Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-10-11, 09:33 PM   #1
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Acceptable jig trailers

Hey guys, not too farmiliar with jig fishing and still learning.. I'm really curios to see what everyone else feels is the best jig trailors to use. I watched Kevin's video and I'm still a little confused on the subject. My first couple attemts I was using shortened Berkley and LFT worms (texas rigged, hanging about 2" off hook). Is this acceptable? What else would you guys use?
Old 03-10-11, 09:36 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

smitty i have used exactly what oyu are doing. it will work. but i also use paca craws, pork and various other things as well. crawdads come to mind. use your inmagination pal. don't let this confuse oyu. take your time and you'll get it. don't OVERTHINK the stuff. there are so many things on the market that this happens all the time. one step at a time.
Old 03-10-11, 09:50 PM   #3
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

Typically a jig imitates a craw so trailers with pincers or pincer like action seem to be most popular. Personally I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad" trailer to use but my go to trailer is a yum craw daddy with the pincer tips dipped in JJ's garlic dye chartreuse then methylate which makes a nice orange.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 09:56 PM   #4
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats lifelong advice bama! I'm really happy to hear that I wasn't using the wrong gear haha. And I think the next time I go out ill throw something with legs that kick around.. Like your crawdad.
Old 03-10-11, 11:28 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I really like Baby Paca Craws in a similar but contrasting color of the jig. I also use Zoom Speed Craws occasionally. But I've heard of people using all kinds of things, from split tail grubs to Senkos wacky rigged to topwater frogs.
Old 03-10-11, 11:35 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most anything will work just fine. There is no right or wrong.

That said, Powerbait Chigger Craws are my favorite jig trailers. I've also used RI Sweet Beavers a bit (or at least an RI knockoff).

BB
Old 03-12-11, 01:54 PM   #7
Raul

There is no such thing as "best jig trailors to use", you can use in practical terms any soft plastic or pork cut for a trailer. The selection of the type/size of trailer depends upon many factors: overal size ( jig + trailer ), rate of fall, vibration emiting properties, added action you want to show and incorporate to the jig. Larger trailers may add weight but also reduce the rate of fall ( the jig will sink slower ), more appendages ---> more vibration and so on and a trailer doesn´t have to be specifically a bait/chunk supposedly molded or cut and advertized as trailer. What do I use ? as I said, practically any soft plastic in my T-box is a trailer, most of the times I use grubs, worms and craws but I also use creatures ( frogs, lizards, brush hogs, etc ) as trailers.

So there´s no best and there´s no wrong, you need to try different stuff to find out what´s working better.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 01:56 PM   #8
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The search function on the site will give you more to read than you have time for.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...earchid=307151
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 05:01 PM   #9
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

use your imagination, and try and immitate what ever you want.....bluegill, water dog, craw, small shad.... dont think of it as a "jig", it's just a hook with a weight, make it do what ever you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	6362  
Old 03-14-11, 05:56 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
use your imagination, and try and immitate what ever you want.....bluegill, water dog, craw, small shad.... dont think of it as a "jig", it's just a hook with a weight, make it do what ever you want.
Do you know where I can buy some live waterdogs?
Old 03-15-11, 09:31 AM   #11
Lvitch

No, only ever seen them for sale in CA. Thats why I made a jig that looked like one lol.
Old 03-22-11, 09:12 PM   #12
M_A_C_K

I've read that when using a trailer try to pick one that isn't too long. From personal experience i have to agree. One of the best or at least my favorite is just a swimtail grub. Just match a grub to the color of your jig skirt. Smaller grubs for smaller jigs and bigger grubs for bigger jigs. Picking the right size is more important than most would think cuz too long and they might not bite or you may get a short strike. So match the color and match the size, happy fishing.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:45 PM   #13
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_A_C_K View Post
I've read that when using a trailer try to pick one that isn't too long. From personal experience i have to agree. One of the best or at least my favorite is just a swimtail grub. Just match a grub to the color of your jig skirt. Smaller grubs for smaller jigs and bigger grubs for bigger jigs. Picking the right size is more important than most would think cuz too long and they might not bite or you may get a short strike. So match the color and match the size, happy fishing.

Cool... thought I was the only one using large grubs.

to the OP.

Any plastic will work.... even torn in half frogs. something to give the jig body, and a slower decend.

the more features and ribs on a trailer will make it decend slower....

other than that like said above dont over think the bait. Most jigs are reaction baits. they just see a general mass of a vauge color and hammer it...if its in front of their face.

Presentation of the jig when it hits the water is more important than a trailer of a certian design....IMHO....of course.
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:25 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Here is a video that we shot a while back when we were still running the jig company. It seems pretty relevant to the post here so I thought I would share it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFL3F...eature=related
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 08:05 PM   #15
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

great video c-rig. since my original post, ive ordered about half of the trailers mentioned in your video lol. but i think my new favorite is the spear craw from minda lures. when they came in i went to my hometown lake and threw em just for kicks (still have a 40 - 50 degree water temp up here in jersey) and a little pike absolutely NAILED it on my 3rd or 4th cast.
Old 03-23-11, 08:19 PM   #16
Jim80

Hey man say that strike rage toads work great as a jig trailer as well , I keep the ones that get torn up after they are fished top water then snip a little off the front and toss them on a jig and swim them a touch above the bottom , works great .

Jim
Old 03-23-11, 08:20 PM   #17
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Do you know where I can buy some live waterdogs?

HAhahahahahaha it's been a while since that was asked .

Jim
Old 03-23-11, 08:30 PM   #18
Lvitch

I missed it I guess.... lol. That's what they call em in CA. Big suckers too about 8-12 in long.
Old 03-23-11, 10:00 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
I missed it I guess.... lol. That's what they call em in CA. Big suckers too about 8-12 in long.
It was before you came along buddy. Years back there was a thread about waterdogs and it got out of hand and since then has become a classic thread. Anytime waterdogs come up in a thread someone usually stirs the pot a little lol.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 10:52 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Old 03-23-11, 11:19 PM   #21
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

senko's actually work pretty well when the water is below 40 deg's.....
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 01:44 PM   #22
mcneilkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Like bamabassman said, dont over think it. Using the right trailer should be an easy selection. Like everyone said, craws work great. I use them and get great bites. The only thing that should go through your mind is the right color to use on that piticular part of water. "match the hatch" Match your jig and trailer to the colors of the bait fish in the water. Easy as that.
mcneilkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.