Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-11-07, 01:14 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default the line debate..

oh boy need one of these..

to open one of these

ok in REALLY clear water i have been asked why i use a hiviz line..

in truth i watch the line in the water more than the rod tip..as the fish were REALLY hitting it lightly i saw the line move more than felt anything..

zooker
Old 11-11-07, 02:12 PM   #2
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Zook, I like your unique definition. Well done. Carpy
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 11:19 PM   #3
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey thats my fat free shad I lost it last year LOL
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 12:35 AM   #4
ESipes_89

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

Although I'm not sold on the idea that line visibility DOESN'T play a part, I'm willing to listen because that sounds like an interesting idea. Ever since it got cold I've been expiriencing the same thing. The fish almost seem hesitant to pick up the lure.

What kind of line are you using in that pic? Braid, copoly, mono?

-Eric
Old 11-15-07, 06:35 PM   #5
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESipes_89 View Post
What kind of line are you using in that pic? Braid, copoly, mono?
i aint lizardsrule hoss the ONLY line i will use on my crankbaits is mono.. that line happens to be 12 pound envy green ande.. i was fishing fairly gnarly stuff -rocks and trees- the 12 pound line is about the same size as 8 pound stren or trilene.. the closest mono i have found size wise is cajun red.. say what you will but remember i have been using ande for 30 years. and have held a line class record in ny using it.. i have found NOTHING that will beat it in a mono-and i have tried a bunch of them..

zooker
Old 11-15-07, 07:44 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i aint lizardsrule hoss

zooker
Yes you are much to ugly to be lizardsrule rotflmao

And to answer your question PNJ, the Thin N has been my best producer for bass(and yes they are terrible on staying tuned, but they work). However the Mirrorlure has been by far my best producer in saltwater.

Lizards
Old 11-15-07, 08:25 PM   #7
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
. i was fishing fairly gnarly stuff -rocks and trees- the 12 pound line is about the same size as 8 pound stren or trilene..say what you will but remember i have been using ande for 30 years. and have held a line class record in ny using it.. i have found NOTHING that will beat it in a mono-and i have tried a bunch of them..

zooker

AMEN! This year was my first time to try Ande mono, and I spooled up 15 pound test on my Penn 4500ss, hooked into two 15# Jack crevelle that ran under the pier, and fought the whole 30 minutes each with the line rubbing up against the pier. Never in my wildest dreams would I thought that stuff wouldnt break... Its amazing.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 05:41 PM   #8
zooker

lizzy said
"Yes you are much to ugly to be lizardsrule.."

and what like your are any prettier??

tb
they hold the most world records in the igfa for a reason.put some on your casting stick and you'll see what i mean..i have converted way to many friends to ande mono line..

zooker
Old 11-16-07, 06:03 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My dad used to fish Ande, We'll have to try it next year. Right now all we use is Stren Original Mono. Of what I've tried, Stren is my personal Favorite, but I wouldn't mind trying sometihng new.

BB
Old 11-18-07, 04:05 PM   #10
Christopherkeene9

Nothing but ande for us in terms of mono. Got it from 8# to 80# on combos for 'gill/bass to swords/marlin/tuna.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 08:34 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Thumbs up

Quote:
lizzy said

tb
they hold the most world records in the igfa for a reason.put some on your casting stick and you'll see what i mean..i have converted way to many friends to ande mono line..

zooker
If the truth be known ole ZOOK is actually VERY fond of P-LINE............just ask him.
Old 11-22-07, 10:15 AM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
lizzy said

zooker
ABSOLUTELY, POSSITIVELY

Lizards
Old 11-22-07, 05:56 PM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
If the truth be known ole ZOOK is actually VERY fond of P-LINE............just ask him.

not a chance in hell

zooker
Old 11-23-07, 10:09 PM   #14
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

Mono is all I use. From 4lb. to 20lb. test, UL spinning to heavy baitcasting. I like BPS Excel. It is as good or better than most premium lines, and a 1500 yard spool costs about the same as a brand name reel-full.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 10:33 PM   #15
WIUbassin

