Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-12, 03:07 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Smile crankin stick revamp, last thread for this week

well after setting up my triumph with my daiwa reel and giving it a few he hos in the water, it definate is not gonna work, when i rip it the tip bend to fast and it feels i have a fish on it, so i am stuck with it, maybe for plastics, anyway since i am mainly a shore man, what about the st croix crankster, 7'4 medium moderate action. i know mainly 5 foot is what my,lipless, coffin and square cranks will do. but if i fish from my new spots i found today i will be in the 10 foot deph range. so with the 6:5:1 daiwa on a 7'4 mojo be good for all around. OR they have a skeet reese 7' crankin rod. i do like some of his rods, but not that yellow and the croix is lighter to me, and well better all around.

thank you. will try not to ask any more, by now youd think i could help people lol

Last edited by wallywallace; 01-28-12 at 03:52 PM.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 03:16 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm not sure I follow your question, but it sounds to me like you asking about a cranking rod. I have no experience with the rods you are talking about so I can't offer any advice specifically on those rods. What I will say is for small crankbaits like Bandit 100s and the like, I like to use a rod with a really soft tip like you are describing. It helps with casting the extremley light baits and keeping fish from pulling off of the small treble hooks. These rods with soft tips are also what I like to throw jerkbaits that don't require sharp jerks (like Rogues) on. I throw all my other crankbaits or jerkbaits on MH rods. I always fished crankbaits on MH rods up until a few years ago and I started thinking maybe I was missing something because everybody was swearing by using soft rods for their cranking. I wasn't losing any fish but like a moron I went ahead and switched to medium/moderate rods for cranking and I started losing fish like crazy. I was lucky to get 3 fish out of 10 in the boat. I went back to MH cranking rods and my problems was solved. To each their own but I will never go back to a medium powered cranking rod for anything other than small crankbaits like I mentioned above.
Old 01-28-12, 03:28 PM   #3
wallywallace

thanx, i am throwing clackin wraps, bill lewis, kvd red eyes in 1/4. 1/2, and 3/8s, carolina what rod would you recomend then, and here i though the extar 4 inches on a 7'4 would give me better distance at throwing the little ones. also thought that with the extra inches that they would go deeper when i do fish the deep water,
Old 01-28-12, 03:40 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Honestly I don't know if you will be able to get a rod that is great at throwing all those baits. I personally would want 2 rods to cover these weights, 1 rod for the 1/4 and 3/8 and a heavier rod for the 1/2.

The extra 4" might help you get some more distance with the lighter baits but you will need a rod that has a soft enough tip that it loads up when you cast. Otherwise your rod is overpowering your light bait and your not going to get much distance on your cast. The 1/2oz bait will likely overpower a rod that is light enough to load up with a 1/4oz bait and as a result hurt your casting distance. Plus the bigger profile of the 1/2oz bait will require a little more backbone to get a good hookset because you have to generate enough power to move a bigger profile bait in the mouth of the fish. I know I am a little different that most anglers because I like heavier powered cranking rods than most guys, but if it were me I would look at something like a 7' medium/moderate or moderate fast rod for the lighter baits, and a 7' medium heavy/moderate or moderate fast for the 1/2oz baits. The 7' length is just a base suggestion, you might want a few inches longer depending on which brand you decide on and that is fine.

Here is a link to the rod I like to through light crankbaits and jerkbaits on. It's not a very expensive rod but it's perfect for baits in the 1/4oz-3/8oz range. Although it's rated for up to 1/2oz I think that is a little too heavy for this rod. It's the FC4-17 http://falconrods.com/index.php/rods...l-casting.html
Old 01-28-12, 03:48 PM   #5
wallywallace

thank you, you helped alot, man oh man, probably will stick with the ligher cranks then since i have more of them and throw em more. also you was talkin about a moderate fast rod, are they all made the same, i was using mine like that and as i was reeling the 3/8 it felt like i was reeling in a small gill, lol i didnt like it. maybe a M-moderate, cause the moderate fast wasnt cutting it for me
Old 01-28-12, 04:05 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

They are not all the same. They are all rated based on the same principal but it's not uncommon for one brands moderate to feel more like another brands moderate fast.

