Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-18-12, 08:50 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spring+Wind= ?

Hey guys around here (and there too I'm sure) spring means wind. For you boaters what technique is your favorite and most productive way to beat and or use the wind. Personally I have learned to love a windy day (within reason). One of my favorites is to lob out a BIG topwater rapala type plug on a Heavy C-rig and let the wind take me on the longest ride over the most like;ly structure I can find.
Old 02-18-12, 09:40 PM   #2
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In the spring when it is windy I usually throw a spinnerbait or crankbait. Well I usually throw them this time of year anyway but I avoid slow presentations because feeling the bite is really difficult.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 09:57 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If the water is still cold (40's to mid 50's) I throw a jerkbait, Wiggle Wart, or slow roll a spinnerbait in the wind. Once the water gets above the mid 50's I start burning spinnerbaits and throw squarebill crankbaits.
Old 02-18-12, 09:58 PM   #4
Tavery5

KS is always windy, you learn to adapt to it.
Old 02-18-12, 10:03 PM   #5
MIbasser

In the spring with wind I'll have a trap tied on.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 11:48 PM   #6
james86

Spinnerbait for me. Even though it's rarely successful where I fish.
Old 02-19-12, 12:32 AM   #7
keithdog

I love fishing in the wind but hate the boat control. Since I'm in a small 12 foot jon, windy days can be tough. I either constantly using the trolling motor to hold my possition or using an anchor. If I'm lucky, I can use the wind to drift me along the areas I want to work. Usually I'm fishing close to the bank and shallow weedbeds nearby. If the water is below 50 degrees, I'll usually be throwing a jerk bait, a jig, chatterbait, or lipless crank. Once the water climbs above 50 degrees, I'm pitching a t rigged beaver up near the bank, or working a spinnerbait or shallow crankbait around shallow cover. My summer pattern is similar with a few additions. But for spring, that about covers it. I definately prefer to work the wind blown shallow flats and shorelines as long as I can control the boat. Once I get out of the wind, the success rates drops off fast.
Old 02-19-12, 12:21 PM   #8
Rebbasser

My favorite technique is to throw a deep running crank up shallow and make it really dig into the bottom or a lipless bait thrown parallel to the bank the wind is blowing into. If there is a mudline so much the better.

Boat control can be a problem, but worth the effort.
Old 02-19-12, 12:35 PM   #9
lilmule

I use a hand control troller,with foot on off switches,and a very long handle.can merely tap on and off and stay in place with rocks 20-40 ft away with the wind trying to blow me on them while riding the breakers,not hard at all.With very lil input needed other than occasional turn of handle or foot movement.I have a replaced knee and cant have my foot cocked for long and have you ever tried standing in 3 ft rollers with it so,have a very long shaft like 50in and it graps air every few swells,ky lake can launch one if not paying att.
Toss what ever theys a biting or trying to so not any one particular bait.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 08:36 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Spinnerbaits are my mainstay like 50% of the time as it is. On windy days, I concentrate on spinnerbaits and Jitterbugs
Old 02-19-12, 08:43 PM   #11
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Spinnerbaits are my mainstay like 50% of the time as it is. On windy days, I concentrate on spinnerbaits and Jitterbugs
Judging by-- Nat'l sales figures--chatter on this and other bigger boards, spinnerbaits have fallen out of favor. Amazing......the fish around here still smash um and crash um as good as ever. I too love a SB in gale force winds.....or a gentle breeze.....or when the water is glass
Old 02-19-12, 08:55 PM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Judging by-- Nat'l sales figures--chatter on this and other bigger boards, spinnerbaits have fallen out of favor. Amazing......the fish around here still smash um and crash um as good as ever. I too love a SB in gale force winds.....or a gentle breeze.....or when the water is glass

Scandalous! They'll never fall out of favor with me. Especially when it only costs me about 2 bucks to make em
I throw spinnerbaits SO MUCH, I started throwing em on pads last year, since the hook up ratio is so much better than frogs.
The only downside I've ever found is that Pike love them too
Old 02-25-12, 05:22 PM   #13
Lvitch

Buy a wind sock / drift anchor and fish it like you normally wood. Best thing 90% or better bassers
don't have in their boat
Old 02-25-12, 08:58 PM   #14
MallenManson

Spinnerbait
Spinnerbait
Spinnerbait
Lipless
Spinnerbait.......................
Old 03-06-12, 08:00 PM   #15
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys must hate me I don't have a single spinnerbait in my box! I haven't thrown one for three years now. They just aren't effective on the bodies of water I fish.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 08:51 PM   #16
SaminVa

I like the wind.. I throw lots of Red eyed shads, rattletraps, spinnerbaits & flat A's on the windblown banks & in windblown coves. like said above, if there is a mud line I'll fish that in a heartbeat.. Actually I caught a 3.5# doing this on Sunday fishing a red rattletrap(bass pro model) don't remember what the name is..
I have also fished blade baits letting the wind blow the boat, cast into the wind and fish them off the bottom... One of my son's trophy fish last year in Feb. came just this way.
Old 03-06-12, 09:24 PM   #17
nofearengineer

I did this a bit last year while fishing Rend Lake, and it works GREAT. I will spot lock my trolling motor off a windblown shoreline; I look for rip rap or weeds...both is even better. This makes the nose of the boat point into the wind, while I go to the back of the boat and throw a trap a country mile with the wind towards the bank. It works great with spinnerbaits too.
Old 03-06-12, 11:09 PM   #18
basstech

I'll pretty much throw anything and the same things I normally throw (except for weightless plasstics) untill the wind is in the 20 mile an hour or faster, then I omit rogues and buzz baits most cranks I can throw fine in wind except killer b1's and 2's. The other adjustment I make is usually more weight with jigs and t-rigs, or what ever other soft-plastic rig I'm throwing.
Old 03-06-12, 11:12 PM   #19
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by finessefishin View Post
You guys must hate me I don't have a single spinnerbait in my box! I haven't thrown one for three years now. They just aren't effective on the bodies of water I fish.
Nobody's hatin here but if you'll be honest with yourself.....the real reason you don't catch fish on a spinnerbait (other than the fact you don't own one) probably has less to do with your local bass' preferences and more to do with something from your childhood...some deep repressed feelings of spinnerbait anxiety perhaps.............
Old 03-07-12, 08:21 AM   #20
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Nobody's hatin here but if you'll be honest with yourself.....the real reason you don't catch fish on a spinnerbait (other than the fact you don't own one) probably has less to do with your local bass' preferences and more to do with something from your childhood...some deep repressed feelings of spinnerbait anxiety perhaps.............
Yes that and the fact that all the lakes around me are heavily pressured, less than 1500 acres, and all clear to stained water. Maybe power fishing is your thing but I've never been as good at it or liked it as much as fishing slower soft plastics and jigs.
Old 03-07-12, 08:37 AM   #21
lilmule

Buy a pink one -pink in the pads and under bridges.

All jokes aside to me its harder to worm or jig when windy than to toss active baits short distances.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.