Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-31-13, 11:27 AM   #1
Dshow28
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sun Protection

I plan on getting serious about sun protection this year. I'm tired of at the end of the day my face looking like this despite fooling with messy sunscreen on the boat, not to mention the severe risk of skin cancer associated with sun damage. I'm thinking about getting one of those sun mask simular to what you see Shaw Grigsby wearing. Do any of you use a sun mask and if so are they somewhat cool and bearable to wear on a hot day.
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 11:49 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have one and I wear glasses. The problem is the glasses fogging if I cover my nose, which gets the brunt of the sunburn. I use it to keep my lower face and ears (another victim of the sun) covered and resort to putting the zinc oxide on my nose. It looks like crap, but it helps.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 11:51 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

After talking to a couple people about them (including WaffleJaw), I decided to order a Buff. They've got numerous different models, and is probably what Grigsby was wearing.

I ordered mine in the fall, and haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but used it a couple times mowing the lawn and liked it. Mine is the UV Buff in the Tarpon pattern, but I'm sure the normal ones are fine too for sun protection.

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collec...ilter/original

BB
Old 01-31-13, 12:35 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

The buffs work great...But yes they will fog glasses if you cover the nose but still worth it then a beat red face.
I also wear the DrShade glacier gloves..Long sleeve performance shirts and quick dry pants in the 103 degree weather......No real complaints yet.

It helps a lot conserving energy at the end of the day....
Old 01-31-13, 05:34 PM   #5
Dshow28

I'm looking at this one.. not a bad price

http://www.anglerscenter.com/gifts-clothing/gifts/neckwear/guy-harvey-fish-stripes-sun-mask/[/URL]
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 11:27 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Dshow, I haven't used that, but I am a huge fan of Bullfrog sunscreen. I get the spray on so my hands don't get any on them and it really keeps me from getting burned. Having had a couple basal cell carcinomas I ALWAYS wear it on the water.
Old 02-01-13, 05:40 PM   #7
lilmule

Stop at any dollar general store get a bottle of aloe vera,just before when you go out disappears after applying if you forget use after as takes the sting out costs tad over 1 dollar
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 07:22 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Stop at any dollar general store get a bottle of aloe vera,just before when you go out disappears after applying if you forget use after as takes the sting out costs tad over 1 dollar
Name:  aloe vera 2.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  9.8 KB
Aloe Vera user=age 66
Name:  buff.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  7.3 KB
Buff user=age 67
4 out 5 dermatologist recommend head gear (and the 5th one is expected to cave soon)
Old 02-01-13, 07:54 PM   #9
nofearengineer

A wide-brimmed hat helps a lot.
Old 02-01-13, 08:00 PM   #10
Jrob78

When I know I'm going to be outside for long periods of time, I go with the wide brimmed hat and upf rated, long sleeve shirts and pants. I'm going to get a pair of sun gloves and a buff this year too. You can't be too careful in the sun.
Old 02-01-13, 11:59 PM   #11
Bassboss

Man I really should ware the stuff. It's kinda a pain the butt though when you're outside every day all day swimming, fishing, bonfiring during the summer.

They need to make sunscreen soap.

Scratch that.. but hey, only 15 bucks!

http://www.amazon.com/Solise-Body-Wa...9777623&sr=1-1
Old 02-02-13, 08:57 AM   #12
OkobojiEagle

Work during the day... fish during the evening.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 01:55 PM   #13
woody

I can remember a certain someone at last year's Zookerfest whose exposed skin matched the color of the T-shirt he was wearing. hahahaha

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 02:57 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I can remember a certain someone at last year's Zookerfest whose exposed skin matched the color of the T-shirt he was wearing. hahahaha
-Mark
I hope you're talking about this guy:

I don't remember getting super burnt last year, though maybe my memory has been compromised by heat stroke...

I certainly did the year before at Wheeler! I was extra crispy by the end of that week.
Old 02-02-13, 09:21 PM   #15
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I hope you're talking about this guy:

I don't remember getting super burnt last year, though maybe my memory has been compromised by heat stroke...

I certainly did the year before at Wheeler! I was extra crispy by the end of that week.
That's one ugly dude right there!!!!!!
Old 02-02-13, 11:48 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

I used to never even think twice about getting sun burnt while fishing, it always just seemed like part of the deal. After a close call with a spot on my back that my wife spotted and the doctor removed in time, I started being a lot more careful. I do have a UV Buff but haven't been too comfortable wearing it, plus I chew and it's a pain trying to spit while wearing it. I wear a boonie hat once the sun gets up and I wear long sleeve UPF shirts and I also cover any exposed skin with sunscreen. The UPF shirts are amazingly cool, in fact in the dead of summer here when the air temp is above 100 degrees, you can take it off and dunk it in the water and when you put it back on it is almost uncomfortably cold for about 5 minutes and will stay damp and cool for about an hour.

Here is the best sunscreen I have found. It is a spray so there is no mess and it feels like it is dry when it goes on, almost powder like so there is no greasy feeling what so ever. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Missi...page-MASD.html
Old 02-04-13, 04:55 PM   #17
Captmikestarrett

I use the buff / big brim hat and spf 50 long sleeve and pants. Even use sun gloves with micro suede palms.
At first you are hot in the buff and after just a wee bit of sweat it becomes a chiller. If 100 plus then dip in cooler and place on head-neck area. Instant cool down.
Have you ever wondered why dessert nomads wear head gear and full cover on there bodies?

It is called wicking to cool.

Point is to keep skin from sun and allow mosture to wick into thin light quick dry clothes.
Capt Mike
Old 02-05-13, 11:39 AM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Dshow, I haven't used that, but I am a huge fan of Bullfrog sunscreen. I get the spray on so my hands don't get any on them and it really keeps me from getting burned. Having had a couple basal cell carcinomas I ALWAYS wear it on the water.
I second the Bullfrog.
Sunscreen and insect repellant in one handy lil spray bottle
Old 02-17-13, 11:15 AM   #19
Old Hooker

My only problem with the Bullfrog is it doesn't rub into the skin completely and it looks like car wax waiting to be buffed out. Laugh if you want, but I get the bottles of 50 SPF sunscreen for babys. It absorbs completely into the skin quickly and works just fine. Works very well on the nose and ears too. A wide brim army issue boonie hat is also mandatory.
Old 02-17-13, 03:28 PM   #20
lilmule

Hmm laugh all you want about the aloe vera its a cactus extract and good enuff for apachie and pima squaws.Talk about going green it is all the way both in use and what its made from,looks like thick gooey green slime.
As for the baby sunscreen works about the same put it on and all disappears and sinks in.
I had 100 + days on the water last year got sunburned zero times,even wore shorts,sandals and T shirt.
And no wont show no pics of me bare legs this is a family oriented forum dont desire to scare anyone.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-17-13 at 03:33 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:25 AM   #21
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
My only problem with the Bullfrog is it doesn't rub into the skin completely and it looks like car wax waiting to be buffed out. Laugh if you want, but I get the bottles of 50 SPF sunscreen for babys. It absorbs completely into the skin quickly and works just fine. Works very well on the nose and ears too. A wide brim army issue boonie hat is also mandatory.

Hmmm....the Bullfrog I use is a spray.
No need for buffing or waxing

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.