Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-26-12, 04:41 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Alabama rig braid knot

I've got my A-rig and my 65 lb. braid. I've always used a Palomar knot on braid.

Question:
Do you all use a Palomar on an A-rig or is it too big to bring it through the loop in a Palomar? If you don't use a Palomar on an A-rig, what's a good knot to use?
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 05:04 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do knot know for sure, but I've used the improved clinch knot with braid before, and never had a problem with it coming loose.
Old 01-26-12, 05:13 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I highly recommend the Alabama Slip Knot, saves the effort involved in cranking all that junk back to the boat.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 05:17 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use a modified version of the uni knot. The following is a picture of the uni knot.

For the modification, double the line through the eye of the hook (in step 1). Then for step 2 using mono/FC wrap the line 5-6 times; for braid, use 8-10 wraps.

BB
Old 01-26-12, 06:19 PM   #5
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I use a modified version of the uni knot. The following is a picture of the uni knot.

For the modification, double the line through the eye of the hook (in step 1). Then for step 2 using mono/FC wrap the line 5-6 times; for braid, use 8-10 wraps.

BB
this knot doubled as explained is a knot superior to any others i have used. it works on all types of lines. one thing to remember when using thinner diameters to use more wraps. i actually came up with this knot myself back in the late 60's. never did know if someone had ever tried it, but later on saw it illustrated and called the uni-knot. i am thinking the first time i saw it called the uni-knot was in the early 80's.
anyway, you will find that when tied properly, the knot will hold over 100% of you line test. it will never break in the knot. it will alway break somewhere up the line.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 09:12 PM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

? is braid the best choice for A-rigs?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 09:51 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
I don't have any experience with the Alabama rig but my guess would be yes. Braid will be easier to handle in high lb test which you would want for the Alabama rig and it also would help get good hooksets as well.
Old 01-26-12, 09:58 PM   #8
Dogmatic

What about cast offs, that spool comes to a stop for any reason, wouldn't that rig just sail? I only ask, because it was a warning I got when getting into big swimbaits.
Old 01-26-12, 10:16 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
What about cast offs, that spool comes to a stop for any reason, wouldn't that rig just sail? I only ask, because it was a warning I got when getting into big swimbaits.
I hadn't really thought about that. There are a few things you can do to help keep braid from digging in, or at the very least reduce it. Use a mono line for backing, this made a huge difference for me. Make a long cast and the strip off another 30 feet of line or so and then stick a strip of tape across the spool and then reel over it. They tape will keep the line from digging in so deep, plus it will keep backlashes from going deep into the spool.
Old 01-26-12, 10:22 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
That would be my biggest concern with braid for casting a heavy rig too. I've had it happen to me a few times, it would be sickening to cast off a $25+ rig. Personally, I think I would want a line with a little bit of stretch too. I would probably use 20-25lb mono or copoly, or at least a mono shock leader that would also prevent cast offs.

To answer your question, I think it would be really hard to tie a palomar with that giant rig. I would probably go with the double uni as described earlier or maybe even the Berkley braid knot.

Last edited by Jrob78; 01-26-12 at 10:30 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 11:48 AM   #11
Jigger

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-12, 11:52 AM   #12
Jigger

Quote:

BB
What do you mean "double the line through the eye of the hook"? Run the tag end through the eye twice in step one before proceeding?
Old 01-27-12, 11:56 AM   #13
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
then stick a strip of tape across the spool
What kind of tape?
Old 01-27-12, 01:03 PM   #14
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
What do you mean "double the line through the eye of the hook"? Run the tag end through the eye twice in step one before proceeding?
Exactly....

Quote:
What kind of tape?
I use electrical tape.
Old 01-27-12, 01:36 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
What kind of tape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Exactly....

I use electrical tape.
I don't know if it really matters but I have never heard of anyone using anything other than electrical tape. I would assume that any kind of tape would work as long as you can get it to stick to the line. But duct tape would probably leave a sticky mess on the line when you remove it, and scotch tape might get cut from the line.
Old 01-28-12, 12:50 AM   #16
everettvet

Quote:

Braid is the only way to go. I have 80 pound line.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 10:15 AM   #17
Bob Smith

Quote:

BB
Anthony is spot on with this knot. I have started using this on all my applications! It is amazingly strong, less stressful on the line, and pretty darned easy to tie!
Old 01-29-12, 10:45 AM   #18
merc1997

Quote:
i actually double the line, meaing you will have double line wrapping through your knot, and you will end up with three tag ends to trim.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 10:55 AM   #19
aikenyounggun

Tying the palomar before the rig is all spread out isn't hard, done it once. Hopefully you don't have to re-tie. Probably still could do it easily, but would have a huge tag in. I would use braid no matter what, but do the backing like previously stated.

Last weekend I head "SNAP" and watched my boater's A-rig goin flyin through the air. His mono had got stuck in the reel (much like dogmatic asked about braid) and no way it could of stopped it
Old 01-30-12, 02:22 PM   #20
Dogmatic

Ever think of maybe using a snap-lock, tie your Palomar to it, would be easier than trying to slip a whole A-rig through the loop, plus gives the rod more versatility.
Old 02-08-12, 05:25 AM   #21
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

BB

This is my namesake knot that was used in and won The "Knot Wars" TV show backin 2009. It is called the Fish-N-Fool Knot (after yours truly) and is an excellent knot for all line types up to about 40 lb. mono and any braids. I invented (or should I say modified) this knot many years ago. I'm sure others will claim they also invented it and maybe rightly so, but I am the only one that made it famous. Here is an illustration at Net Knots.com on how to tie my Fish-N-Fool Knot.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fish_n_fool_knot.html

Last edited by Fish-N-Fool; 02-08-12 at 05:43 AM.
Fish-N-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 09:47 PM   #22
TN_Bassin

Instead of tying a polomar knot to the alabama rig... tie it to a strong snap swivel... just a suggestion but this is what i've been doing and i haven't had any problems.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.