I hope i'm not getting into trouble here by asking... Whats so bad about P-Line?
Old 11-24-07, 07:03 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUbassin View Post
I hope i'm not getting into trouble here by asking... Whats so bad about P-Line?
I honestly dont know why zook dislikes P-Line so much but that is his choice. I personnaly would rather not go fishing unless I have my reels filled with P-Line. I do agree that after a week or 2 on the spool and it has some memory and maybe a little harder to remove the memory than other lines. But cast for cast and after 35yrs+ of fishing and trying probably every known line out there I have always come back to P-Line. I have a couple of reels filled with Yo-Zuri Hybrid right now and am putting that line to the test. So far I like it as far as casting cranks with the 12lb test. I havent tried the heavier line as of yet.
Old 11-24-07, 08:35 AM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUbassin View Post
i was using 17 pound halo during a tourny i lost 5 stiens cause the line broke during the cast.-sometimes inside the reel- same tourny i was using 12 pound cxx on a crank bait it broke 10 times -crankbaits float- that was the LAST time p-line gets put on ANYTHING i own.. i had this line on the reel less than a month fished with it about 3 times..

zooker
Old 11-24-07, 09:37 AM   #18
keithdog

I had exactly the same problems with P-Line that Zooker explained. After about 6 weeks I trashed it and changed lines. Some folks really like it and thats fine. Myself, I hate the stuff. To each his own. I'm going to give co polymer lines a go this year. I used to use Bagely Silverthread and loved the stuff. I've been experimenting lately with other lines. I've used Trilene XL without any trouble. I tried Stren original this fall and was suprised by how much I liked it. I hated Stren 25 years ago and hadn't used it since. But the Stren line I used this year was a very different animal. I think I'll try Ande this year too. The folks who use it seem to love it. I never have tried it myself but am curious. I'm sticking with Powe Pro braid for the heavy nasty cover situations.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 08:24 PM   #19
Bender

Zooker, maybe a bad spool? I've had Halo on my shaky early then drop shot rig later year fishing average 3 times per week with that as my go-to rig most of the time without any trouble. That is 6lb. Halo on a Calcutta casting reel.
Also I had 10lb on another reel all year without any trouble. P-Line regular Floro and the BPS stuff is also good IMO.

All that said, in the future I am going to PowerPro as a main line on most all reels. On the slower presentation/finesse ones I will use a floro leader. This will also allow me to see any action on the line more easily especially with the new color offerings.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 08:36 PM   #20
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Since this has to do with line, I'll post here. These are my ideas for line in the '08 season. Tell me what you Guys think:

1) St.Croix/Shimano Citica 201D Crankbait Rod: Stren Original 10LB test Clear-Blue; $6.99

2) Falcon LowRider/Cabela's XZ Tourmnament(Made by Daiwa)Spinnerbait Rod: Stren Original 10LB test Clear-Blue; $6.99

3) St.Croix/Pflueger Supreme Jig/C-Rig Rod: Berkley Vanish 14LB test Gold; $15.99

4) St.Croix/Daiwa Tierra Drop Shot/Weightless T-Rig Rod: Berkley Vanish 6LB test Gold; $13.99

For a total of: $36.97

Good?
Any reccommendations?

-LL-
Old 11-24-07, 09:14 PM   #21
Bender

1 & 2 sound good to me.
#3 Some heavy braid so there is no stretch, C-Rig with floro off the swivel
#4 Drop Shot-Small (12?)PowerPro yellow with floro leader; wacky/weightless I use braid, maybe with a floro leader next year.
First thing in the year I had the best luck with hard jerkbatis up here using 14-20 lb. braid, if that is any help.
Old 11-24-07, 09:39 PM   #22
lunker-lander

Well, I try to stay away from braid - don't know why - I just don't use it. Is the Vanish any good though?

-LL-
Old 11-24-07, 10:18 PM   #23
Bender

Once you try it you won't won't want to go back for most things. That is why I have a lot of Medium rods, since braid doesn't give then the rod needs to. You can feel so much more.
I have never tried Vanish, but as far as fluoros go I want to try the Seguar next even though I am not unhappy with Halo and BassPro XPS.
There was a test of Florocarbon lines a while ago on here, anybody have the link?
Old 11-24-07, 10:42 PM   #24
Fish2win

I have had both good and bad experiences with P line. I bought some at my local bait shop and it was fine. Then I bought some at Walmart and it was rotten. Try Suffex Elite low vis green, I am a line watcher also. I have to wear glasses to tie but I can still see the green line between my rod and the water. I fish gin clear water most of the time at Norris. Florescent wont work in the day light for finesse baits. I dont think it really matters for a crank or spinnerbait. Fish2win
Old 11-24-07, 10:56 PM   #25
lunker-lander

Have you had any luck with Berkley Vanish Transition F2W? It's in my price range, and it doesn't sound too bad. I asked mom/dad for GAMMA Edge, but $22.95 x 2 spools is too much. Darn...

-LL-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.