Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-04-09, 12:39 PM   #1
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 10" Worms

This is more of a.... BS'ing thread, Im not really asking a question im just looking for opinions.

I dont see a lot of people using them but they have been working great with me this whole summer. I go out fishing with my friends and i outfish just about everyone with these. I use the Powerbait 10" worms. I like Black/Blue fleck, Watermelon Candy, and other dark colered ones.

Im usually t-rigging using size 5/0 wide gap hooks or offset hooks with these big worms, and I've been having a lot of success overall.

I'v also tried RageTail worms, the big ones... but for some reason they dont seem to cast as well.... I just cant get any distance with them.

Well, let me know what you guys think, thanks.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 12:47 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I throw a lot of bigger worms as well. Lately I have been using the zoom monsters. I felt that they were a little more durable than the power worms. I mostly stick with tequilla sunrise or black.
Old 09-04-09, 01:55 PM   #3
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

I really like the big worms because when the tip get all beat up I can tear off half an inch and its almost like a new one, and i can do this several times before it becomes the size of a normal 7" worm. Plus, i catch big and small fish with these, I'v caught a lot of fish that were shorter than the whole worm itself.
Old 09-04-09, 02:08 PM   #4
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check these worms out:
http://westcoastcustomtackle.com/cat...products_id=12

He does custom colors too...tell him I sent you and you will find some extras in your package!!!
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 02:10 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyoBoyle View Post
I really like the big worms because when the tip get all beat up I can tear off half an inch and its almost like a new one, and i can do this several times before it becomes the size of a normal 7" worm. Plus, i catch big and small fish with these, I'v caught a lot of fish that were shorter than the whole worm itself.
I thought that weird at first but I don't imagine it is difficult for a fish to digest a worm. I just have a hard time finding a place that sells 10" + worms.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 02:12 PM   #6
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Gander Mountain, Cabela's, BPS, Im guessing all the big name bait stores. Wal-Mart doesn't have em
Old 09-04-09, 02:53 PM   #7
TravisRush

Check out that website I posted...they are better than any brand name bait you can find! He sells tons of dropshot baits too...but that Tournament Worm is quality, and while only 7", catches some nice Lake WA smallies and largies
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 04:25 PM   #8
3dkicker

Zoom and Yum make some good 9" and 10" worms. Watermelon and GP work very well. I catch a lot of small bass on them too. Probably due to the small diameter of the worms. Use a 3/8 oz tungsten flippin wt and a 2/0 or 3/0 offset and you're good. No 5/0 needed. I haven't rigged up the 14" or 16" Luhr worms yet but might do it the next time out.
Old 09-04-09, 06:13 PM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Really? I think they cast better than most! I use them weightless most of the time! My fave 10" worms are gander mt. brand, and rage tail. I'd like to try the power worms, but my 10" worm box has no room!
Old 09-04-09, 06:24 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Bait monkey says, "Then you need another box."
I've used the power worms, and had some success with them. I like them for stained/muddy conditions, to push a lot of water around. I couldn't find anything bigger Zoom worms than 7" at our Academy Sports here, and I was wanting to give them a shot.
Old 09-04-09, 06:52 PM   #11
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i use zoom mag II worms a lot. mostly in junebug and tequilla green. love to fish the mag II worms but other than that i dont fish with a whole lot of big worms.
Old 09-04-09, 11:13 PM   #12
swimbaitkid

they 10in power worm can be used all year too,if u think about it,people say big fish dont like to work hard for there meals,sooooo a big slow moving worm in winter can work just as good as it did in the summer,bc when its hot during the summer,the fish get sluggish and lazy during the day and they are like that during winter too. maybe something to try this winter,plus a lot of people wont be throwing big worms,the fish will see every jerkbait on the market though during winter.haha
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 07:25 AM   #13
Bassboss

lol MB, I think you're right!

Later today when we go fishing, I'm gonna be throwing a rage tail around some hyacinth. Gonna be swimming as slow as I can bare with a 1/16 oz weight. I'll let ya know how it works!
Old 09-05-09, 08:16 AM   #14
Jigger

I agree with everything you just said from the brand of worm to the hook. Summertime is 10 " worm time. Try June Bug.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 09:16 AM   #15
aikenyounggun

yeah i like big worms too, and when fishin a pond where the fish arent as tuned into stuff so big zoom mag II worms have been killin em recently

good thing about worms like you said is they will catch small fish too and when the head gets ripped up you just take 1/2 inch off
Old 09-06-09, 03:07 PM   #16
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use 10" worms alot too. My brother and I won $1,000 in our last tournament with big fish (5.80 lbs.) My brother caught it on a 10" BPS Tournament Series worm in black/blue flake.
Old 09-06-09, 08:16 PM   #17
JB

I used the ten inch worm TRixie from Reaction Innovations (sweet beaver maker) and it looks great working the structure.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 09:11 AM   #18
keithdog

How are you guys working these big 10 inch worms? Are you swimming them along weightless, crawling them across the bottom or jigging them up and down off the bottom? I just purchased a package of 10 inch Waveworms in Junebug. I've not done a lot with worm fishin, and what I have done has mostly been weightless with Senko type worms or swimming a 7 inch ribbontail slowly along weightless. But this type of fishin is hard for me. I'm not the most patient guy around, lol.

Also, do you run the hook into the worm father when rigging it up than you do say a 6 inch worm? Normally on a smaller worm, I'll run the hook into the nose and back out again about 1/4 inch into the worm so the bend in the offset hook is possitioned right near the nose of the worm. But I'm thinking with a longer worm, you can easily thread the hook through the worm a couple inches from the nose before bringing it back out and in turn this will put the hook further towards the back of the worm which in my mind would improve hookups.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-07-09 at 09:28 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 11:12 AM   #19
Mac2

Keithdog, I'm not certain which way a bass hits a larger worm, from the rear or front....I'm thinking if the bass reads it as a snake, it might well strike at the head end...
At any rate, I don't think your threading the worm on a couple inches would hurt one way or the other. Personally, I tend to balance my worms by doing just that, just haven't much experience with the bigger worms.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 12:20 PM   #20
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Keithdog,

When I use these big worms, I almost always give that hook insert a little more than usual if your using smaller hooks. I try to get the hook towards the center of the worm as much as possible. I like to use Gammy Offset Shank size 5/0. These are perfect for big worms and I've been getting great hookups with them.

As far as how I fish them, I jig them along the bottom. I use no weight, unless the lake or pond is really deep, then I might drop-shot it. But I usually cast and let it drop for a good 5 seconds minimum before I start slowly jigging it back. I try to keep it as close to the bottom as possibly, but there your fighting a battle with patience!

I've caught a lot of big fish with these worms, and a few small ones.

OH, I'v observed how some fish like to bite these worms. At this one pond theres a really shallow spot where some bass always hang out at and you can see them. First thing I've noticed with this shallow spot is when a bass will strike a bait. Usually when I move the worm at a steady rate by the bass The only look at it, but dont really approach it. When I move it at the steady rate then stop and let it sink to the bottom, thats when the bass start moving in on it, and one usually beats the others to it. And I'v noticed they mostly always take the worm by the center, so the worm is perpendicular to the bass when the worms in its mouth.
Old 09-07-09, 09:58 PM   #21
fishin' fool

I fished Berkley's 10 inch womrs on the Mississppi river this past august. I was using them on a carolina rig fishing rock points just adjacent to the river channel. I caught one smallmouth bass on them and had a few other bites but think they were to small to eat the worm. This was really the first time in along time I've really fished a 10 inch worm, and I do see where they have their place. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.