Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-11-12, 10:44 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Taking the Wife Bass Fishing

So, as a few of you know I purchased a Boat back in March. I’ve taken the wife a few times fishing but every time we go she hasn’t caught a thing and to add to it, I haven’t caught a thing. I’ve caught fish on my new boat, but I’ve never caught fish with her on the boat. She told me on Tuesday that she didn't think I ever caught fish because she has never seen it!!! I Politely told her it was because if you want to catch fish you can’t sleep in until 9:30am, have your coffee and paper in bed, roll out at 10:30 get showered and changed and expect to have a lot of success on the water at High NOON!

So, I’ve got her talked into letting me take her “REAL” Bass fishing tomorrow morning, bright and early before the sun comes up. I’ve got it all planned out and I can’t wait! I’m going to put a Frog on her line and just use my ipilot trolling motor along the edges of the grass and I absolutely can’t wait to see a big ole 4-5# Bass explode on her Frog!!!

I’ll be sure to post pictures tomorrow afternoon!
Old 05-11-12, 11:32 AM   #2
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

Good luck, show her how it's done!
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 12:32 PM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mumpy congrates on finally getting her out 'FISHING'.
You have it exactly right! Once she just sees a biggie bust water on a frog...."HOOKED". You'll now have a great fishing companion.

I'm looking for a post titled 'I love it when a plan comes together' tomorrow.

Swing by Duncans Donuts for a coffee and roll for her ride to the launch, she'll start the day with a smile and end the day with a smile. How cool is that.
Good luck and good fishing!
Old 05-11-12, 05:30 PM   #4
Mumpy

@JoeDog - You're RIGHT!! Didn't think about that!!!

I'll post pics!
Old 05-11-12, 07:45 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't wait to read the followup! Great idea Joe! I rigged my wife up with a Bandit crankbait last year and she scored big. That was one of my favorite days on the water. Best of luck buddy!
Old 05-12-12, 12:10 AM   #6
lilmule

Actually I do best between 11am and 1pm,when hotter than hades with a frog.
Must be the overhead umbrella.But quality time is quality time,regardless of when.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:50 AM   #7
Mumpy

Check out the report! Man this is going to be great!

Bass fishing is fair and anglers could use a frog most of the day. If this bite dies, go to the creek and river ledges with a deep running crank bait like a Mann’s 20+. The fish are feeding on threadfin shad around the ledges, and some sort of structure on the ledge really helps. If you can’t get them on the crank bait, try fishing a big worm or a jig very slowly. There are a lot of small 12 to 14 inch fish out there and encouraged anglers to keep these small fish and eat them. Early try the small shad imitating top water bait. Work the areas about halfway back in the creeks where the creek channel swings in against the bank. Look for shad and fish activity on the surface. Once the top water bite is over for numbers and quality fish use the crank bait on shallow main lake and creek channel ledges in the 6 to 10 foot range.
Old 05-12-12, 06:20 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

Mumpy I hope yall are yinging back on some nice ones as I type. You never said where you've been taking her, but that looks an awful lot like a Eufala report to me. Makes me a little homesick.
Old 05-12-12, 08:22 AM   #9
lilmule

Around thick topped vegetation of any kind ,the top water bite is never over.Its an all day long event most likly all night as well but to tuckered out to do a marathon.
Besides she would love something like this.
Old 05-13-12, 07:16 AM   #10
Mumpy

Well guys, I tried is about all I can say. I woke up yesterday morning at 4:15am and pre-heated the oven for 17 minutes and then threw in a Strawberry cream cheese pastry while I loaded the vehicle and made the coffee. @5am I woke her with a Cup of Coffee and an amazingly tasty pastry and at 5:15 we were on the road.

We arrived at Rood Creek just after 6am and by the time I launched and parked the truck it was just becoming safe light.

It began to drizzle rain but we were in good spirits and was not about to let a little rain bother us as we tossed top water lures for the next two hours and caught nothing, not even a hit!

