Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-25-05, 05:41 PM   #1
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Morning fishing

I need some help fishing in the early mornings, 5am - 10am. The lake I fish has a lot of grass beds, stump beds and steep rock banks. The water has been stained every time I've gone out, 12-16" of visibility. What's some good lures to try before the sun hits the water, and what should I switch to once the sun hits the water? I recently bought some topwater, a popper, zara spook and a torpedo. When and What are the prime conditions for fishing topwater? Does it need to be shallow, less than 5 ft, to fish topwater?
Old 07-25-05, 06:26 PM   #2
Unregistered

Ive caught many bass in over 10 ft of water with a jitterbug and a hulapopper....early in teh morning or late at nite top water seems to be most effective.

A cool day will result in better topwater fishing as well since the fish are more likely to come to the surface...while on a hot day they woudl rather stay deep and cool.

Just my two cents
Old 07-25-05, 06:50 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sorry to tell you but you foegot to purchase the most lethal low-light condition lure ever invented: The Jitterbug, not that the ones you bought aren´t good but they lack of something that the jitterbug has, continuos sound and surface disturbance because it can be reeled in continously at slow speed making it easy to locate by the fish. Purchase one. Poppers and prop baits are good baits for targenting promising spots, the disadvantage, specially with poppers is that they don´t cover much water, some anglers fish propbaits like buzzbaits, personally I have never had sucess by doing so. Walk the dog baits loke the spook are great for covering a lot of water fast, also fish come from the distance regardless of water depth just to hit them,the disadvantages of them are: it takes skill and a lot of practice to make them work, the bait has no built in action, all the action is given by the angler and they are not the easiest bait to learn, some similar baits like the Sammy are more "angler friendly", they are easier to work, the Spook is much harder and doesn´t respond as well as the other ones; also, they are not the ideal bait for before the dawn they work better during the day.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 01:43 AM   #4
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

throwing a good buzzbait over those grass beds would probably land you a lot of fish. I'd even try spinners around the stumps and through the grass.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 08:49 AM   #5
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Yeah I Agree Try A Buzzbait All Morning. And Then Throw A Carolina Rig Or A Texas Rigged Worm. Maybe A Jig.
Old 07-26-05, 08:56 AM   #6
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
Sorry to tell you but you foegot to purchase the most lethal low-light condition lure ever invented: The Jitterbug, not that the ones you bought aren´t good but they lack of something that the jitterbug has, continuos sound and surface disturbance because it can be reeled in continously at slow speed making it easy to locate by the fish. Purchase one. Poppers and prop baits are good baits for targenting promising spots, the disadvantage, specially with poppers is that they don´t cover much water, some anglers fish propbaits like buzzbaits, personally I have never had sucess by doing so. Walk the dog baits loke the spook are great for covering a lot of water fast, also fish come from the distance regardless of water depth just to hit them,the disadvantages of them are: it takes skill and a lot of practice to make them work, the bait has no built in action, all the action is given by the angler and they are not the easiest bait to learn, some similar baits like the Sammy are more "angler friendly", they are easier to work, the Spook is much harder and doesn´t respond as well as the other ones; also, they are not the ideal bait for before the dawn they work better during the day.
I disagree, Spooks are amazing in the early morn for me. I los a couple 2-4.5 lb fish, about 9 fish in this range went after them on me!. Hook ups can be a problem though.
Old 07-26-05, 01:55 PM   #7
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys!! I do have 2 jitterbugs, a jointed black one and a green one. I've had these for a while and fish them no matter what the conditions or time of day. Maybe I should say the lake has a lot of grassy banks. Throwing a buzzbait or spinnerbait over the grass would catch a lot of grass or get stuck in the grass?
Old 07-26-05, 02:07 PM   #8
KenDammit

so the grass is above water, or is there a pocket of water between the surface and the top of the grass beds? If it isn't too thick, buzzbaits are pretty weedless, spinnerbaits not so much, but you can still get them in if you have accurate casting ability and work the bait right.

