Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-27-08, 05:21 PM   #26
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Earl I have used Quatums ever since I started really getting into fishing and they have taken care of any issues I have had (including replaceing a reel that I dropped half it in the lake at no cost to me). They are great reels. I would say that when i started i bought cheaper reels until I got sick of them and boought my first accurist(sp???) I never looked back from there. I love quantum and for the price, Two of the ones that I love are below $100 in price. I also have to agree that i have a couple of extremes and they are great rods as well. My dad had a really good one (its now at the bottom of Philpot lake(I didnt do it either)). So you cant go wrong there in my opinion. Hope you find one you like
Old 11-27-08, 06:07 PM   #27
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is an interesting thread.....Like Earl, I too have a fixed income so I'm always lookin to get the most bang for my buck. I'm going to be near the Bass Pro shop in Broken Arrow this weekend and was planning on purchasing a new reel....I just can't decide which one to go with......I need to stay below $75 since i've got other stuff to buy and only got so much green to spend.

I originally was thinking Extreme but I hear alot of negatives about buying BPS namebrands rather than major brands of reels......but then again I saw the Quantum KVD series reel on sale in their Christmas circular and figured "Hey, its Quantum".....but then I got to reading alot of the reviews posted and i'm now changing my mind....seems to be a crap shoot to get a good reel and not have problems right outta the box so I dunno now.

I've also been thinkin about purchasing a left hand reel to keep me from switching hands all the time.....I was thinkin about that the other day and realized that for years i've reeled a baitcast with my right hand and a spincast with my left hand....now i'm thinkin one way or the other, not both....what do ya'll think?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 06:26 PM   #28
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

king fisher
where did ya hear the negitive about bps extremes?? i have NEVER heard anyone bad mouthing extremes any where..they are cheap work flawless and take a beating.... i have 3 of them 2 left handers and actually prefure to use them over the quantum tour edition reels i have..

belive me when i say quantum is going to have to impress me alot before i buy another high end quantum reel i own roughly 35 quatums so this is saying something..

zooker
Old 11-27-08, 08:45 PM   #29
66KingFisher

Zooker, the info I got was from reading past threads on another fishing forum several weeks back, but let me make it real clear that nobody was badmouthing the Extreme reels or BPS in my opinion.....they all seemed to agree that the biggest issue was later down the road when you needed parts for the BPS reels that you'd be screwed, where as if you were using a major name brand reel you probably wouldn't run into that problem. Personally I don't know how long BPS keeps parts in stock for older model reels....you'd think that since they have their own reel repair center that getting parts wouldn't be an issue...specially if its sporting their name. But I also realize were not talkin about the ultra high end reels here......chances are by the time ya wear out any parts it might be just as cheap to purchase another inexpensive reel as opposed to rebuilding the older one.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on the Extreme series....i'm concidering them heavily....thanks.
Old 11-27-08, 10:29 PM   #30
pig n jig

The old extremes had to be maintained.The plastic peice that held the pinion gear was problematic, horrible is more like it.It seemed softer than normal plastic that wore excessively if it wasn't properly greased.BPS drag washers seem to compress easier than others as well.My Johnny Morris reels now have Quantum drag washers installed in them after the original drag washers failed to work properly, due to being compressed.I am sort of anal about backing the drags off after fishing with the reel so I know it wasn't due to human error.

If your financially challenged like I always seem to be ,think about buying a good used reel , rather than a cheaper new reel.Usually you can find some good deals out there if your not in a hurry. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 10:58 PM   #31
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I am sort of anal about backing the drags off after fishing with the reel.
You know....thats something i've never given any thought too, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea....hmmmmm.

My problem is i've got a thing about buying used stuff.....too many times that bit me and i'd wished i'd just went ahead and purchased something new instead. But....if the price is cheap enough i'll consider takin the risk. I really don't buy much stuff online thru places like Ebay...although I have dealt with a forum member or two from a place like this before, or, i'm always keepin an eye open at pawn shops, garage sales, flea markets and the like for anything fishin related....what a terrible disease we have huh?...lol.

I've only got one baitcaster right now and I need a second so I'm leaving BPS with a new reel in my hand this weekend....I just don't know which one yet.....several to choose from under $75.....wish I could spend more but it is what it is and for now it'll havta do....lol.
Old 11-27-08, 11:13 PM   #32
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think i read on here a few months ago that bps extreme reels are made
by Pfluger, and everyone I know that has them likes them.
I have the high end Quantums from the mid 90s and just recently bought a new quantum baitcaster in the 69 dollar range, its smooth too. No problems with them other than a couple of them squeal when ya cast
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 11:51 PM   #33
66KingFisher

Thats good info JB....thanks....I wondered who really made them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.