Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-09, 05:44 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default The difference between light and dark water.

I have posted on here and mentioned light and dark water as a reference to a technique. For the younger posters I want to tell the difference, dark for some of us might mean not being able to see very far, hence I can't see my bait very far under the water so it must be dark. Distance of a lures visibility has nothing to do with light or dark as far as water color. Muddy paper bag brown, green from alge = light, very clear or stained brown = dark, the latter regaurdless of visibility. Very clear being the odd ball here but most prey fish will be darker in very clear water lakes compared to the same fish in green or light brown colored waters.
Old 04-15-09, 05:55 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I cant make heads or tails out of what you just said
Old 04-15-09, 06:12 AM   #3
CCbass

It relays to choice of bait to color of water.
Old 04-15-09, 06:26 AM   #4
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
I have posted on here and mentioned light and dark water as a reference to a technique. For the younger posters I want to tell the difference, dark for some of us might mean not being able to see very far, hence I can't see my bait very far under the water so it must be dark. Distance of a lures visibility has nothing to do with light or dark as far as water color. Muddy paper bag brown, green from alge = light, very clear or stained brown = dark, the latter regaurdless of visibility. Very clear being the odd ball here but most prey fish will be darker in very clear water lakes compared to the same fish in green or light brown colored waters.
CC your circular reasoning is an attempt to support a statement by simply repeating the statement in different or stronger terms. In this fallacy, the reason given is nothing more than a restatement of the conclusion that poses as the reason for the conclusion.

You Stated : "dark for some of us might mean not being able to see very far, hence I can't see my bait very far under the water so it must be dark. Distance of a lures visibility has nothing to do with light or dark as far as water color"

.It shares much with the false authority fallacy because we accept these statements based solely on the fact that someone else claims it to be so. Often, we feel we can trust another person so much that we often accept his claims without testing the logic. This is called blind trust, and it is very dangerous. We might as well just talk in circles.
Old 04-15-09, 06:47 AM   #5
CCbass

All I was saying in what I posted was that dark might not be what most of us as fisherman think of as dark. Me seeing only two inches I might think its dark out being I see thru air, if I am in a blizzard and its daylight, I only see that far and it is white.
Old 04-15-09, 07:34 AM   #6
bamabassman

i get it cc. but really. if you are talking about water clarity versus how deep you can see you lure when it goes down in the water, please say ti that way, ok? in other words... don't make it rocket science for the younger folks out there. explain it in plain english,lol. when we talk about water clarity, we mean weather it is stained or muddy. how stained or muddy is up to the individual to determine.
Old 04-15-09, 07:57 AM   #7
CCbass

Bamabassman you missed the point of this post, its not about the stain or clarity if the water, its about the color of the water and the for mentioned. There is a very suttle difference to the two and that is why I posted this.
Old 04-15-09, 08:45 AM   #8
bamabassman

ok, maybe i did miss the point. i THINK i understand now. and yes there is a subtle difference in color of different bodies of water. color is different in each body of water in every lake. some lakes have different color in different parts of the lake. i agree with that.
Old 04-15-09, 09:23 AM   #9
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

i have no clue of what you said. im thinkin exactly what jb said, you said one thing and then said that wasnt right? i dont understand anything you said, but in alot of your posts all i see is, ''for the young posters'' and '' I see alot of posts by young posters.'' how can you make everything for and/or about young people when in fact most of us ''young posters'' and even most of the older posters dont even understand? ive read over what you saidd three times and dont even remotely see what you mean. so fellas whos gettin into the first circle talking group?
Old 04-15-09, 10:46 AM   #10
basstech

So if I'm understanding this correctly, your're saying "dark water" as it relates to the overall appearance of water color regardless of clarity. I.E.- Bull Schoals lake is very clear, can see 15 to 20 feet down but looking at the water, it almost looks black, so you would call that "dark water"? Grand Lake in Oklahoma tends to be (to me) very muddy, visibilty wise your lucky to see a foot down but the color of the water is a yellowish light brown, so that would be "light water"? Is that what you mean CCBass?
Old 04-15-09, 11:06 AM   #11
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Look I'm from LA (Lower Arkansas) to me if the water is stained and you cant see your bait very far thats dark water, If its clear and you have good visibility thats not dark water.

If I want to overcomplicate things while fishing I'll just mess with my bait colors
Old 04-15-09, 02:13 PM   #12
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah dude your first statement lost me.... if you cant see your bait when its 2 inches under water... the water is dark.... we dont mean the water is black we mean its muddy
Old 04-15-09, 04:36 PM   #13
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, what Doc said.
Old 04-16-09, 03:37 AM   #14
CCbass

Basstech yes thats exactly what I mean and in that I bet different color lures work on each lake. For me its the opposite of what most think, in light I use lighter colors in dark I use darker colors. See what I am getting at?
Old 04-16-09, 05:05 AM   #15
CCbass