If the grass is reaching the surface, you think you'd be able to throw some kinda stickbait like a minnow or what have you? I'd also try one of those over top of the grass beds or along the edges.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 04:27 PM   #9
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

no pocket of water, the grass is above water. I tend to throw t-rigs along the edges of the grass. I've caught a couple, but not as many as I think I should be catching. 1-2 fish per 4 hour trips and last time was a goose egg. Just looking for something new to try around these grassy areas next time I'm out. Thanks again
Old 08-02-05, 01:05 PM   #10
KH.

well i only fish crankbaits in the summer morning but the lake i fish on is only 5 acers
Old 08-02-05, 01:40 PM   #11
PowerBass

Try Buzzbaiting it! You wont be sorry!
Old 08-02-05, 02:12 PM   #12
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

I fished Lay Lake, AL this past Sunday from 5-10, I tried a chartruese buzzbait and a black buzzbait off and on for 2 hours, not a single bump? I tried a torpedo, jitterbug and a zara spook, nothing? I fished shallow, 2-8 ft, most of the morning until the heat kicked in. Water visibility was 4", temp was 86. I also bought some chartruese tiki sticks and some sweet potato pie tiki sticks. I've heard so much tiki sticks in this forum, I had to give them a try. I caught 2 on the sweet potato pie and 2 on the chartruese! Biggest was only 2 pounds, but catching 4 is a lot better than catching 1 or none. Last fish I caught was at 8am, after that I was trying some deeper, 15-25 ft, water with a spinner bait, visibilty was a lot better but still no action.

Thanks for the tips!!
Old 08-02-05, 02:55 PM   #13
PowerBass

Hey,
sorry to hear about the no topwater action. I love tiki stiks, they always work good. I like to wacky rig em!!!
Old 08-02-05, 03:14 PM   #14
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd try the same pattern I have been fishing all summer, I go out about 5-6 a.m.

and throw the buzzbait or spook, I dont seem to have any luck on the jitterbug up here.
Go right along the edge of that grass line with any of these baits, or even go through the grass, try to bump into structure with the buzzbait.
This pattern has workd for me all summer, until about 8:30 in the morning..hope that helps..
Other than that, most of my plastics have been working deep, like 5-9 feet of water..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 04:16 PM   #15
PowerBass

Wow, 5-9 ft, it has been 1-5 ft here. JB, they are finally hittin the tiki again! They want Watermelon Chartreuse wswirl wacky rigged!
Old 08-02-05, 04:33 PM   #16
KH.

thanks for the message you sent me earliear motoroil
Old 08-02-05, 05:31 PM   #17
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I'm with these guys. Jitterbug and buzz.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 05:39 PM   #18
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Powerbass,

Thats what I found out! Got my biggest one Sunday on the tikki, man she sucked it downtown, was stuck in her gullet.
Then last night when the dinks were hitting I got a 12 incher on a tikki
Hellya!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 06:16 PM   #19
Buzzking
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Frog

Try a frog,scum frogs are awsome for the really thick mats of grass, and the horny toads and ribbits are awsome for the thinner grass and weed lines,
dude if you've never tried a frog give it a try, that and the buzz are my 2 favorite early morning baits,I'v never tried a jitter bug but will soon,but the frog is about the funest way that I'v ever found to catch them!!!

PHIL G.
Buzzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 06:25 PM   #20
KH.

i need a reply notor oil
Old 08-02-05, 08:27 PM   #21
PowerBass

JB, Thats about the size of one I got yesterday also, caught him on a 4inch baby bass pearl swirl.
Old 08-02-05, 08:29 PM   #22
KH.

tiki sticks sound like a big thing i heard about them just yesterday
Old 08-02-05, 08:44 PM   #23
PowerBass

They are way better than the Yammamoto Series IMHO.

check out the site for yourself KH

www.wavefishing.com
Old 08-02-05, 09:23 PM   #24
KH.

i bet they are im not going to pay 75cents for something that rips all the time
im definetly getting tikis
Old 06-30-07, 08:52 PM   #25
JoeBass
BassFishin.Com Member

ive had some luck throwin sizmic toads and swimming them just under the water.
JoeBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.