Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-15-09, 11:58 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Finally Found my Treasure

Hehe, it took me years and years to find one, but I finally was able to purchase a lure like I used when I was 11 years old (30 years ago). It was very hard to find in the correct paint job, and the company who made it, Red River Lures, went out of business a long time ago. Behold the glory that is the "Pregnant Guppie"!

This thing was total murder on pike and bass back in 1979! check out the awesome paint job and the size of this thing (3-1/2" long). I'm feeling so nostaligc, I might go try to find a nice fiberglass trolling rod!

But seriously, I am thinking about incorporating this lure into a nice Northern Pike mount, sort of as a fond remembrance of being a young, enthusiastic angler. It would look totally sweet being "chased" by a hungry 24-inch pike, with some Eurasian Millfoil in the background.
Old 06-16-09, 12:38 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Nothing like finding and filling that certain void to complete a memory of old. Glad you found you one.
Old 06-16-09, 12:24 PM   #3
Bassboss

wow! that a pretty sweet lure love the bait job!! How much was it?
Old 06-16-09, 12:40 PM   #4
nofearengineer

I ended up paying $10.50 for it, when shipping is added in. Not a bad deal at all, as far as I'm concerned. I have seen a few plain orange ones, and more white with red face ones, but it took forever to find one in this paint pattern. Of course, the one I had way back then didn't look like this for long. The pike scratched off all of the paint up to the face...the thing still caught them after that. I think it's the action of the lure that is the secret. After reading Islandbass's post on making his own crankbaits, I may have to pull this through the water a few times to see the action, and then try to duplicate it with a new home-made lure, because I am not searching for it again.
Old 06-16-09, 08:58 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Gotta be a good feeling to find it. And you're right, $10.50 was a steal. I've paid that much on Ebay for a lure just cuz they were discontinued and they catch me fish. Your story is a whole nother level altogether.
Like your Pike mount plan as well. Certainly beats snagging it on a log!
Old 06-16-09, 09:46 PM   #6
aikenyounggun

yeah dude that is super cool, maybe i should put some stuff in a hidin place so i can remember it when i get older

their was a article in a Bassmaster about using old lures if they didnt cost much, i thought it wa pretty cool that people could and would throw these and catch fish

yeah i think 10.50 is a steal..... a guy in my club wanted to buy a color from zoom that they had discontinued and he had to buy a 1000 bags...... you can guess how exs*****ve that was.......color hasnt been the same since.....
Old 06-16-09, 11:36 PM   #7
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
After reading Islandbass's post on making his own crankbaits, I may have to pull this through the water a few times to see the action, and then try to duplicate it with a new home-made lure.
Before you fish with it and loose it, pull a mold from it and then you can pour your own......been reading up on that from the guys over at Tackleunderground.....it doesn't appear to be that hard.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 09:31 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Before you fish with it and loose it, pull a mold from it and then you can pour your own......been reading up on that from the guys over at Tackleunderground.....it doesn't appear to be that hard.
You know, you're right! I can singlehandedly be responsible for the rebirth of the Guppie! muwahahah. I would just need to figure out how to get it out of the mold without damaging the paint job. But I'm sure it can be done.
Old 06-17-09, 09:34 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I watched Larry Dahlburg [sp?] of Hunt for Big Fish makeing molds of baits. It did seem fairly easy.

BB
Old 06-17-09, 06:46 PM   #10
bamabassman

nofear, maybe line it with waspaper? or something similier?
Old 06-17-09, 06:56 PM   #11
nofearengineer

I think I can get away with shrink-wrapping most of it. The bill will pose challenges though. I think I can at the very least produce a close enough replica, then sand that one down til it's perfect (I have micrometers and everything to check thickness ), then make a better mold from that one, since I won't have to worry about messing up a finish anymore.

I just have to learn how to do the plastic. Hmmmm....I wonder if I should try to find a cheaper, beat-up one with crappy paint to cut up to look at the rattle chamber...got me thinking now hehe.
Old 06-17-09, 08:02 PM   #12
bamabassman

that's an engineer for ya, hahahahaha. just don't overthink it ok? ROFLMAO!

shrink wrap sounds good. finding another one beat up sounds better.
Old 06-18-09, 11:43 AM   #13
66KingFisher

From what i've been seeing, your not gonna harm the finish on your lure by making a mold with it.......it doesn't work that way......check out some of the how-to videos in the media gallery at www.smooth-on.com They make the mold making products alot of the tackle builders use....I think after you watch a few videos you'll have a better understanding, and realize your not gonna harm your original lure.....Good luck and keep us posted.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:15 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Thanks 66, I will take a look after work or on my lunch hour. Browsing message boards is where I draw the line.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.