Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-10, 04:55 PM   #1
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Grubs

Hey guys, Im wanting to learn more about using grubs for Bass. How do you usually fish them? How do you typically rig them? Type of retrieve?
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 05:16 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a lot of the Hula grubs by Yamamoto. Rig them on a jig head and fish them like a jig. Great smallmouth bait as seen here....

[IMG][/IMG]
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 09:45 PM   #3
Jrob78

I like t-rigging Zoom Fat Albert grubs with a 1/16 oz weight. You can fish them on the bottom, jig them or swim them. They also work well dropped in the holes in vegetation.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 10:33 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ditto on both the above.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 08:34 AM   #5
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like to bubby rig with a wide gap hook on the 4 inch grubs texposed with a splitshot crimped underneath on the "belly" of the hook. That way the weight ticks the bottom and the head of the grub swims side to side as the tail waggles the "dog" giving the whole grub action on the swim. Presentations are varied from dragging slowly on the bottom, to hopping, and swimming. One swimming presentation is to cast out into about 8 feet of water or deeper, letting sink to bottom, then swimming it in an acending trajectory with occasional twitches during the otherwise steady rising retrieve.....the little twitches often trigger the strikes.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 09:56 AM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like to swim them on fish head spins.
Old 04-13-10, 07:41 PM   #7
Marty

I usually fish them on a jighead with a jig spinner attached so I can work it horizontally like a spinnerbait.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 10:06 PM   #8
tim4081

I use a simple approach.....just bounce/twitch them along the bottom rigged on a round or football jighead. My current favorite is 1/8 round shakey head jig from Bite Me baits using spinning tackle. This has already been productive for me this year in cold water.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 11:25 PM   #9
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

Grubs -- that's a subject I can sink my teeth into. For what it's worth, I've been striper fishing all winter, and last Sunday was my first fresh water bass outing of the season. Water temp was mid 50s, and I caught 20 LMB. 3 each on a heavy jig, a creature bait, and a drop shot. And 11 on a smoke grub.

Rather than step on anyone's toes and post a link to an old grub fishing article on my site, I'll just paste the content here for anyone who cares to partake of it.

Secrets of a Grub Chucker -- Rich Zaleski, copyright 2000.

If I had to pick one lure to catch a fish from any body of water, it would probably be a jig of some type. In fact, there's a very good likelihood that it would entail an unpainted, lead head jig sporting a pair of wire weedguards and dressed with a nondescript, smoke colored plastic grub.

I chuck lots of different grubs. Curly tails, flat tails and boot tails. But other than in mid-summer, it's the boot tail design that dominates my grub fishing. The single grub I use most — the one that's caught more fish for me than any other — is a plain, no-flake-no-flash-no-frills, smoke colored, boot tail grub. I've caught fish on a pretty wide array of grub colors, too, from bright chartreuse with flakes and pepper, to dull brown, black, and even clear. Yet I know I could select three or four colors and feel comfortable relying on them in 99% of the grub fishing situations I face. Smoke; Green Pumpkin; Rusty Melon and Gourd Green. Yeah, that about does it. I'll take those colors and be happy. Heck, if I had smoke and any one of the other three, I'd be happy 99% of the time.

The common thread that runs through my grub color selection (admittedly it's not a very long run) is a low-vis, blend-with-the-background quality. What does a chunky, 2-1/2" hunk of plastic that becomes nearly invisible in the world of the bass and has only the slightest hint of wiggle imitate? Nothing. Everything. Anything. Minnow. Shad. Crawfish. Insect. Invertebrate. Whatever.

Because it's almost but not quite invisible, and has no pronounced action or vibration pattern, a bass can mistake it for whatever it's willing to feed on. I think it's imperative to realize that a bass's natural prey is camouflaged. Its survival depends on not being noticed. A smoke grub — especially one without any energetic action of its own — does a great job of imitating something that's naturally camouflaged and doing its best not to get noticed. It almost blends with just about any aquatic background. It moves gently (and usually slowly). In short, it does a better job of emulating the subtle cues that a bass is conditioned to respond to, and actually does a better job of emulating what a bass really sees when it spots a real meal than any detailed imitation of a specific type of prey.

The grub is definitely not best fished by just casting and winding. Sure, every now and then that approach will work. But grubbing isn't about every-now-and-then, it's about catching fish consistently. I don't just cast a grub to the edge of cover and let it sink or swim it away; I fish it in the cover. (Thus my preference for the wire weedguard style jighead shown above).

And once it clears the edge of the cover, I usually don't wind it back. Instead, I fish it across the bottom -- nudging it and jiggling it along, feeling for anything different or interesting. I fish a grub sliding down next to vertical or near vertical structure too, scraping the edge and catching on any protrusions. But I'm darn sure going to give it some extra time to work in the crease at the base of that vertical structure, once it reaches bottom.

Above all, I try to keep the grub in jeopardy, and when it's not somehwere it might get hung, I'm using it as a probe, feeling for the next potential snag; The next potential fish holding lie. I want to keep that grub in contact with the bottom, trying to get itself in trouble. I use it to fish by braille, searching for the next spot that's likely to hold a bass.

Admittedly, over the last 8 or 10 years, the dropshot rig has supplanted the grub as my #1, go-to finesse presentation. But there are still days when that chunky little grub will kick some serious tail while the drop shot's not getting bit, and it remains one of my most used presentations early and late in the season.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 07:11 AM   #10
Mac2

Rich Z,

Thanks for posting once again......great info and muchly appreciated.
Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 12:01 PM   #11
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

This has turned into a great thread, thanks so much for all the insight everyone. Thanks Rich!!
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.