Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-11, 06:52 PM   #26
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks, Tav. I also like abu g reels and I think they look good. I have a round reel that is sporting abec 7 bearings and it casts as well as my curado 201BSF.
Old 01-26-11, 10:19 PM   #27
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My recommendation really depends on the baits you will be throwing. The bigger/deeper running baits you are going to throw the lower the gear ratio you want. I throw shallow baits, i.e. Bandit 100s on a 6.3 to 1. I throw big bruisers like a DD-22 on a 4.7:1 reel. Throwing a DD-22 on a 6.3:1 I'm good for about 5 casts. I can throw the same bait on a low GR reel all day. I do throw lipless baits on a 7.1:1 reel, so you can see I'm all over the board, but there is a method to my madness.

In a nutshell, the bigger, deeper bait you are going to throw the lower the GR I'd recommend. I have done a lot of trial and error and found this works for me.
Old 01-28-11, 01:31 PM   #28
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For shallow cranks, say 0 to 10 feet, I use a BPS Pro Qualifer with a 5.2:1. The rod is a BPS Crankin' Stick 7' med/fast. This set up works good for me.

Like Rebbaser, I also throw lipless cranks on a 7.1:1 and a 7' med/fast rod. I like to have a dedicated rod and reel set up for different things.
Old 01-30-11, 02:10 AM   #29
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

Also, consider how it fits in your hand. The newer smaller low-profiles are easier to hold and cause less hand fatigue than the bigger low-profiles.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 12:40 PM   #30
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
My opinion is the Curado is a better reel for the lighter baits, the spool seems to start up faster than the Revo. Not sure about spool weights but based on performance I would think that the Curado's spool would be lighter. I also feel that head to head the Curado, out performed the Winch in both distance of cast, and smoothness of retrieve. Like I stated before, I consider myself to be an ABU guy, but in this case I feel Shimano has the better product. Hope it helps.

Let's dig up an old discussion!!!... I recently purchased a Gen2 Premier and am thinking about changing out the gears to 5.4 : 1 Winch gears. The goal is to have a slower retrieve reel that will cast relatively light crankbaits an uncommonly long distance.

What says the board?...

oe

Last edited by OkobojiEagle; 05-30-15 at 07:09 PM.
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 06:26 PM   #31
mikechell

I use two inch Husky Jerks a lot. All of my lighter lures are thrown on spinning reels.
The lightest lure I use a baitcaster for is weightless Sticko baits.

Why do you want a slower retrieve reel? You can always slow the retrieve of a faster reel, hard to reel in a slow reel faster. Slower retrieves allow for more power to pull with ... but the smaller hooks on smaller lures might not withstand that.

Anyway ... small, light crank baits, for me, means spinning reel.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 07:07 PM   #32
OkobojiEagle

With a 2" Husky Jerk I'd be using a spinning reel also, the small cranks I'm writing about would be Wiggle Warts or Bandit sized... ~1/4oz. I don't buy into the faster is better mentality. Slower can mean a bass might see what their senses are feeling in stained or dirty water. Also, many crankbaits won't run true if retrieved too quickly (as is so with spinnerbaits). 5:1 ratios give me pretty accurate speed control with my normal handle rotation speed.

oe
Old 05-30-15, 09:29 PM   #33
bassboogieman

I have a couple Gen2 Winch reels and they are very good for cranking baits that dive. I prefer a faster reel for lipless cranks as they can run faster. The lower ratio and power in the Winch reel is easier on the wrist when you are throwing diving cranks all day.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 11:02 PM   #34
mikechell

I approach fishing differently, I guess. I very rarely fish open water, and I rarely fish the entire distance from my target to the boat. So, after working the lure around the target, and reel it in and cast to the next target.
For me, a faster reel speed means I can retrieve and cast faster. It's got nothing to do with fishing speed. I use the rod to work the bait, the reel to retrieve it.
I also do not use the reel to fight a fish. I doubt many others do, either. I fight the fish until the rod is vertical, then reel in line while lowering the rod. In fact, I've called many people on trying to "reel" in a fish instead of pumping it in.
So, it's all about casting ... small, light lures are cast on spinning gear, larger heavier lures, flipping and pitching are done on level winds.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 12:14 AM   #35
bassboogieman

I fish a moving lure all the way back to the boat, bass will follow a bait. Muskie are notorious followers, as are pike and snakeheads. I have had all those 4 species strike a lure as I was about to lift the lure fom the water at boat side. I find that especially true when fishing a spinnerbait but have had rattletraps and chatterbaits hit at boat side also.

I reel fish in, fish under 3# anyway dependant on what line and rod I am using (more so with single hook baits than trebles) by keeping the rod high and winding fast and sometimes the fish are skimming along on the surface. Big fish are fought with the rod, lifting the fish then taking up line while lowering the rod tip.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-31-15 at 12:20 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 02:56 AM   #36
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Let's dig up an old discussion!!!... I recently purchased a Gen2 Premier and am thinking about changing out the gears to 5.4 : 1 Winch gears. The goal is to have a slower retrieve reel that will cast relatively light crankbaits an uncommonly long distance.

What says the board?...

oe
OE, the gears from the Winch are not compatible with the Gen 2 Premier. Reason being that the Winch uses a single piece spool or in other words, it uses a long shaft that runs through the center of the pinion and to the other side of the reel in the tension cap. The Gen 2 Premier makes use of a two piece spool design with only a stub shaft on the rear of the spool.

The problem is that the pinion gears are different lengths in the two designs to support the different length/reach required to engage the spool pin.

Kevin Rush and I have had many discussions on possible ways to resolve this issue, but I have never been able to come up with anything that would work. You might give Kevin a call and see if he was able to find a solution.
Old 06-09-15, 08:12 AM   #37
OkobojiEagle

Thanks Tony... The guys (and Gal) at the Abu service center explained the same to me. I put on 20lb tracer braided line instead to better watch (slow down) my reeling speed.

Where've you been lately, haven't seen you in the middle of any arguments, uh, I mean discussions on Bass Resource lately... Shoot me your email address sometime, then I can bother you with silly questions directly? (EvansClothing@iowatelecom.net)

oe
Old 06-09-15, 11:33 AM   #38
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Thanks Tony... The guys (and Gal) at the Abu service center explained the same to me. I put on 20lb tracer braided line instead to better watch (slow down) my reeling speed.

Where've you been lately, haven't seen you in the middle of any arguments, uh, I mean discussions on Bass Resource lately... Shoot me your email address sometime, then I can bother you with silly questions directly? (EvansClothing@iowatelecom.net)

oe
Check your PM's

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.