Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-12, 10:45 PM   #26
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

^^^^Nope, no reverse on the Hobie. and the Native is surprisingly easy to lift up on it's pivot, but in all honesty, when it comes to yaks, the Hobie is by far the best fishing platform.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 01:25 PM   #27
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think Im gonna do the HF trailer route...I went to price a Thule rack for my Kia,and even with a 10% discount was gonna be over $420! and thats not even including the pads or rack for the load bars. add another 50-80 bucks!

The trailers are on sale right now and they have two with lights for under $200..The bolt hitch and T connector would run me $155ish for my car....So add mods and registration and that should put me on a sweet 2 kayak trailer for less and be less of a pain to load/unload

Trailer looks great Bruce,..I think its a solid route!

Have you played with the 2012 PA seats?.....They're fing sweet!!
Old 08-06-12, 05:00 PM   #28
bassboogieman

I raised my seat about 1.25", it just felt too low. It could go higher but it's fine the way it is now. The seat in the PA12 looks awesome, sits quite a bit higher than the seat in the PA14. Rumor has it that the seat will find it's way into the PA14 in the 2013 model.

I used the Harbor Freight 4'x8' (foldable, but mine won't fold now) trailer with the 12" tires. I did not want 8" tires, 12" suits my highway, probable long distance hauling, needs better. You won't need as large a trailer, I have mine configured to hold 3 kayaks now. Added two pair of J-bars. If you use them you could easily get away with a smaller trailer. I'll take some pics of the new set-up, maybe tomorrow and post them here. Any questions I can help with just PM or email me, glad to help.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 03:21 PM   #29
bassboogieman

Pictures for Walker:

I used treated lumber to add the side rails to mount the J-bars. I also changed a couple cross members to 2" x 6" for a good base for the sides. I think if you are going to use J-bars on your trailer, you could get by with two pieces of 4' x 4" treated lumber mounted about a foot inside the trailer frame. If you do not clear the fenders you could reverse the J-bars or just built up your rails that you will mount them to.

I had to build up my side rails to clear both the fender and MY kayak (most important). I used 6" steel L-brackets I got at Tractor Supply to mount the J-bars on. The L-bracket fits perfect in the slot on the bottom of the base of the J-bars. I used nylock nuts with the bolts - the are a little more difficult and time consuming than the wing-nuts for a theif to remove.

The J-bar base was a perfect match with the 6" L-bracket. I have the L-bracket secured into the wood rail with 5 - 3" lag screws. it's secure!

The side rails are well-braced with L-brackets, and I used eye-bolts as anchor points for the tie-down straps. Check the paddle, I found these rubber clamps to hold my paddle and anchor stake on the other side. The Pro Angler was not set up to carry them on the outside as you do with most kayaks. It just made them easier for me to get to using the clamps.

Only bad thing about the modification - I can carry three kayaks, so guess who drives when my friends and I take them on an excursion.................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 05:45 PM   #30
Jrob78

bump.........
Old 08-07-12, 06:08 PM   #31
WaffleJaw

Bruce that looks great!...I really like how you did the J bars on the L bracket!
Ill have to wait till I move before I can start building one in Oct/Nov.
Not enough room to keep a trailer ...Barely enough for my yak!
Old 08-07-12, 08:48 PM   #32
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bruce, I hadn't gave much thought to kayak fishing which may have to change after seeing these pics. A setup like this would be great for fishing some of the small lakes (especially those with HP limits) around the Springfield MO area. I really like all of the modifications you have done...it seems to make it "yours" if you know what I mean. And kudos on the HF trailer mod...I buy so much stuff there!
Old 08-08-12, 02:26 PM   #33
Jrob78

bump....again
Old 08-17-12, 10:34 AM   #34
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Very nice!
I've wanted one of these (but don't see it happeneing) ever since I saw Hank Parker, if I remember correctly, fishing from one.

They look incredible!
Great job on the trailer as well!
Old 08-17-12, 12:53 PM   #35
Abbeysdad

Looks awesome and your DIY trailer seems great!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.