Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-08, 05:06 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default MotorGuide Bow Mount Wireless TM's

Hey Guys, got another quick question. Any of you fellas ever use the MotorGuide Wireless Trolling Motors? We're looking at the 45LB thrust, 45" shaft, 12 Volt model for our boat, a 14' aluminum Sea Nymph. 45LB's should push it along pretty well, eh?

Here's the tab if 'ya wanna look:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...013&id=0036408

-Lunk-
Old 01-04-08, 07:11 PM   #2
1FASTLASER

Push it like a bat outta he##.
Old 01-05-08, 06:00 PM   #3
lunker-lander

Going to Cabela's tomorrow... maybe. We might go duck huntin' since it's the last day of the season. If we do go, we'll probably get the trolling motor and the battery. Should I go with a gel cell battery?

-Lunk-
Old 01-05-08, 08:40 PM   #4
1FASTLASER

If ya can afford the gell cell definately go for it. They last longer and take a charge faster.
Old 01-05-08, 08:48 PM   #5
lunker-lander

How long of a shatf would you reccommend 1FAST? They come in 48" or 52".

-Lunk-
Old 01-05-08, 08:59 PM   #6
1FASTLASER

Preferably the 52. Sometimes you need the extra ifn the wind comes up. I run nothing but 56 on my boats but they are a little larger. When in rough water the 48 will surfice on ya sometimes.
Old 01-05-08, 10:10 PM   #7
Bender

Also depends on how far off the water your bow is. Even though you can raise up the longer shaft one it will get in the way of fishing if it sticks up really high all the time. It really depends on if you fish shallow water. I'm guessing on a Sea Nymph the bow is quite a ways off the water so the longer shaft may be better.
I think mine is a 45", but I wouldn't mind a little longer for LSC or any of the rougher lakes around here.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 01:00 PM   #8
lunker-lander

For an example, if I were to lay on the nose of the boat, chest on the boat, and reach down to the water, I couldn't touch water, so I'm thinking 52" will be our best bet. With your boat especially Chris, you said even you'd like a little longer shaft, and your boat seemed pretty low-riding to me, so I think 52" will be our best choice.

We're going to Cabela's today, so I'll let you know what we come out with!

-Lunk
Old 01-06-08, 09:58 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

LL,just a word to the wise:

The more complicated the more that can go wrong. On a boat that size I'd go with just a regular TM. I'm sure it would save you some $$ and less that can go wrong with it.

That said, I may be totally off base. If you do get it let us know how it works-I'll be interested in hearing your report.
Old 01-06-08, 11:13 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Well, we didn't get it at our local(Dundee,MI)Cabela's, but we did get it at the Cabela's website. It was advertised for free shipping in the 2008 Spring Master Fishing Catalog, so we snagged it. We ordered the 54" shaft, 45LB, 12 Volt model. It also came with the free, $59.99 store advertised, Hand Fob for control from anywhere in the boat. I'll take some pics. and let 'ya know how it fits when we build/mount the mount and motor.

-Lunk-
Old 01-12-08, 06:00 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Alrighty Guys, we got the motor, and are getting ready to mount it sometime this week. But, how does the motor ride when you are not fishing; when it is up, and in the locked position? Can somebody please take a picture of when their TM is up?

After getting it, and opening it, we noticed the Hand Fob you have to call MotorGuide to get, it doesn't come in the box.

Also, we noticed it is not the kind of motor where you just flip and go. Everytime you raise/lower the TM, you have to adjust a knob on the shaft to get it to sit where you want it. This is why I would like to see how the TM rides when not in use; we don't want it flopping all over the boat and bouncing around while we're going down the lake. After all, it is a 54" shaft, so a lot of shaft is riding in the boat when it's not being used...

-Lunk-
Old 01-19-08, 07:04 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Well, we got the base plate mounted today; looks nice. We still need to fasten down a piece of strut and angle iron for it to be completely done.We've been mock-mounting the motoer and it looks like it will ride nicely. I hope all goes well and we'll be fishin' out of 'er by April!

-Lunk-
Old 02-22-08, 10:09 PM   #13
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I hope you get along better with yours than I did with mine. I sent it back twice and they finally converted it to a push/pull cable type. I'll never own another one but that was when they were fairly new. They may have worked the bugs out by now though.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.