh, I got them a lot time ago. Also should I use a egg, or bullet weight for the c-rigs?

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-29-09, 01:42 PM   #10
Jim80

I use egg weights for crigs and most the time they are an ounce if you can swing the tungsten weights try using 2 or 3 of them for a louder click .

jim
Old 03-29-09, 02:13 PM   #11
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks guys! Helps a lot!

It's a rainy day so my fishing today was cut short to only about 2 hours, so I did not get to use the big worms.
Thanks again guys!
Kind of early to be throwing those big worms. I generally reserve them for the dead of summer when the Bass are most active. The rest of the time I'm throwing a 7 inch Power Worm.
Old 03-29-09, 03:06 PM   #12
cassidyta

I t-rig mine on a 7/0 hook. I don't like to C-rig the large worms because of all the short strikes and other species hitting them. On the large worms, I will usually develop some sort of cadence that involves dragging them for a little bit and then give them a big hop. I tend to let the larger worms sit in one place a little longer than I do the shorter ones. Especially if I am up against the tullies or a downed tree.

I will toss them this time of year (post-spawn). They have done me good when the bass are trying to get back some of the energy they lost on the spawn. I really only throw them very early morning, late evening/night and in the heat of the day.

As far as favorate type, I tend to only go ribbon tale if the water I am fishing is more than 20 foot deep. The action on the fall is the only reason. Almost all of mine are paddle tail.

Now, for the only secret rigging styles that I will use. I don't do this often, but it has helped me when the bite is tough. It is the closest thing to C-rigging the large worms that I do.
Take a coffee stirring straw (not the crimped one in the middle with two cylinders, but rather one cylinder about 1/32 of an inch in diamter) Use it to make a hole about 3 to 4 inches through the top of your bait and out the belly. Use a needle to thread your line down the straw. Once you tie on your hook, thread it back through the bait leaving about another inch below where the straw came out.
I use a 2/0 or 3/0 hook and make it so the hook is in the center of the bait. I do not peg the bullet weight. It gives the bait more of an inch worm action.
You WILL miss a lot of strikes, but hey, it is action that you are not getting if they don't hit it otherwise.

I wil also fly-rig them on a large 5/0-7/0 hook. Prior to doing that, I will thread the line through either a small craw or frog. It gives the appearance of a snake chasing or having caught prey. This often triggers a very agressive stirke because the snake/worm appears to be distracted. I will usually cast this presentation onto the shore or pads and have it lunge into the water quickly, then twitch it so that it remains in one location but still has motion.

All of these rigs are on 15 lbs fluoro
Old 03-29-09, 08:30 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I t-rig mine on a 7/0 hook. I don't like to C-rig the large worms because of all the short strikes and other species hitting them. On the large worms, I will usually develop some sort of cadence that involves dragging them for a little bit and then give them a big hop. I tend to let the larger worms sit in one place a little longer than I do the shorter ones. Especially if I am up against the tullies or a downed tree.

I will toss them this time of year (post-spawn). They have done me good when the bass are trying to get back some of the energy they lost on the spawn. I really only throw them very early morning, late evening/night and in the heat of the day.

As far as favorate type, I tend to only go ribbon tale if the water I am fishing is more than 20 foot deep. The action on the fall is the only reason. Almost all of mine are paddle tail.

Now, for the only secret rigging styles that I will use. I don't do this often, but it has helped me when the bite is tough. It is the closest thing to C-rigging the large worms that I do.
Take a coffee stirring straw (not the crimped one in the middle with two cylinders, but rather one cylinder about 1/32 of an inch in diamter) Use it to make a hole about 3 to 4 inches through the top of your bait and out the belly. Use a needle to thread your line down the straw. Once you tie on your hook, thread it back through the bait leaving about another inch below where the straw came out.
I use a 2/0 or 3/0 hook and make it so the hook is in the center of the bait. I do not peg the bullet weight. It gives the bait more of an inch worm action.
You WILL miss a lot of strikes, but hey, it is action that you are not getting if they don't hit it otherwise.

I wil also fly-rig them on a large 5/0-7/0 hook. Prior to doing that, I will thread the line through either a small craw or frog. It gives the appearance of a snake chasing or having caught prey. This often triggers a very agressive stirke because the snake/worm appears to be distracted. I will usually cast this presentation onto the shore or pads and have it lunge into the water quickly, then twitch it so that it remains in one location but still has motion.

All of these rigs are on 15 lbs fluoro
Very interesting cass! I'll havta try that!

Thanks guys!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.