Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-28-12, 11:56 AM   #1
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default type of weed guard on jigs

Just curious what you guys think of this video. I have been using the traditional fiber weed guards that I trim down at an angle. I feel like I have a very high hook up ratio with them. I get more line breaks on hook sets than fish throwing a jig out-I use palomor knot with InvisX fluoro, planning on using a different brand fluoro this year though. I did miss a big smallie last summer that I had hooked for about 5 seconds that threw the jig and I'm still sick over that one to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhCQH...e_gdata_player
Old 02-28-12, 02:21 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't comment on this specific jig because I have never used it. There are several members on here that love that jig though. I always trim my weedguards down a little on my jigs and it seems to help my hook up ratio. As for the line breaking on hooksets, I can almost promise you that the line isn't the reason your having breaking issues. The palomar knot is a good knot but it is pretty easy to break if it isn't tied 100% perfect. I absolutley love Seaguar flourocarbon lines and I had a lot of knot failure issues in the past when I was using techniques that had hard hooksets. I went to the San Diego Jam Knot and have had no problem at all since.
Old 02-28-12, 07:30 PM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

They worked for me.
Check here.
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ght=Alpha+Jigs

There are others but this is a nice start.
Old 02-28-12, 07:59 PM   #4
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow, there has already been quite a big debate on those jigs. I guess I'd like to ask about fiber weed guards, do most of you use them and do you think there is a big disadvantage with them? I'd say 90% of my jigs are fiber weed guard, I do use some hair jigs that have a single wire guard. Both seem to catch fish, and don't see a big disadvantage either way.
Old 02-28-12, 09:23 PM   #5
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I get the theory behind them, but I'm wondering would a person fishing them in hevy brush get more, fewer, or the same amount of hangups as one does with the conventoinal fiber weed gaurd.
Even though the concept is sound, and I'm not going to dispute the results the Alpha jig got in the demonstration, But (and you know someone is going to say "but"), the other jigs he was demonstrating looked like they were straight out of the package. For my self, I can't remember the last time a fish came unbuttoned on a jig and as for the few fish I've missed on a hookset, It has (as far as I can remeber) alsways been due to my mechanics either being out of position, or just poor hooksetting procedure. Most fish I catch on jig are hooked solidly in the roof or upper lip. sometimes in the side of the upper lip. Hooking a bass in the ideal part of the mouth is less reliable with Texas Rigged soft plastics than a jig> at least for me it is..
Old 03-15-12, 12:15 AM   #6
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't ever keep your weedguards on a std jig together like that. Their put that way for shipping / packaging only. Always flair them like a V . If your leaving them together your just losing jigs and fish. I don't trim them personally, the shorter the weedguard the stiffer they . The shorter the weedguard the stiffer they become, and the better chance you'll loose them when they flip on their side. There's some marketing hype there too, but don't rig your jigs like a noob and you'll do much better.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.