Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-05-14, 09:14 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Don't Laugh

Anyone know of a higher-end spincasting reel?

Carla loves fishing, like all-day fishing...but she hasn't ever used nice tackle before. She saw my arsenal and just laughed.

I think I can get her using one of my spinning combos, but for now a decent spincast outfit is called for. Either that or we're gonna have to fish 15 feet from the bank. Not doing it.
Old 02-05-14, 09:27 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Check out the Zebco Omega. They are a little pricey for a spincast but they are really nice and not just for kids.
Old 02-05-14, 09:36 PM   #3
lilmule

My wife has always used the silver 66.Zebco of course.Even her older 33 will cast more than 15 ft.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 12:23 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Red face

She does not sound like a novice, so I suggest you move her right into a decent spinning combo and be done with it until she is ready to move up to casting equipment. I know people use them, but in my narrow minded opinion, they belong in the hands of raw beginners not an individual looking to improve their skills. I have tried ONE spin cast reel in my life - hated it - and I think a spinning reel is easier to cast and control once you make a couple casts with one. I'm starting my grandsons with spinning gear, they won't start with a Mickey or Snoopy spin caster, no sir, it may take a bit longer to teach them but I'm retired so I can take a few extra minutes.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:02 AM   #5
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No matter what spincast reel she uses, if it's only casting 15', sounds like you need more line on the spool. What brand reel? Just go get her a Zebco 33. They're no brainers. Then you'll be keeping her 150' from the bank to keep her outa the trees. $80 plus for a spincast Omega is nuts. You're into "GOOD" spinning reels & low end baitcasters at that price. Keep her happy ....get her what she's comfortable with.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:46 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
Keep her happy ....
NO, NO, NO... She's a girlfriend, keeping her happy is a mistake. Train her right or you will never have any peace, on the other hand - then you may never get another piece... If you give her the upper hand and happiness now, she will expect it forever and you are a doomed to become puzzy whipped.

Oh, I forgot, you admitted to being "whipped" several months ago. Too late. Never mind.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 04:26 PM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The upper end spincaster are decent. Zebco makes some good ones in their upper line. Garcia Abumatics are decent but hard to spool. Diawa makes some decent spincasters as well. Watch the gear ratio if she is fishing anything that needs speed because spincasters are notoriously slow on retrieve.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 03:16 PM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Check out the Zebco Omega. They are a little pricey for a spincast but they are really nice and not just for kids.
Jrob gave you the right advice. The omega is the only spincast reel made thats built similar to a casting reel. Most spin cast reels are designed to be used until they break, and then tossed. They are held together with rivets so they can't be disassembled and worked on other than a few major components. The omega can be completly disassembled and cleaned. It's built like a little tank. They are expensive compared to other spincast reels, but well worth the cost. I know several tournamnet level anglers that use them as skipping reels. They skip like a spinning reel but have the strength of a casting reel and a strong drag to boot.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 06:52 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will probably get her an Omega as an early birthday present so she can use it at Dale Hollow.
Old 02-08-14, 12:36 AM   #10
bcklash

JUST GOT TO
Old 02-09-14, 06:26 PM   #11
keithdog

I purchased the Daiwa Gold Cast 120 for my wife a few years back and it's been a very good reel. Has decent line capacity, and an osilating spool. Only complaint is that it rides a bit high on the rod which make a smaller hands pressing the cast release button a bit of an uncomfortable stretch, but not bad. I did happen to take a look at Bas Pro Shops Extreme Spin cast reel and I was rather impressed with it. Just might buy one of those myself. The BPS Extreme as a 4.6:1 gear ratio with a IMT of 27 inches which is much faster than most spin cast reels. Aluminum frame, and has a star drag which I really like over the little wheel most reels come with. The spool oscillates as well on retrieve. Check it out.

Last edited by keithdog; 02-09-14 at 06:40 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 05:53 PM   #12
3dkicker

Woo Daves uses a spincast outfit. Forget which one it is but I saw him use one in a video that he had out. He likes to flip worms in grass and reeds with it. Said it gives him a better vertical drop compared to baitcaster.
Old 02-11-14, 08:13 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Woo uses a reel similar to Carlie Taylor's center button ABU.
Think it is a 505.

Woo fished with Glen Peacock to pre-fish the BP Pro-Am on the Potomac and was smitten with his center spin reels. Later Woo won a trolling motor and sent it to Glen Peacock. If ever in BPS Hanover MD bathroom look at the pic above the sinks. That is Glen.

Capt Dave just got one from Capt Brady Bounds this weekend.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.