Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-09-05, 09:12 PM   #1
AdamH
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Gut Hooked

Hey folks - This is my first post here. I have been using Yamamoto 5" Senkos and catching fish like crazy. I am using Red EWG Gamakatsu(<spelling?) Worm Hooks in 3/0 and 4/0 sizes. The size doesn't really seem to make a difference. The problem is.....About a third of the fish arrive at the boat with the hook in their throat. I know if I try to remove it, it's gonna kill the fish. So, I cut the line at the eye of the hook and release the fish. First of all, is this the best procedure? and secondly, what's the best thing I can do do set the hook earlier? It's like there's a fine line between the initial bite and the fish actually having the bait in it's mouth. So the problem is when to actually set the hook.Is there some technique to detect the right time or maybe a different worm hook? Also, I've been told that if you just cut the line and leave the hook, eventually it will work it's way out and the fish will be fine. Is there any truth to that. I just want to catch fish, not kill'em. Any help would be appreciated.
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-05, 10:13 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First off the best way is to get the hook out quickly if possible. As for the senko's and the deep hooking, yes that can happen a lot. You definately have to get good at detecting bites, and watching your line. There is another post that shows a tool I use to remove the hook quickly, it costs .79 cents. If you can't get it out qucikly, another great tool is a pair of side cutters, that you cut the hook as close to the skin as possible, and then feed the end out. How do you detect the bite sooner, or set the hook sooner, well that takes time to learn, but if you feel any resistance or a heaviness on the line, then set the hook. Your method is better than to keep the fish out of the water, and tear it up too much, and many times the fish will be fine.

Here's a link to the other post.
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ead.php?t=4185

Lizards
Old 08-09-05, 10:14 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you need to wait until the fish throws up the white flags, then set the hook. unfortunately its not that easy. I just try to keep a tight line and when I feel the first bump (unless its a big worm) I reel my rodtip down along with any slack and set the hook. The hooks will disolve from the stomach acids. I've was reading an article about a year ago, it mentioned to cut the line 12-18 inches from the hook. I can't remember there reasoning, but I do remember it made perfect sense and knew it was a habit to employ. However, if you get a long pair of needle nose plyers, or one of those long thin hook removers, you can reach up through the gill slits and have an excellent angle to pull the hook out. Since using this method, I haven't had to leave hooks in any fish, and one time I actually got my wild shiner back, lol, alive and kicking still.
Old 08-10-05, 12:11 AM   #4
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

just watch where the line meets the water. You'll see that little bit of cohesion on the line where it breaks the surface of the water, and if that starts to move the SLIGHTEST bit away from you or from one side to another and you're not moving the line, then reel down then snap your rod back to about 10 or 11. The whole reel down to set should take about a second or two. If you feel that the fish hasn't really taken the bait just yet, reel down and wait for a LIGHT tension on the line then set.

That would be my best advice for someone not used to feeling bites.

You might miss a fish or two here and there, but I'm pretty confident with Tiki Sticks(same as a senko) that I can throw it back there and catch the fish next time. Matter of fact I have pulled it away from a fish only to cast right back to the spot and catch it the next time my bait hits the water.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:02 AM   #5
AdamH
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I'm going to try a few things and see what works. It occured to me last night that I could bring the hook through the other way after cutting the line....maybe. I'm also thinking about starting to mash the barbs down and I'm going to get a hook disgorger. Also, I'll probably just try and set the hook sooner. I've been fishing all my life but just started with worm hooks and Senkos. It won't take long for me to get the right formula.
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:04 AM   #6
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You will gut hook some bass with a senko. Cut your line and take the hook and turn it around and put it throught the gill area and then since you have the hook push it strait out of th fishes gullet area. It works all the time. If they swallow it cut the line cuss their is nothing you can do.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.