Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-05, 09:35 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Is 4 lb. Test Big Enough?

Going on a day long fishing trip sometime in the near future. I have a spinning reel with 4lb. Test, is this enough for medium sized largemouth bass? Any tips on what to use for these size bass and line?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:37 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Is 4 lb. Test Big Enough?

You'll probably be ok unless you pull the bass in too fast and "horse" it in.
Most in here wouldn't dare to go under 10lb test
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:43 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

1 question, why use 4lb test?? why not use a 10lb test or braid, so that there is not a chance of the bass comeing off with a hook in its mouth. be practicule(sp) here. also, why the hell are you always going for small to medium sized bass??? and you never know that when you are fishing for your small bass, that a nice 10lb'er is gunna come along and grab it. just do the bass a favor, and switch to a higher lb test, it will save alot of bass. and i do remember you sayiing you bought a new reel and it already had line on it, if this is that reel with that factory sh!t line, CHANGE IT!!!!!!
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 10:56 PM   #4
Kevin_T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin_T

It is enough, but you need two thing to hook and boat a bass...
1.- Good lider of about 8 lb test, thats beacause the bass mouth may cut the 4lb.
2 .- Very good fishing skills, fish away from heavy cover and try to find bass where you will be able to fight him in open water.

The most important is SKILLS.... dont let the fish get in cover and dont try to pull him too hard...
One more thing, if you had never fish for bass, dont try the 4 lb. go for 10 or 12 in a spinning reel.
Kevin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 11:01 PM   #5
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Using 4lb line could pay off in extremely clear water. Otherwise I would use heavier. You will definately get more bites using such light line but you will lose more fish. You are also limited to the lures you can use. For example 4lb line might break during the hookset while using a texas rigged worm. It would also be nearly impossible to bring a bass out of brush or thick grass. I rarely use less than 8lb while bass fishing. But if you do choose to use 4lb have your drag set loose and a net ready.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 11:08 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

like lockjaw said, its only good for visibility, and thats is only in super gin clear water. otherwise, it really doesnt matter. i would actually use braid in super clear water just cause i dont really buy that bull aboutt visibilty. you have to think here, first, there is plenty of stuff floating in the water. the bass might think that the line is a piece of grass, if they even look at the line. which brings me to 2, the lure is to, well just that, lure the bass to it, its not focussing on what is around the bait, they are lookin right at it. and they are so focussed on the bait, that even if they get a glimpse of the line, they wont think much of it other then grass or what not. i have never lost a fish due to line. mostly because i rarely fish clear water, but i have, and have never had a problem.
Old 05-21-05, 12:06 AM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

well if your looking for a fight maybe, but i would still switch to a bigger line just b/c when your out one the water u never no when a big ones gona come along.
Old 05-21-05, 02:38 AM   #8
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Just a suggestion....

15 pound test Power Pro is the same size as as 4 pound mono. Why not make the switch to Power Pro and get a stronger line for the same diameter?
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 04:09 AM   #9
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

Would 100hp in the Brand new VIPER be enough? Didn't think so. If you're wanting castability, go with a thin braid, typically a 2 and 4 lbs test diameter will equal 10 and 20 lbs test line, respectively. Even though hte line is supposed to hold up to its 20 lbs standard, I'd say this line is easily a 45-50 lbs test. I've pulled up monsterous logs, bushes, trees, and even an old huffy. 4 lbs test is more suited for bluegill or small crappie, don't get a big crappie or you're in trouble, but 4lbs test is definately a no no for even small to medium sized bass.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 10:30 AM   #10
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

uhh i use 14 lb. test caus thay tent to run you into the weeds and brush. 4lb test will work if u dont "horse" it in like jb said up there.. have a nice trip
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 12:14 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Try taking light line out once and see how easy you can be in reeling the bass in. The more you practise without breaking off will benefit you later when you get into heavier line, plus for the beginner its a lesson learned on taking your time and "Playing out the fish"

I am sure many of you have seen other anglers fishing for panfish an light line and hook a bass and get it in.
Given, 4 lb is too fragile to count on day in and day out, but I think the average fish up here in the north is 1 - 2 or 3 lb and the line should be able to take it, however
all of us know that we throw that lure n line up against logs, rocks weeds and lots of other objects that end up freying the line weakening it 8)
Old 05-21-05, 12:55 PM   #12
ahlkajflakjj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ahlkajflakjj

hey crappie fisherman use 4 lb test....do the math
ahlkajflakjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 01:06 PM   #13
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I wouldn't go with less than 8lb test. 8)
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 01:35 PM   #14
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

I bass fish with 4lbs. test on my ultra light. And if your going on a fishing trip to a lake than there can be some pretty big fish in there. If your fishing with an ultra light then i think it can only hold about 6lbs test. If you have a medium or medium heavy then i would not put a 4lbs test reel on it. You sould try to go alittle higher, maybe 8lbs or 10lbs test. The reason i fish with only 4lbs test is because i fish a small farm pond and in about 20 years the biggest fish that was caught out of there was 4lbs. Just restring your reel. It wont take to long. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I actually just got back from the pond. I had my UL with me with only the 4 lbs test and did i regret it. I hooked about a 3 pounder and he shot under a fallen tree(3lbs is big to me). When he did that he got off and one of my best and favorite weedles frogs got stuck on a branch in the water. I had to brake the line. I couldnt get it off. If i had 8lbs test or higher and a medium or medium heavy rod, i could of horsed it out but.....oh well. Thats another reason to bring bigger test.

