Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-30-07, 07:10 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default let me hear your thoughts

the last few weeks i have caught fish in a strange manner. this has got me to thinking.-oh boy that could be hazardus-
the manner of catching the fish is a bit unquie-the first one happened by accident-i was goofing off as i past thru under a bridge i pitched a spinnerbait to the butment let it flutter in a dead drop. it fell 2 feet and stopped sitting in 30 feet of water i set the hook. when i got the bass to the boat i notice i had it hooked funny. the hook was thru the fishes nose not in his mouth.. the blades were in it's mouth..

i tried this on several more butments it worked to some degree as i had the bait stop 10-12 times but only hooked up 4 fish doing it..i actually switched to a hildenbrant spinner bait-designed to be used as a drop bait..

the switch never clicked till i got into a discussion with some salty guys about butter fly jigging..the light went on big time. i paid a visit to bps they have quite a selection of free style jigs.. i have been having a better hook up percentage using the xps free style jigs..

it is definatly worth buyin the extra rod and reel-like i need better excuse-i started using the freestyle jig with a spinning rod-same as i do off shore- but a 7 foot mh spinning rod is a bit stiff and SLOW for this style of fishing.

the keys to this style of fishing is using the RIGHT tackle.. i have been running 20 pound braid on the reel using a ball bearing swivel and connection it to 12" of 40 pound ande floro. then a straight hook up to the jig..that being said -i don't use a swivel offshore- but the rest is almost the same set up as i have taken snowy grouper in 800+ ft of water..
now as i discussed the "jigging spoon" with reb he brought up the single worst aspect of the old school jigging spoon. it will hang up in a heart beat.as the hook is always on the bottom. these new free style spoons have "flying hooks" that hang down 1/2 the lenth of the spoon. hence nothing hanging BELOW the bait to hang up..

though it is working right now. do you all think it would work later in the year when the water gets colder??

yeah yeah i know i will catch hell from brother love about long post..

zooker
Old 12-30-07, 09:43 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01

spooning is certainly not my strong suit. but i am working on it pretty good this winter because on table rock it is probably the hottest thing going right now but it is a pattern that will produce all summer long too. i would bet that your method will probably get more productive for the next month or so before the fish start to move up. good thinking on the freestyle spoon, that is something i probably would have overlooked.
Old 01-01-08, 07:43 AM   #3
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

Sounds like a good idea to me. I started using spoons and slabs in the winter last year but, I noticed the snag ratio dramatically increased. I think your on to something and I'll have to give it a try.

-Eric
Old 01-02-08, 07:14 PM   #4
lizardsrule

PIC please.

Lizards
Old 01-02-08, 07:18 PM   #5
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
PIC please.

Lizards
Ditto, what Lizards said. I am not sure I understand what you are talking about..
Old 01-02-08, 07:26 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

zooker i'm not trying to butt in, and guys i'm not sure i am answering your questions but i will try. here is your traditional spoon with the hooks on the bottom, they can be a single hook but most of the time they will be a treble hook. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...008000_100-8-3 . now here is the freestyle spoon, notice how the hooks are tied to a splitring. they won't fall as fast as the heavy spoon so they won't be the first thing to the bottom. in theory you shouldn't get hung up as often. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...008000_100-8-3
Old 01-02-08, 07:36 PM   #7
JB

in the coldest winter up here, they put a minnow on the treble hook zooker, an that produces. If the action is hot n heavy, I've seen guys just go with a grub. I'd put a minnie on it , if 'n it was me
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 07:42 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Thanks, C-rig 01. If that is what Zooker is talking about, I now understand. It sounds like it might work to me!
Old 01-02-08, 08:04 PM   #9
pig n jig

I don't buy into it, but as usual, I am not always correct.I guess I don't understand how you can snag them up, but I only jig on schools of bait, or primary points, the jig doesn't hit bottom, or any kind of structure.I use my fishfinder to put the spoon just above the fish arches and snap the jig up and let it fall on semi slack line.Rarely will the jig get hit on the lift, it usually stops short on the way down, that's why it's important to count it down repeatedly. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 08:07 PM   #10
pig n jig

