Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-10-12, 01:36 AM   #1
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Arrow Fall Rates and Water Temps

Just wondering if anyone is into the fall rates of baits and water temps fast sink slow sink in cold and warmer water temps?
Old 03-11-12, 09:21 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only thing I think I know about this subject is that water gets denser as it gets colder. So the theory is that suspending jerkbait type lures will "hold" at depth for longer in colder water. However the coldest water I've ever measured in my life is 41 so I'm not the best resource.
Old 03-11-12, 10:39 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not sure temperature differential is significant enough to worry about if you're talking the difference of an identical bait's fall rate as affected only by temperature. Adding weight, or using a different brand of bait will affect RoF more dramatically that it may be the difference in making a fish bite.

Another factor, I'm not cnvinced really affects ROF significantly enough to be the difference in a fish biting or not, is the line used. Possibly, when throwing an unweighted finesse worm, mono may cause a bait to sink slower than with flurocarbon, but again is the differential significant enough to cause a strike? So many factors enter in, I'm not sure how many are significant other than the baits composition/weight or the addition of weight.

Specifically relating to the differece in RoF between similiar (unwiehted) baits of different brands - the higher the salt content will cause them to sink faster. Yamamoto baits are very high in salt (in additon to another ingridient) and they sink faster than, say a similiar BPS brand. Other "tricks" used by custom plastic guys can also affect fall rate, even cause them to float.

I don't doubt that water temperature will affect the ROF of an unweighted plastic, but don't believe it would, significantly enough, to be the deciding factor in causing a fish to bite. Significant factors would be salt content or adding additional weight.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-11-12 at 10:48 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 07:34 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Generally speaking I want a bait to fall slower in cold water and faster in warmer water. For an example, in cold water I will usually use a jig that is at least one size lighter than I would use in the same situation if the water was warm. This serves two purposes, first of all the slower fall rate will typically get you more bites in colder water, but it also forces me to fish the jig a lot slower to keep bottom contact. But don't over-think it, there are no absolutes in fishing and sometimes you will need a faster fall rate to get a reaction bite, even in cold water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.