Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-24-05, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Advice on clear water ponds

I am going to my friends pond that is crystal clear and you can see the bass swimming around everywhere. I have always had a hard time fishing in clear water. Could you give me some advice on lure selection. Thanks.
Old 05-24-05, 09:09 PM   #2
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: Advice on clear water ponds

If you can see the bass, they can see you. Perhaps nighttime would be best, but maybe you need to fish during the day.

Try wearing dull-colored clothing to appear less conspicuous. If shore fishing, try to cast while standing as far back from the bank as possible.

I'd start with quiet lures that are less likely to spook the fish. Like soft plastics on jigheads or Texas-rigged or jig-and-pig. If you use crankbaits, try some with no rattles.

But I'd try to fish low-light periods if you can.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 09:49 PM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Get a deer blind and try that! ;D

Marty's got the right Idea try fishing on 45* angles so they can't see ya or try casting to the other bank from the opposite side. or fish with the sun at you back so the sun drwons you out but don't cast a shadow. fish near dark it's harder fro them to see out of the water near dark. or theres fishing top water at night.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 09:54 PM   #4
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Not going to make much of a diffrence but.....stren florocarbon
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 11:53 PM   #5
the_mud_man

sundown or overcast days are best for me at my favorite striping pit,and you cantr find water clearer than that. I like using 6" worms either manns jelly worms or zoom trick worm or swamp crawlers. Also #7 jointed original rapalas
Old 05-25-05, 12:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I'll try some of those.
Old 05-25-05, 09:49 AM   #7
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I fish one of those all the time. It can be tough but I've caught bass in the middle of the day on natural colored spinnerbaits with blue flake and stuff like that in the skirt. I've also caught them on a variety of soft plastics, just about anything, hard jerkbaits work alright too, and I've caught a few on crankbaits.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 09:56 AM   #8
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Just fished one Sat. for the first time.
Clear water aint no big deal as long as you follow the same routine as for stained or murky water:

1. Know the depths and bottom configurations - underwater maps and sonar are a start, as well as just moving around the water to scout out the type of structure it possesses. Once you know where the drops are, the bottom composition and weed types and density, you'll hopefully know what types of lures and presentations that have the most potential.

Make mental notes for future casts, especially in shallow water. Once you've trolled over an area under 6', most likely the fish will be spooked, but may be susceptible later in the day in the same spot.

2. Weed beds and depth, negate clear water disadvantages - fish will strike any effective lure just as powerfully as in murky water. There are many lures that will do well in 10' or more and there are a few lures that are good for vertical jigging (though few anglers have the patience to stand over fish in 20' and hop spoons all day). Â*One of the best semi-vertical shallow or weed presentation is drop-shotting.

Weeds hide you from the fish and vice versa, so lures that do well in pads, over long grass, near stick ups and past tree trunks, will be hit even if your standing in a boat, 10 yards away. This brings me to:

3. Long casts, using low or no stretch line. - are especially needed for clear water and shallow structure edges. Most presentations that involve flipping or pitching, require stealth and the methodical presentation to closer, individual targets. Long distance presentations , can cover more water quickly and deeper (in the case of deep dive crankbaits or slow rolled spinnerbaits. Casts of 25 yards or more put you well outside their above-water, field of vision.

This last weekend I worked large weedy flats with Sammies and Senkos and clobbered over a dozen bass in 2-3' of clear water. The fish darted out from under weed cover in Â*the open lanes of pads and blasted whatever I cast. (Pics included)

The lake had steep edges and in some areas dropped fast to 10'. Flash jigs and grubs got hit by bass, crappie and large 'gills. Lay downs extended from shore to 10 feet and vertical jigging beneath the lowest branches, caught a few bass and over a dozen crappie.

4. The wind is your friend in clear water. Subsurface weeds and forage are moving all around, with wave motion scattering light and debris. If a bass's aggressiveness is on high in this or any situation, water clarity is a plus for a bass's near-vision targeting of prey (or lures) and it's attention is on feeding and not as much on getting caught or eaten (by birds). Bird-eating fish dive in and catch surface feeding bass and so can the angler, even in gin clear water.

5. If your going to sight fish, use the best subtle lures that make the least spash or that can be cast well past the fish.- Even aggressive fish have only so much tolerance for for noise or large shadows or objects approaching them. If I see a surface swirl, I kneel and cast and rise quickly to set the hook if I feel the fish. I one fish is around, chances are more will be near and in similar cover.

I don't totally believe that line visibility makes a difference, but occassionally will use a florocarbon leader for finesse or slow presentations in clear water - just to be on the safe side.

The degree of lure flash is dependent on light conditions and what the fish won't shy away from. Gold blades have a place on days where white, nichel or chrome puts fish off. This applies to spinnerbait blades, lipless cranks, weedless spoons, jerk minnows (ie. Rebel) and bright white baits. (Weird how fish turn away from some bright colors or flash on one day, but chomp them with abandon on other days.)

But one thing I definitely do well on, is florescent-colored jerk worms in clear water (more so than stained). Seems to really piss 'em off that something so bright (and uncamoflaged) would dare enter their space. LR can tell you of his success with fl. pink jerk sticks in early spring.

All of this is based on observations and experimentation over many years and not meant to be authoritative. Just sharing that which many also have experienced or taught me.
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.