Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-21-09, 08:23 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Baitmonkey Feeding plus more!

So, my dad and I went to BPS last night. I was planning on checking out three rods and about 5 spinning reels to decide which I like the best.

For the rods, I was looking at the St. Croix Mojo Bass, Daiwa L&T, and Shimano Compre. They didn't have many compres, but the one's I held had great feels and were fairly light and balanced well. The one thing I didn't like was the rear cork handle was a lot wider than the reel seat. The Daiwa L&T was a bit dissapointing to me. It was probably the heaviest of all three rods and the worst balanced. I also didn't care for the plastic reel seat on the spinning model. The Mojo Bass rod was very light and balanced well. I like most split grips, and this was no except. The bottom of the grip was large enough to handle when two handed casting and the rest was very comfortable. It was also the cheapest rod in the line up. I'm not a big St. Croix fan, but I think they outdid themselves on this one, especially for the price. I'm ordering the 7' M Tube rod from Tackle Warehouse today.

The reels were a much harder decision. I had 130 bucks to spend on the reel, so all of them were between 100 and 130. I was looking at the Abu Garcia Soron, Daiwa Tierra, Pfueger Supreme, Shimano Symetre, and Shimano Saros. Right away I eliminated the Soron, since they didn't have it. but the lady I talked to said the employees got to check them out and she said it was a very nice reel. The Symetre wasn't as smooth as the Saros, sobye bye symetre. Size wise the Tierra 2500, Saros 2500 and Supreme 8030 were similar. The Tierra held more line, than the other two, but the Supreme was smaller than the others. In the bearing count, the supreme won hands down with 10, followed the tierra with 8 I think and the Saros had 6 I think. They were all equally smooth, but the saros (9.9oz) was a bit heavier than the Tierra (9.6oz), but the Supreme (7.4oz) was the lightest by far being it's a magnesium reel.Like I said, they're all very smooth, but you could feel the gears move in the Daiwa Tierra. But they said that's a good thing on tackle tour?! I don't know...

Being a bit hesitant about buying a Shimano after my bad experience with the Sahara, I (finally) decided on the Pflueger. While it doesn't have has many features like the shimano fancy spool, anti-twist thingy, or Daiwa airbail and twist buster, it did seem to be a great value. So I said, let me go grab the Mojo rod and stick the reel on to see how it balances with the rod. I come, back and she's got the display reel off the display handle. Uh-oh... They were out of the 8030 and I didn't want to go up to the 35. So, it gives me an excuse to go back!

So, being disappointed, I went to look at tackle. My dissapointment soon disappeared as I started putting stuff in the cart and checking it off my small list (the BPS catalog ). Anyways, I've been saving money for a while and needed some new stuff for summer.

So here's what the monkey got me for:

1 TT 4" slow/fast sinking swimbait in Bluegill. Can't wait to fish this little guy.
2 Rapala Clackin' Raps, Glass Ghost and Yellow Perch
2 Rat-L-Traps, black/chrome and firetiger
1 Bandit Footloose in Bluegill. The weeds in the local res. are too high for the 100 series now.
2 Bandit 100 series, forgot colors
2 Strike King KVD tourny spinnerbaits, Bluegill and Sexy Shad
1 Booyah swimmin' Jig, White
1 PowerBait Crazy Legs Chigger Craw, watermelon candy
1 Strike King flippin' Tubes, Green Pumpkin
1 Rage Tail Anaconda 7", GReen Pumpkin
1 Lucky Craft Rick Clunn Deep Knocker, Ghost Green Perch (The LC made me forget about them not having my reel.

I think that's about it. They didn't have some of the stuff I wanted like the new Booyah Pip-squeak buzzbait, but I made up for it in other stuff.

Now time for the Plus More! We get on the expressway to head home and an old truck is behind me. about 1/2 a mile down the road, there a classic car on the side of the road with a flat tire poor them... And my dad remembers, there's a car show at the Wendy's off the next exit. So we get off and go check out the show. It wasn't real big, but there were some nice cars. A very nice unrestored Challenger, a really nice 68 Vette in a cool dark green. a couple cars that were souped up for drag racing, mid 70's vette, and a couple mopars. About 8 new corvettes, a new Camaro SS V8. Looks nice in Black.

So, I think it was a good day. Trip to BPS, a car show, and a Spicy Chicken sandwich!

BB
Old 06-21-09, 09:46 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sounds like a good haul haul man

Jim
Old 06-21-09, 10:45 AM   #3
Bassboss

Great lot of stuff man! You're not gonna be disappointed with the annas! How ever I would have got the 10" though, the 7" are great too!
Old 06-21-09, 01:04 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sounds like a great day all the way around! I have yet to try out my Clackin Rap. Never seems to make it from the house to the tackle box.
I was totally impressed with the Pflueger Supreme when I checked it out a while back
Old 06-21-09, 04:30 PM   #5
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats sweet BB. The car show sounds like a good time. The only thing that I would be mindful about on the pflueger is the spool size and lip style. My fishing buddy has that reel(2009 model) and it casts fairly well with light mono, but anything over 10 he has real distance problems. I have been able to consistently outcast him by 15-20 feet with a 3/16 shaky head and 8 lb bps flouro with my symetre.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 04:32 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Thats sweet BB. The car show sounds like a good time. The only thing that I would be mindful about on the pflueger is the spool size and lip style. My fishing buddy has that reel(2009 model) and it casts fairly well with light mono, but anything over 10 he has real distance problems. I have been able to consistently outcast him by 15-20 feet with a 3/16 shaky head and 8 lb bps flouro with my symetre.

I'm safe then. I use 8-10# mono
Old 06-21-09, 08:13 PM   #7
BigBassin144

I was thinking 6lb fluoro for finesse, but may go up to 8lb since I'll be using on the rocks for smallies as well.

I ordered the rod from Tackle Warehouse today,but it's on backorder till the 25th they said. Not too bad. They said I should have it by the 2nd. I'll have to head to BPS when I get the rod and get the reel.

BB
Old 06-22-09, 03:17 AM   #8
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds great man, Glad you found one that fits you.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 08:04 AM   #9
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

tell me how those clackin raps work out.... they are the ones with only 2 steel ball in them right?

good haul tho
Old 06-22-09, 10:03 AM   #10
BigBassin144

One steel ball. I'll let ya know. lipless crankbaits don't work that great for me up here though.

BB
Old 06-23-09, 02:42 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I was thinking 6lb fluoro for finesse, but may go up to 8lb since I'll be using on the rocks for smallies as well.

I ordered the rod from Tackle Warehouse today,but it's on backorder till the 25th they said. Not too bad. They said I should have it by the 2nd. I'll have to head to BPS when I get the rod and get the reel.

BB
OK, so I check Tackle Warehouse and now they say they should be in July 27th!!! Does this mean the shipment got delayed or the got their shipment expected on June 25th early and are already sold out again?

I'm really hoping for the first one cause I don't want to wait till August to get my rod! and it's already ordered, so I can't just buy it from the store now.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.