Alot of people use a white tube jig slipped over the metal jig.I like the leaf like flutter fall of the ordinary plain jig, the tube kills the action a bit in my opinion. P N J
Old 01-02-08, 08:21 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

pnj, i know what you mean about jigging in bait balls. but trust me they will get hung up on the bottom. i have heard striper guys say that when a spoon gets hung up on a stump or log, they will just keep popping there rod tip banging the spoon on the log or stump. they claim that this will make a sound that a lot of times will make a fish grab it. wouldn't that be great, i mean i am about to loose a bait, and next thing you know i get my bait back plus catch a fish. talk about a turn of events.
Old 01-02-08, 08:47 PM   #12
pig n jig

Sorry O1, I forgot you guys got stumps and stuff, man made lakes. That would explain my ignorance.Here the lakes are clean and deep. most times I will be jigging at the thermocline, generally its been at 41 feet here this year.I will be in 120-160 foot of water. P N J
Old 01-03-08, 07:24 PM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
but trust me they will get hung up on the bottom. i have heard striper guys say that when a spoon gets hung up on a stump or log, they will just keep popping there rod tip banging the spoon on the log or stump. they claim that this will make a sound that a lot of times will make a fish grab it. wouldn't that be great, i mean i am about to loose a bait, and next thing you know i get my bait back plus catch a fish. talk about a turn of events.
first off the sometimes they twin rig these jigs .hence the reason for the second eye. pretty sure there is no stumps out there. but there is a ton of rocks and rusty steel. we fish under water cliffs and old wrecks

but me this is how i rig mine..

now where i use the jig is a bit deeper. oh say several hundred FEET deeper. i have been learning the way of the japanese jig digglers...i must say it works.

aint none of these found in fresh water too often..

the rigged picture gives you a more actuate idea of how the hooks look while the bait is at rest.-thats an 8 oz jig btw- during the fall the hooks are about even with the steel ring.. the best set up i have ever seen for deep water fishing. the fish -reguardless which kind-just do not come unhooked. my friend even caught an octopus one one of these jigs..

zooker
Old 01-04-08, 12:15 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Leave it to Zooker to rig it bass-ackwards. Good idea, amigo!
Old 01-04-08, 02:31 PM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Take that backwards presentation that your using & add a feathered hook on the other end. This may icrease your hits. That's what i'm thinking of trying.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 03:41 PM   #16
brushhog

That is the kind of stuff you only find here, really interesting food for thought. Thanks for the post Zook...
Old 01-04-08, 05:05 PM   #17
zooker

actually if you look closely at the jig the hooks are on the end with the eyes..

zooker
Old 01-20-08, 11:12 PM   #18
zooker

ok after some thinking and trying this boy does it work. seeing the fall can be fairly fast. here is how i slowed it down.

i start with the 1/2 oz free style jig like this.

now i remove the jig it self and put a single gold #5 willow blade -hawg caller- this not only slows the fall but also carries alot of flash into the depths..

i have caught numerus fish lately using both set ups..

now for the set up i use a 6.6 foot mh fenwick techna av extra long handled spinning rod. a daiwa steez spinning reel. loaded with 20 pound calcutta ultra braid. on the end of the braid i tie a small ball bearing swivel. then add 12" of 12 pound ande floro and tie DIRECTLY to the steel ring..

i work the bait a few differant ways #1 a dead fall along vertical struture. or i work creek chanel drops.. the way i jig it either tight line falls of about 2 feet up and downs. or a free line fall of 18"-24" with a rod tip "pop" in the the middle of the fall.. i have used these jigs a bunch lately and have only lost 2. i normally would lose 1 an hour of regular jiggin spoons..
the hooks on the free style jig are wicked lil beggers. no fish -bass,crappie- has remotly even come off.. no suprise since they were originally designed for deep salt water jigging. they grab and hold on..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.