The reality is this post was to show bait choice as far as water being light or dark. Most of you have disagreed with me as far as what I deem light and bark as water. For a fun example look at bass you caught in light paper bag brown water (muddy) and fish you caught in very clear water, is one not darker then the other?
Old 04-16-09, 10:25 AM   #16
bingham

yeah the muddy water fish is lighter than the clear water because the sun reaches the clear lake fish... whats your point?
Old 04-16-09, 06:23 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
The reality is this post was to show bait choice as far as water being light or dark. Most of you have disagreed with me as far as what I deem light and bark as water. For a fun example look at bass you caught in light paper bag brown water (muddy) and fish you caught in very clear water, is one not darker then the other?
cc this subject would inculd tanic water and bottom compesition..in tanic water the water is clear just looks like tea..it is a stained condition..bottom comp.. alge causes the bottom to change colors such as a hump that has green alge on it would look like a black spot in clear water..

i know what you were trying to say..but this really was a confusing way of saying it..

zooker
Old 04-17-09, 04:50 AM   #18
CCbass

zooker, true, but does not sometimes confusion equal clarity, are we meant to learn from what seems obvious or from what confuses us. To me if its obvious I have not learned, or in fact already have learned it. If I am a little confused it makes me want to learn more about it. This is in fact just how I have come to learn what I know about bass fishing.
Old 04-17-09, 05:11 AM   #19
CCbass

bingham, the sun reaching the fish in clear water has nothing to do with why they are darker, bass don't tan. Its about adapting to there enviroment, bass as a preditor wants to be invissable to its prey for the most part. Lighter in light water and darker in dark water, and on the flip side so does his prey.
Old 04-17-09, 07:30 AM   #20
WTL

Quote:
does not sometimes confusion equal clarity, are we meant to learn from what seems obvious or from what confuses us
You might be a good fisherman, you might understand what you are saying, but you suck at relating it. Confusion equals clarity? No.

I have finally started to pick up on what the conversation is about, but we havent even applied, so far as I can tell, the subject to the practice of fishing. Its just fish biology, but even that aspect is not well fleshed out.

The words you've picked are all wrong. Fish don't become darker in "dark" clear water. They become more defined. Their lateral line and other markings become more defined. It is the difference between standard Olive Drab army camo and Mossy Oak or Realtree or something. Sometimes more definition helps something disappear more. Its probably because in clear water, you can see so much of the backdrop - every blade of grass, every stick, every bending ray of light - in this situation camouflaging the silhouette of the fish is not enough.

In muddy water, that is water that has very little distance visibility, they turn flat whitish because everything is made to look flat in that water, and so then if you have something with all those markings it would tend to stand out just a bit more. In low vis water, all you really have to do is pick a color that blends the silhouette of the fish in. In muddy water, everything looks muddy. So the fish, in turn, turns a dirty white color.

But all of this ignores the fishing aspect, and the huge question.....

Lets say we assume for sake of argument that fish become brighter and more defined in clearer water and duller in low-vis water. What do we as fishermen do? Do we attempt to match the hatch and throw flat colored crankbaits in low vis conditions, or do we want the crankbait to stand out so we do the opposite of what happens in nature? Class?

Last edited by WTL; 04-17-09 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 07:43 AM   #21
JB

did the vampire mean bark or dark?
Old 04-19-09, 03:44 AM   #22
CCbass

WTL I stated it relays to lure choice and water color, I also stated what colors I use when. The only arguement was in fact what I see as light and dark as far as water color. JB do you really want me to count spelling errors on this sight, I don't have that much time.
Old 04-19-09, 08:23 AM   #23
JB

drac, I know its daylight now and you won't see this till its dark again, but do you even bass fish anymore? we never hear of any fishing reports from you.......
Old 04-19-09, 04:42 PM   #24
bingham

Quote:
bingham, the sun reaching the fish in clear water has nothing to do with why they are darker, bass don't tan. Its about adapting to there enviroment, bass as a preditor wants to be invissable to its prey for the most part. Lighter in light water and darker in dark water, and on the flip side so does his prey.
no s*** sherlock, but the bass arent gonna have to have distinction of their patterns on their body since the water is DARK and MUDDY. you said it yourself "its about adapting to [their] environment", if the sun cant reach the fish then its dark which means its harder for the prey(crayfish, minnows, shad, etc) to see the predator(the bass) which in turn means they need no camoflauge(patterns on their body) which in turn means you just made the dumbest comment ive ever read. and in the piece i quoted your words, i put the brackets on [their] because you didnt actually spell it the right way, sorry i guess it was too "bark" in your computer room.

and if youve ever caught a bass in a normally dark lake or pond or river, it has less color than the clear one, thats why i made the original statement.
Old 04-20-09, 01:49 AM   #25
CCbass

I fish a lake, you can only see 2 inches into the water, the fish I catch are light brown and silve/white and almost no other real pattern on them. I fish another lake thats very clear 3/4 foot visibility, the bass I catch are very green, white, and all the normal black bass markings are visible. I catch bluegill in the first lake they are all light green and yellow with hardly any other markings, I catch bluegill in the second lake they are dark copper, dark blue/purple, and dark orange and have all the markings of a bluegill. The first lake is light paper bag brown, the second dark and clear, Why is this such a hard concept to understand.
Closed Thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.