Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-21-08, 10:34 AM   #1
kybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hiring a guide?

Has anyone ever hired a guide on their home lake. They are pretty expensive where I fish but would be a bargin if I could learn a lot. I would like to get to a level where I could at least compete at local tourn. But I am not their yet. Was wondering what anyone's experience with a guide, part. a local guide was. Thanks, Tim
kybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 10:56 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

just follow one around once when they have a client
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 11:23 AM   #3
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've fished with a guide... If you pay attention you will learn tons.
Old 08-21-08, 12:16 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Yes I have hired many guides and learned something from each..

Some are expensive and some are not.. Some are legal and some are not and those illegal ones you have to watch out for.

Capt Mike
Old 08-21-08, 12:39 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
just follow one around once when they have a client
Following one around will show you where to fish. But the good guides have some tricks and hints to use that you will not be able to take advantage of unless you are on the boat with them. You won't know what baits they are using, their presentation, depth, etc.

We thought about getting a guide for Lake Purdy for a bunch of us at work. We figured that 2 would go early and use the guide service and then come back and tell the rest of the group what we learned. Then the issue of trust came into play. I don't think some of the coworkers would believe what we would tell them if we were going to have a money tournament. I think a guide service would be good but you do have to be aware of the ones just trying to scam you. I personally would love to go take one with CaptMike. He seems like a straight shooter and from the pictures, he puts you on the fish.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 01:01 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

I am blushing..

Capt Mike
Old 08-21-08, 02:12 PM   #7
crankybait

exactly what is an illegal guide?
Old 08-21-08, 02:41 PM   #8
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

The local guides here start at 100.00 for 1/2 day. However, do not tell them you just care about catching fish... Tell them you want to learn the lake and how to catch quality fish. One guide here, if you tell him all you want to do is catch fish, will never leave the boat ramp if there was a tx. that weekend, and you will catch lots of fish, but never learn a thing about the lake or how to fish it.
Old 08-21-08, 02:54 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
exactly what is an illegal guide?

As you may or may not know all navigable waters require a USGC Captains License 6-pak or Masters to take passengers for hire.

Next the state may have a guide license requirement (most do) even fresh water lakes require a state license.

The individual body of water may also require a guide license as in the Potomac River or land locked electric only lake.

Also required is commercial insurance to safe guard the passenger. Liability to about 1 mil. is a good measure. If you get hurt the insurance company will foot the bill. Otherwise you may need to squeeze blood from a poor fishing guide. In most cases you will get the award, the lawyer bill and never get the money.

A random drug testing program is part of the USCG requirements and CPR/First Aid as well. Also in lakes in some states too..

So it is easy to hang a sign up but not to be legal..

Capt Mike
Old 08-21-08, 07:42 PM   #10
crankybait

Didn't know that, thanks mike
Old 08-22-08, 02:13 AM   #11
cassidyta

Back a few years ago when I had money, for me that meant single without kids. Me and two buddies signed up with a guide who took us to a different local lake each weekend for the summer. I learned more in that summer than years of fishing them on my own.
A good guide is a teacher or coach. Of course it is like Fishbear said, you have to want to learn it. I was lucky I got a crabby retired USMC SgtMaj. He was the type of SOB I needed to learn from. My advice is to not just google for a guide. Ask around and find out who has used the person in the past. I think it is important to find someone who fits your needs. And yes, as the good Capt said, make sure they are legal. There have been many stories in my local papers about these "so called guides" who ended up wrecking the boats because they didn't even know the area.
Last thing, if you enjoyed the experience and got something out of it, then tip your guide. I know they have an established fee already, but they will pay taxes on that revenue. Just like any other service industry, if you take care of them, they will take care of you.

Capt Mike, I am not trying to imply that you guys won't if not tipped, but....well you know.

Last edited by cassidyta; 08-22-08 at 02:16 AM. Reason: addition
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 04:12 AM   #12
George_Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybass View Post
Has anyone ever hired a guide on their home lake. They are pretty expensive where I fish but would be a bargin if I could learn a lot. I would like to get to a level where I could at least compete at local tourn. But I am not their yet. Was wondering what anyone's experience with a guide, part. a local guide was. Thanks, Tim
You can and will learn from a guide, however in one day how much is up for grabs. You definitely would want recommendations, and you definitely would want to be very specific in relaying what you want and expect.

For what you want, my suggestion would be to join a local club and spend as much time on the water as you can. This bass fishing thingy is not nearly as difficult as many would portray to be. What's difficult is getting a good handle on the waters you fish, and that is a function of time on water, or getting someone such a guide to show you.
Old 08-24-08, 10:28 AM   #13
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
My advice is to not just google for a guide. Ask around and find out who has used the person in the past. I think it is important to find someone who fits your needs. And yes, as the good Capt said, make sure they are legal. There have been many stories in my local papers about these "so called guides" who ended up wrecking the boats because they didn't even know the area.
This is good advice. I have hired quite a few guides in my life, especially when fly fishing new areas. I have also known quite a few guides personally and I can tell you for certain there are some out there who have absolutely no business calling themselves guides. Also, some of the best at putting the customer on fish are not the best teachers/communicators and what you are looking for is someone who can teach you the ropes so your search needs to be in the direction of finding a guide who not only can find and catch fish but who is willing and able to teach his methods to you. Tell your prospective guide up front what you are trying to accomplish and see how he feels about it. Good luck. I like your idea. I would say, for you, and considering the cost of gasoline, a guide would be an excellent investment. It will cut the learning curve way down.

Another thing you need to consider is hiring a guide in different seasons. As I'm sure you know, where the fish are located and what they're biting is very seasonal.

Last edited by Jigger; 08-24-08 at 10:35 AM. Reason: left something out
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.