Clay
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 02:04 PM   #15
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

and another thing to keep in mind, just because it is 4 lbs test doesn't mean it will hold a 4 lbs fish, or even a 2 lbs fish, even in open water. Just because the fish only weighs that much doesn't mean he isn't adding force by his own swimming movements, his body position in relation to your pulling direction plays a big factor when considering the added water resistance that a big body has when turned sideways. Its easy for even a 2 lbs fish to break that line.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 02:27 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

nj, that pond probally has good sized fish in it, 5+. most farm ponds are loaded with nice bass. nj, 20lb braid has the diameter of 6lb mono. you can put 20lb braid on the ul, and then not have to worry. 8)
Old 05-21-05, 02:31 PM   #17
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

Thanks alot bf02! I'm goin to buy a medium heavy soon anyway.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 07:51 PM   #18
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Naturally the drag setting is key in getting in a fish with 4lb test
Old 05-21-05, 09:14 PM   #19
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

ok lemme try my hand at this,
Before 6 months or so ago, i only used 4lb test or lighter. I was seriuos about ultra light fishing. IMO, you cant beat it for fun. I could multiple 3 lbers 3.5 lbs being the biggest(on ul equipment). I have a huge collection of ul lures, that my dad and I both use. For the fight, you need to learn about not depending on the drag, but on you(im talking about backreelin). I have had bass get hung up in weeds, and the fish probably weighed 10lbs or so with the weeds on it, well i got her in! a nice 2.5 lber on UL gear. And through the weeds to boot! Also, this braided line is very good, but i believe that it takes the fun out of it for the serious micro lite fisherman! Anyways if you plan on using an UL i would switch your line every 5-8 days of "hard" usage.

-nick
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 03:05 AM   #20
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason

hell no. finesse fishing with bass at lest 10 lb.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 07:30 AM   #21
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

What's the worst thing that will happen? Â*A fish will get away. Â*Big deal. Â*Use it if you want to.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 04:57 PM   #22
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

10 pound is as light as i will go.yeah you can loosen the drag but when that fishheads for cover or weeds you won't turn him and that's the end!!!also,the quicker you land a bass the less lactic acid buildup occurs in it's body there by increasing it's chance of survival.playing fish to long builds up more lactic acid and is not good for them.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 04:59 PM   #23
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=news;num=1116635759;start=0#20 date=05/22/05 at 06:30:39]What's the worst thing that will happen? Â*A fish will get away. Â*Big deal. Â*Use it if you want to.[/quote]
now that bass will have a hook in its mouth, and with todays hooks, it wont corrode out for years. depending on where the bass was hooked, that hook will kill the bass. better to be safe then sorry, and to help save a bass. but yes nj, do what you want.
Old 05-22-05, 05:17 PM   #24
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

from what I've read, you can land the fish and release him earlier with heavier line....if you play a fish too long, it's extremely rough on them.....your survival rate after release will probably increase greatly with 8 pound test or more.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 08:22 PM   #25
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=dodgeguy link=board=news;num=1116635759;start=0#21 date=05/22/05 at 15:57:29]10 pound is as light as i will go.yeah you can loosen the drag but when that fishheads for cover or weeds you won't turn him and that's the end!!!also,the quicker you land a bass the less lactic acid buildup occurs in it's body there by increasing it's chance of survival.playing fish to long builds up more lactic acid and is not good for them.[/quote]

I love a guy who pays attention. I have harped on this subject way too often. If you want to CATCH AND RELEASE, then it shouldn't even be a disussion. Even if you plan on eating it, it could actually be dead before you get it to the cleaning place. If you want to crappie fish or pan fish, fine use the 4lb stuff. If you want to bass fish, then get the equipment that will do the job. Of course you can land a 6lb bass on UL equipment line and rod. But whats it gonna do to the fish duiring that fight? Probably kill it, and then you won't ever let it get bigger to catch when it's seven pounds. I want fish to the boat, as quickly as possible. I don't want them hung up in weeds with a hook in its mouth. However it is a FREE country so if you want to kill fish, go ahead and use the 4lb line. By the way if you are talking mono, what the price difference between 4lb test and 12 lb test? Pennies if any. The same goes for Fused or braided lines, until you get above the 50lb mark. OK that's it for the soap box.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.