Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-08-11, 10:52 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default School project... in and outs of flippin a jig!

Got a pretty cool project in english class I gotta do. It's a public speakin sorta thing, and we had a few different categories of things to do. I picked to do a demonstration. It's gotta be 8-10 minuets long.

I chose to demonstrate and explain the ins and outs of flipping and pitching a jig. I picked this because it's the easiest thing fishing related to demonstrate in side a class room other then tying knots which not everyone could really see.

On to the point......

If you where going to explain to someone, perhaps here on the forum, or writing an article on how to flip and pitch a jig. How would you organize it whole thing for em? I'd like to start out in a way that each thing would build on its self. So rather then BOOM going into the actual flipping of the jig, I'd like to start out explain choosing gear. Or perhaps starting on WHEN and WHAT conditions you want to flip a jig. Or do you think I should start with something else?

I'm not asking for tips or anything like that, I'm asking how you would explain - start and finish - on how to flip a jig, having each thing build on it's self.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 12-08-11, 11:05 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would begin by stating the problem/challenge that pitching solves. Word it however you want but something along the lines of....you must present/place a small object to a very small specific target very quietly yada yada..
Old 12-08-11, 11:23 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

Goin of ken's idea, tell you need to get to this small place cause fish sit locked to structure in certain conditions, but definately need to present what pitching helps
Old 12-09-11, 12:27 AM   #4
keithdog

I did the exact same thing back in High School. I had to do a demonstration speech in speech class. So I chose to demonstrate how to cast a fishing rod. Not sure pitchin was even used back in those days, lol. Anyways, I started out by explaining the rod and reel and how to properly hold both, and then the specifics of how to cast. Proper angle of the wrist and all. I put a paper plate near the back of the class as a target and made a few casts while showing again the proper technique to throw the lure and such. But importantly, I asked volunteers to come up and give it a try. My teacher pointed out to me that having people come up to try casting the rod, getting the crowd involved hands on, earned me a better score. Good luck with your assignment.
Old 12-09-11, 02:30 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You better take a Zebco if you planning on getting volunteers or a few spare reels hahahaha.
Just like Ken said, start with the purpose of pitching/flipping, go in to the equipment used (You are on TT enough, you should know everything down to the particles the material is made of), and then demonstrate. Easy 8-10 min and never let them see you sweat and keep your hands out of your pockets. Nothing worse than watching a speaker unknowingly play pocket pool to cover his nervousness.
Old 12-09-11, 04:18 AM   #6
islandbass

Remember to choose words that your audience can understand. If you gave the presentation to us, you'd be preaching to the choir. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I gave a little presentation to tying knots for a group seniors and thought I had my bases covered. I didn't realize that having magnifying glasses would have been handy as well as using hooks with bigger eyes. Did I mention their hands shook too much to effectively tie a knot? Yikes! If I make it to their age, I hope someone will be around to tie my knots if I can't!
Old 12-09-11, 08:59 AM   #7
rrw4258

Sammy, you may want to watch this video of Denny Brauer... he demonstrates flipping and pitching in this video, and talks about any and everything to do with flipppin and pitching. He explains things very well, and it may give you some organization ideas for your speech. The videdo is over an hour long, so it should give you some good ideas on where to place things in your speech.

http://www.bassmaster.com/video/bass...g-and-pitching

I did things like this in high school all the time, and fishing related speeches got me alot of blank stares by friends, but hey they say to talk about what you know, and this is what we all know best. Good Luck!

Ryan
Old 12-09-11, 07:50 PM   #8
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You might also show and explain the differences between a casting and a flipping jig and why there is a need for those differences. For an opening you might try something like why you enjoy fishing and one of your favorite baits is a jig and a couple of the most effective ways to fish a jig is flipping and pitching to heavy cover, and then start to break it down from there.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 12:23 AM   #9
Bassboss

Thanks guys! Love the ideas so far, I'll watch the video Ryan, thanks for the suggestion!

Keith, I love the idea of getting everyone involved! I'll have to check with my teacher to see if I can!
Old 12-10-11, 03:10 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You don't check with the teacher, you make it happen MAN! It's your speach! When I worked in Singapore, I gave a weekly safety presentation to 100+ sometimes and 50-75 a week now. That's how you keep the dozers and drifters in to it. Let them know that you will be calling on a few of them from the class to assist with the demonstration and people tend to be a little bit more attentive. If you have too many drifters and dozers your presentation sucks! hahahaha. I am mainly razzing you Boss, but control it and take initiative. Like Keith's teacher, she liked his initiative to be creative and different. And clip the hook off the jig before you take it to school. We are liable to see you in the liberal news for being armed with a deadly weapon in school if you don't.
Old 12-10-11, 11:52 AM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
You don't check with the teacher, you make it happen MAN! It's your speach! When I worked in Singapore, I gave a weekly safety presentation to 100+ sometimes and 50-75 a week now. That's how you keep the dozers and drifters in to it. Let them know that you will be calling on a few of them from the class to assist with the demonstration and people tend to be a little bit more attentive. If you have too many drifters and dozers your presentation sucks! hahahaha. I am mainly razzing you Boss, but control it and take initiative. Like Keith's teacher, she liked his initiative to be creative and different. And clip the hook off the jig before you take it to school. We are liable to see you in the liberal news for being armed with a deadly weapon in school if you don't.
LMAO! How true that is! I'll probably put a rubber keeper on the hook to keep it protected... I'd like to uses these jigs when I'm done!
Old 01-19-12, 02:03 PM   #12
Bassboss

Just did it today guys. Got the 2nd highest grade for the presentation out of any of my English classes that where doing this... think I did pretty good!
Old 01-19-12, 07:52 PM   #13
bluebasser86

Awesome man, congrats! Never was good at any kind of presentation in school.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 08:21 PM   #14
joedog

Great job!
I passed on the report to my fellow cheesheads.
They are really happy because GRADUATION is almost a guarantee!
Oh, a couple asked, for your trip back south do you prefer a stagecoach (Cowboy style) or should we be talking to Sea World to see how to transfer Dolphins?

Seriosly, I'm really happy you did a great job. I wish I could of attended, I bet it was a work of ART!
Old 01-19-12, 09:19 PM   #15
wallywallace

lol i had to take to public speaking classes and the above guys got ya covered
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 11:26 PM   #16
keithdog

Glad to here it Sammy. Way to go bud!
Old 01-21-12, 12:55 AM   #17
Bassboss

Thank ya fellas.
Old 01-21-12, 02:31 AM   #18
Tavery5

Nice job Sammy, you should be proud of yourself.
Old 01-24-12, 06:06 PM   #19
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good for you man, it was always fun in school when you had a project to do but could do it on one of your hobbies.

I actually could use a demo on pitching!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 12:10 AM   #20
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

just as long as u didnt backlash in front on the class haha
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.