Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-06-06, 11:19 PM   #1
basser_37
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basser_37
Default Some questions on older motor

Right now on my 1988 Hydra Sports, I'm running a 140 horse Suzuki outboard. it's worked fine without problems so far, but i'm wondering if i shouldnt be using that 10% ethanol gas in the regular 87 octane. is this hard on older motors? should i be running ethanol free 93 octane? Any additives you guys use that help your engine? just looking for some pointers, im trying to keep it going strong through this year before i hopefully upgrade. thanks
Old 03-07-06, 08:13 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

basser
do not mix and match with jap moters. all jap moters are set up for 86 octane -or lower - i know we can only get 87 here in the USA. jap moters are set and adjusted for this octane. 93 octane will foul them beyond belief.. i know i had an engine rebuild because of 93 in my yammaha.

pre fuel injected moters made in the US -merc,omc,chystler-can and will run 93 to a better capacity. merc optimax and rude e-tech all call for 87 octane gas..

what year is the susucky?

zooker
Old 03-07-06, 11:41 PM   #3
basser_37
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not exactly sure off the top of my head, but i think its an 88. basically, if i mess it up on a stump, its done.i guess 87 octane is the best i can do, im just unsure on that 10% ethanol deal. i just need to make it last through the summer i think. maybe 20 outings? im going to do my prefishing out of other boats i think, less cost of fuel, that boy burns it like it aint no thang. i dont run it by choice. i needed a boat and my uncle was selling it cheap so i took it. motor at most has 100 hours on it. the whole package has sat around quite a bit, im the first one to really use it a lot. my plan is to just take good care of it until i can upgrade.
Old 03-08-06, 09:49 AM   #4
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i have an 88 DT150(suzuki) on my gambler..run regular gas.never a problem..don't know about and wouldn't try ethanol.
Old 03-08-06, 01:50 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

anit bad less than a 100 hours is pretty good. take it to a decent wrench and have him tune it up. also first tank or 2 of gas use sea foam in the gas tank.. exspect to totally foul the plugs. replace the plugs and run regular gas.. check lower unit oil make sure it is all good.

zooker
Old 03-09-06, 12:01 AM   #6
basser_37
BassFishin.Com Member

Nice to see somebody that has one, thanks for all advice. mines a DT140, gets around good, just all the gas stations around here are 10% ethanol. i ran it last year and didnt have any problems, i was just thinking for the long term. it ain't a pro x/s or e-tec, but it works for me right now.
Old 03-09-06, 12:11 AM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you can't kill it unless you hit something with it.
Old 03-09-06, 02:35 AM   #8
bass kicker

we use premium in our boat because it runs better then when we put regular in it
Old 03-09-06, 06:47 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Ok first off as zook stated on the older motors DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use high octane gas and really DO NOT use ethanol. First off they arnet set to run it and second high octane does only one thing carbons up your motor and run the risk of sticking rings etc.. I been working on motors for years so I speak from experience. Only high compression motors can benefit from high octane. Run a full tank of Sea Foam through it and if you can obtain it just before you change the plugs after running a tank of fuel with the sea foam additive get you a can of Deep Creep. Hook up the motor on the muffs and remove the front cover of the air box so you can spray the deep creep directly into the carbs. Raise your rpms up a little say 12-1500 and spray directly into the carb to the point of almost stalling the motor. Then do the next carb the same way. Keep going back and forth till you have used the entire can. When done refule with fresh 87octane and mix per manufacturers ration and CHANGE THE PLUGS before going out again. I personally gurantee you will see a differance. Being it is early in the season I strongly recommend a new water pump impellar and change out and flush the lower, refill with synthetic lower unit fluid. Nuch Much better results especially on older motors. The lubricating qualities of synthetic are superior to oil based fluids. This will keep your 140 running smooth for quite awhile. Every 2 or 3 months if u use this motor alot add sea foamin the amounts indicated on the can to keep your fuel system happy and your motor alive. One thing I have failed to post and I apologize it is a GREAT thing to put a filter on the MOTOR side of the primer bulb to keep your fuel system free of trash. Wally World sells one for 6.95 and takes 5 minutes to install. On new motors it is IMPERATIVE to do this since water in the ful or trash at the wrong time can equal a new powerhead. 6.95 is cheap insurance for a motor. DO NOT use any inline filter. Make sure you get the one designed for outboards. The filteing and flow charecteristics are very differant for outboards versus say your car. The fuel pump onoutboards cant take but very very little obstruction therefore that is why you have to use the filter designed for outboards. The micron size is perfect for outboards and keeps 95% of the water outta your fuel. Again DO NOT use ethanol,not only is it not good for your motor the fuel lines are not designed for ethanol. Another very big dont is using regular gas treatment. It contains alcohol which is detrimental to your motor and your fuel lines.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.