So if the tip on the moderate fast was too stiff for you then you might try a moderate.
Old 01-28-12, 04:12 PM   #7
wallywallace

alright thanx, i feel schooled, lol will check a few rods out before i make my choice,
Old 01-28-12, 05:05 PM   #8
keithdog

C Rig has given you some very good info and I would agree pretty much with everything he said. Myself, I use a 6'6" med/mod crankbait rod for my lightweight shallow crankbaits, 7'0" MH/MOD for the rest of my crankbaits. Another rod you might want to look at is the StCroix Premier Crankbait casting rods. Two of my crankbaits rods are those and I will probably be replacing my other crankbait rod for an other one of these. They are SWEEEEEETTTT crankbait rods!
Old 01-28-12, 05:42 PM   #9
wallywallace

when someone says sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt that mean hiiiigggghh as helllllllll, lol i wanted to keep it around a 100, i really like the croix rods though maybe a mojo, everytime i hear premier i see $$$$
Old 01-28-12, 09:05 PM   #10
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Premier line is not that expensive, it's a mid-range rod in price.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 10:15 PM   #11
Jrob78

One thing I will add is that the St. Croix Mojo Crankster is a glass rod. It's going to behave differently than graphite. It will have a parabolic action and will probably be pretty versatile. It won't do well with the really small, light cranks or the big deep divers. Some people really love fiberglass cranking sticks and some people hate them. Just keep that in mind when you go look at rods.
Old 01-28-12, 10:52 PM   #12
keithdog

FYI The Premier crankbait rods are $120.00 at Cabelas. Just incase you want to know.
Old 01-28-12, 11:08 PM   #13
wallywallace

sorry i was thinkin the legend, the 200+ up ones, , jrob, thanx at momment i was looking at the premair 7'2, or the 7'4 so far, i seem to like the glass rods, well the feel of them, the M moderates i messed with seem to have a good back bone and a soft tip. Seems it will let the bass inhaul it, also looking at the wrihts and mill, crankin rods as well, better looking color than yellow. i beleive the BP crankin sticks aint glass. I have a dicks sporting good gift card and 2 10 dollar certifiacates, plus a 10.00 of 50 coupon, bringin the price of the mojo crankster, down to like 12 or 15 bux, guess thats why i was into it, plus a easier solution than online since i have 60 degree weather all next week, but i dont want to jump in and mainly use shallow cranks with rod that will mess me up.
dang it didn't wanna wait till i got to bps next saturday,
Old 01-29-12, 07:49 PM   #14
wallywallace

well, after all the looking today at gander and 3 diff dicks, i found one dicks having all there skeet reese rods on sale, not a fan the color but like the action, it is a 7 glass crank rod in the series, i really would like a rod for this week. so outside of the awful color what do you guys think for the cranks i am throwing. with all my cards and discounts it will be free to me... if not i will wait to saturday and hopefully find one at bps

also the do have the Wright & McGill clunn rods, if they are better than the skeets, would you get a 7 medium or Medium heavy for the type i am throwing
Old 01-29-12, 08:18 PM   #15
Jrob78

I can't imagine there is too much difference in the blanks used on those two rods. They are both S-glass and made by the same company. The main difference I can see is in the reel seat and the color. The SKT rod has a regular reel seat and Clunn rod has a split seat. They both have "Zirconium Oxide" guides. Considering that they are fiberglass, the medium should be fine for what you are doing. Take your pick.
Old 01-29-12, 08:24 PM   #16
wallywallace

so it does seem fine for my cranks of 3-5 feet. alright i like the color of clunn better
Old 02-04-12, 09:10 PM   #17
wallywallace

welp after al the errs and ahhs, i ended up with a croix premeir 7 MH-moderate, love it
Old 02-05-12, 10:34 AM   #18
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
welp after al the errs and ahhs, i ended up with a croix premeir 7 MH-moderate, love it
I have that rod and LOOOVVVEEEEE it!!! I know you will too! Congrats!!!
Old 02-05-12, 12:53 PM   #19
bassinbob

I have the St Croix and love it for all size cranks. It seems to work with cranks from 1/4 to 3/4 pretty good. Good rod to use if you can't take many rods for different size cranks.
Old 02-05-12, 01:04 PM   #20
wallywallace

keith, beleive it was you that recomended it lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.