Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-18-11, 08:41 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Shakey Head - Drop Shot - Senko

Three Techniques, Three Questions

#1. Which technique do you prefer?

#2. Are there specific times of the year that each have their shining moments?

#3. Name the Circumstance in which you would use each one over the other? ie... I'd use a Texas Rigged Senko in a Farm Pond over a Drop Shot.

Thank you, I'll hang up and take your answer off the air...
Old 08-18-11, 09:07 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1. I use all four, depending on what I am fishing. I say four because I would classify fishing a Senko on a wacky rig (or weightless) in a different way than on a weighted Texas rig.

I mostly use the drop shot for less weedy areas and it works best when fish are not feeding directly on the bottom. This puts the bait right in their face, depending on the length of the dropper.

I use a wacky rig normally in more shallow water around cover. Tossing it near docks, pads, holes in the weeds, etc. I use the weightless T-rig the same way but lean more towards this if I am getting fouled up with weeds and stuff with the wacky rig.

The drop shot is great in more open water with scattered or no weeds. It fouls up pretty bad in heavy weeds. In shallow water I'll go with a short dropper (6") and a 1/16 oz. weight. In deeper water I'll go up to 1/4 or 3/8 oz and vary the length of the dropper. I normally drag it slowly or let it sit. In heavy river current or really deep water you can go up to 1/2 oz.

The shaky head is good almost anywhere. I change the weight depending on the depth but I usually use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz so it has a slow fall and sits on top or any weeds.

The weighted Texas rigged Senko is also good about anywhere but you can pull it through pretty heavy weeds very well. I need to use this more often around here because I think a lot of the fish are buried down in the heavy stuff right now. You can vary the weight according to water depth or if you want it to go along the tops of the weeds or dig right down in them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:24 PM   #3
DVT Mike

I don't usually use senkos with a bullet weight due to their lack of durability. Also the senkos key attribute is the slow fall. There are just too many other plastics that will work on a weighted rig. Other than that I'd agree with Bender.
Old 08-19-11, 08:04 AM   #4
Bender

You are right Mike, for that it is hard to beat a regular old 7" Power Worm or something similar. I have done better with a weighted T-rig that has a worm with a curly tail but that could be because I haven't really tried any straight tail ones rigged that way. Same thing in that I only seem to throw straight tail worms on a shaky head. Maybe I should try changing it up and see what happens.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 12:07 PM   #5
Garry2rs

My #1 technique is a wacky-rigged senko type worm.
I use an open hook and fish water up to about 15ft deep weightless.
I cast, flip and pitch it around all types of cover, as long as the weeds aren't too heavy.
In weed beds or when the weeds get thick, I either use a weedless hook, or rig the worm the long way round, weightless in the Texas style.

Favourite technique #2 is a solid body toad/frog over heavy cover. I fish a lot of bays filled with small Maiden pads (aka Dollar pads) where I like to fish these baits fast, like a buzzbait. These have pretty well replaced hollow frogs and Fluke type baits for me. There are Pike and Musky in my waters and the toads are more durable and cheaper to replace.

Number three on my list is either a square bill or Rattle-trap type crankbait in clear water, around wood, rocks/docks etc. I used to use spinnerbaits, in these spots, but these two go the same places and currently I prefer them.

Drop-shot, shaky-head and jigs are quicker ways to get to the bottom, but in the shallow, super clear water that I fish, you need to stay well back from cover, or go deep.
I seldom fish deep enough to be bothered rigging up these other techniques.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 08:11 PM   #6
lilmule

I use hand poured senkos so dont care about durability,yet fish them unweighted often wacky rigged small circle hook,for same reason many use the shakey head for suspended fish ,drop shot to me is for clear water like deep spot fishing,so seldom use it.
10 in ribbontail worm for t rig,bushogs for crig.
90 pecent of the year I can touch bottom with my rod,50 percent of the time im still to deep.
Fully 80 percent of the ledge fishermen are fishing the hump not the drop,150 percent will argue thats a ledge all day long as its surrounded by deep water,yet fishing in 4 ft,just sitting in 45.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 12:28 AM   #7
Scott the fishman

i never really drop shot just dont work for me. i use shaky heads in tournaments in the begins but when i need atleast one fish in the boat senko for me
Old 09-03-11, 09:47 AM   #8
Bob Smith

Shakey Head-This has pretty much become a standard presentation for me, just about everywhere. The presentation is so effective. I started out using it as a presentation on "pressured" waters and in rocky environments and it shines very well in those circumstances, but it's also just an all around good presentation.
Drop Shot-I use it around grass, or when the fish are deep and suspended primarily. around grass I can get the bait above the thick stuff while being able to "feel" bottom contact and have something to relate to. When fish are suspended over deep water, I used to use a jigging spoon and still do from time to time, but drop shot has become that precise vertical presentation that works even better because you can suspend you bait in the zone and the natural movement of the worm in the water tends to attract the bites far more effectively.
Senko-I still like Senko (and other brands of this style) rigged wacky and weightless. I usually alternate between the Wacky rigged baits and Super Fluke style baits (including the GrandeBass Flash) in and around wood and grass. I prefer slightly stained water or water that may be stirred up a bit when using these presentations.
Old 01-31-12, 01:00 PM   #9
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

What kind of hooks would you guys use the Whacky rig with?
Old 01-31-12, 02:07 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by olboy4 View Post
What kind of hooks would you guys use the Whacky rig with?
Try to match the hook size to the bait your hooking..1 or 1/0 are the most common. Drop shot style hooks are my fav. But all seriousness aside I would recommend....a sharp hook....with a barb....and a loop at the top to tie your line to.
Old 01-31-12, 07:08 PM   #11
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks kennethdaysale. I will turn the brain back on before I type next time. lol
Old 01-31-12, 09:43 PM   #12
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Mostly wacky rigged with a circle or octopus hook.
I do plan on taking up drop shotting this season though
Old 02-01-12, 09:36 PM   #13
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I use them all, but my favorite is the shakey head. It is so versatile and catches fish 365 days a year. I also use the senko a lot, especially on shallow fish and when fishing docks. I don't use drop shots very much because I believe other finesse techniques work better most of the time. Also the line twist drives me crazy and it's not very weedless, even when texas rigged.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.