I then grabbed my Dropshot Rig that I had tied up with a Shakeyhead on the bottom for my weight instead of a Dropshot weight and first cast I caught a 3+# Bass. He had swallowed the Junebug Flirt I put on the Shakeyhead jig and since I have been wanting a few Bass Filet's I decided to keep him.

Very next cast same spot I hook into a 2+# Bass on the Dropshot portion of the rig on a 6" Aarons Magic Roboworm. I am like ecstatic about my findings! Is it really going to be this easy?

So with soaking wet fingers I tie up the same type of Rig for my wife, it took me like 15+ minutes to tie it all up but finally got it done and the next couple of hours our trip went like this...

Wife - "Awwww, I'm hung up"
Me - Here let me see it SNAP
Me - 15 mintues of tying up again
Wife - "Awwwww, I'm hung up
Me - Let me see it SNAP
By now you get the picture

So I rigged up a Senko Waky worm for her and showed her how to fish it but that became very boring to her.

I managed to catch two more Bass before we headed home, one on a Watermelon Red Flirt made by Reaction Innovations on the Shakeyhead part of the rig and another on an Ice color roboworm on the dropshot portion of the rig.

She still said she absolutely loved going out and I'm sure it's only a matter of another trip and she will catch one, I have too many good spots on that lake for us to Tank for two trips in a row. Man we saw some awesome 10' Gators and it's mating season for them and they were bellowing so loud that it was vibrating the damn cove we were in. Sounded like monsters! She got a kick out of that.

I want to thank all of you guys for your help and encouragement.

@Keithdog - Yes it was a Eufaula Report, my favorite of all the lakes around here.
Old 05-13-12, 12:07 PM   #11
lilmule

If she hooks one of those ten ft bull gators I wanna see a pic of you lipping it.
If you can find a large top prop with a single hook remove the grub and put an 8 in worm on it like fishing with a bobber,she wont hang up much and they will grab it when not hitting topwater.
Old 05-15-12, 06:48 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

Hey Mumpy don't give up on her. A few years back when my wife decided she wanted to really LEARN to fish I would find some fish on Mon and then take her on Tues. Also started her out with crankbaits so that she was always "doing" something and because she didn't have to try and feel the difference between a bite and not a bite....the fish just piled on! Now(3 yrs later) she is quite the angler.

I might have already asked you this but have you ever looked into getting access to some of the private lakes at Callaway Gardens? I fished those lakes back in the 70's -80's....absolute gems...well worth an inquiry. When you're trying to get a beginner hooked it's always a good idea to do as much as possible to guarantee results. (athough tossing a springtime topwater at first light on Eufala in a drizzle ought to be a lock)
Old 05-15-12, 07:15 AM   #13
Mumpy

I'll post a picture later when I get to work, but she finally got one last night. We got on the water around 6:45pm and probably was at my first spot around 7pm. We had some heavy rains on Mothers Day so the water was stained up a bit. I reached in my Senko box, grabbed a 6" Junebug Senko, Threw a Wacky ring on it and told her to throw it at the grass line, let it sink to the bottom, raise your rod tip up 12" let it sink, raise it 10" let it sink and reel it back to the boat and repeat.

15 Minutes later I'm on the front of the boat and I hear that lovely sound of Braided line being reeled in under stress. Sure enough I look back and she's fighting one.

Probably a Pound and a half, it was one Chunky Monkey!

I'll post a pic later. She was one happy girl!
Old 05-15-12, 08:44 AM   #14
Mumpy

Ok, so above you have the story of the Bass, now I would like to add a little bit to it. I would like to direct your attention to Kennethdaysale's post and his last part say's

(Although tossing a springtime topwater at first light on Eufaula in a drizzle ought to be a lock)

You are correct sir, it should be and I couldn't explain why we didn't get ONE BITE on Saturday morning... UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!! Before we take off from the house I wanted to put some drinks in the cooler and ice over them. I open up the cooler and to my surprise, look what I find!!! THE CULPRIT!!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.