Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-11, 10:46 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My first-ever bass on a jig!

I finally took some time this past weekend to pull out one of the Thunderstruck Jigs that Kory made for me earlier this year and see what I could do with it. I know pretty much zero about jigs and how to fish them, so I sort of just randomly grabbed one of the several I had ordered and threw a Green Pumpkin Super Chunk Jr. trailer on it. The jig I chose happened to be a 3/4 oz. Peanut Butter and Jelly colored football head jig. I don't have any idea if I was using it how, when or where I was "supposed" to be using it, but it worked GREAT!

The first time out I had made about a dozen casts with it when this 3lb 1oz, 17" Smallie fell prey to it.

The next night I was fishing with a couple relatives who fish once a year, on their trip here to MN, so I was mainly helping them with casting, retrieving, etc. After they were at least somewhat comfortable with that, I picked up my rod with the jig on it and cast it to a spot where I'd normally fish a senko -- where a nice weed bed meets a stand of reeds. I immediately had a nice Largemouth take me up on my very first offer! This one checked in at 2lb 10oz and 17". He is pictured here on the right, along with a 2lb 2oz LM that I got a bit later after a fun little battle with my Black Widow Spro Poppin' Frog.

The following afternoon I was fishing with my wife and sister-in-law along a nice reed-filled shoreline. It was a bit windy, so I just tried to keep the boat where both of them could cast to some decent spots from their middle and back of the boat positions. That meant I was quite a ways from the reeds most of the time. I made a particularly long cast into a spot just before the reeds ended and enjoyed the long-distance battle provided by this super-chunky 15-incher that set my scale to a reading of 2lb 11oz! As you can tell from both pictures, he REALLY wanted a jig meal.

I also caught another smaller LM and a pike during my time using this jig during the weekend. It was a tremendous amount of fun using a lure that was new to me and to catch some really nice bass while doing so! Now I guess I need to start learning which color and type of jig to use and how/when/where/etc. to use them and see if I can hook up with some more photo-worthy bass.

THANKS, KORY!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.