Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-29-05, 12:16 AM   #1
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Baitcasting help

Ok, here is the situation. Right now I am using a spinning reel and would like to buy and learn how to use a baitcaster. The only problem is that I have no one to teach me. Any suggestions or websites I could go to with step by step instructions? And also, what would be a good beginning baitcaster for me?

Thanks a alot,

Park
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 12:51 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There are several good baitcasters out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg-my advice would be togo pick up a few and see which one feels right to you. As far as learning, this is probably the best site I have seen as far as setting it up and getting you ready to go:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm
Old 07-29-05, 03:07 AM   #3
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Get a Shakespeare AXION....was my first bait caster, came with instructions that described it well and only cost 30 bucks at WalMart. Crank that newbie brake up to 10 and cast fluently...no guerilla casting with these reels. Almost like your tossing an egg...let the rod give your lure the most of its' momentum. I had mine on a 7' pole just to make it that much easier. Practice is the only thing that will allow you to use one of these things. Watching some one use one may help too, try stalking your local lakes for bait casting people and watch their form.
Cuban_Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 03:41 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reb has steered you in the right direction with that link. I had to learn solo too so study that site's instructions and practice a lot.

The adage "It's all in the thumb" is oh so true. It is the only appendage that is between you and a bird's nest. A bird's nest occurs when there is a great difference between the speed of your lure and the speed the spool is spinning in which the spool's speed is higher than that of the lure. These situations occur most frequently when:

1) You are casting into a strong wind. The wind slows your lure but the spool is still spinning fast. Solution: learn to cast lower
2) When your lure hits the water or other object such that its speed comes to a dead stop (or slows considerably relative to the spool's speed) and your spool is still spinning, giving out line. Solution: Learn to stop the spool with your thumb right before your lure hits the water or other object like a shrub or even the ground when you are practicing in your yard. This nest is what gets most beginners especially if they are coming from spinning background (like me). Also, the moment you think you're going to nest, stop the spool cold! Don't stare at it like a deer staring into the headlights! (I'm speaking from personal experience).
3) Trying to make hard and fast casts. Solution: slow down. you will learn and be amazed at how little effort it takes to make a good quality cast and a long one if need be with but a flick of the wrist.

Since you say you are coming from a spinning background, the release of your thumb from the spool during the cast seems (to me) to be a bit earlier than that of the release of the line with your forefinger on the rod with a spinning reel. You will prove my point if your first cast with your baitcaster slams straight into the ground right in front of you. It will mean your thumb let go too late. hee hee!

Anyway, good luck and don't give up.

Hope that helps! It's all in the thumb!
Old 07-29-05, 08:07 AM   #5
PowerBass

If you wanted to buy a good caster, It is the Rhino RBC300. It has 10 magnetic brake settings, and has a nice line capacity. Spool it with 15 lb Big Game and your good to go.
Old 07-29-05, 12:33 PM   #6
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, I think I might head to Wal-Mart later and check things out. If I had a bass pro near I would go there, but I don't.
Old 07-29-05, 06:41 PM   #7
zooker

i will state this park you are not alone... pnj can confurm this but if i put a flyer in a store in say naples ny stating.baitcaster lessons 20 bucks each. i could make a killing.

pnj

now you know why i am coming to visit you in late june...

zooker
Old 07-30-05, 03:29 PM   #8
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

I have finally met the bird nest lol. Not as bad as I thought it would be but I got a few pretty bad ones. I got a Shakespeare Axiom like Cuban Cigar said, and I got a 6 ft. Shakespeare Excursion rod. I dunno how good of a set up it is but I'd say its just perfect for a baitcasting beginner like me. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-30-05, 03:37 PM   #9
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i used to only use spinning reels because i was afraid of birdsnests all the time. but now i can hardly throw a spinning reel any more. i use baitcasters all the time unless im trying to skip the lure under brush.
Old 07-30-05, 03:44 PM   #10
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
i will state this park you are not alone... pnj can confurm this but if i put a flyer in a store in say naples ny stating.baitcaster lessons 20 bucks each. i could make a killing.

pnj

now you know why i am coming to visit you in late june...

zooker
And now I know why too. He sent you $20 bucks so you'd come up and teach him to throw.

Take it easy on him Zooker
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 05:09 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Park, here is another suggestion: Make a long cast, pull off a little more line, then put a piece of tape over your spool and wind the line back on. That way, when you get a backlash it will only go as deep as the tape.
Old 07-30-05, 06:32 PM   #12
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

Good idea, I'll try it. Thanks Reb.
Old 07-31-05, 01:18 PM   #13
BigDawgz
BassFishin.Com Member

Another good beginner-to-intermediate baitcast combo can be had at wal-mart for $65 bucks.....and I think it's a very nice set-up. It's the Quantum TG (tournament grade) combo. It comes with a 4 bearing Quantum TG400CX reel and a very nice rod TGC66MH that is 6'6" med/hvy.....it's an IM8 rod with a "thru-blank" section under the reel seat. I have several of these on my boat always....and they are very nice for the money. I think it's the best combo for anywhere close to the price. I string them up with 12lb lo-vis green Stren mono.

I've fished with many $100 reels on $60 - $100 rods that didn't impress me anymore than this combo does. I believe that this rod fishes as well as any of my Bass Pro IM8 Bionic blades or their IM7 series that I have. The reel has a magnetic braking system that's externally adjustable and very easy to set-up.

If you're looking for one that you can start out with and keep as your skills grow ..... I think this combo does the trick. If you're looking for them at Wally World (the only place I've ever found them).....the reel is a bluish-gray / or a greenish-gray and the rod is black with blue guide wraps on it.

Aron
BigDawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-05, 04:10 PM   #14
JB

If you backlash next time dont try to cast as hard, or tweek the brake a tad and line drop to slow down the spool from spinning.

Usually you can spot the loop that caused the birdnest and is keeping the line from peeling out, take that loop and pull it out, then try to pull line out to untangle the mess..it takes some practise
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-05, 05:06 PM   #15
zooker

bait caster and backlash go hand in hand. kinda like peanut butter and jelly.

il yeah right take it easy my butt. the boy needs a lesson in power fishing in case you for got his trolling moter has never been wet. he pulls up and anchors down-just like a yankee-then starts casting AT a log in the west river. did he not claim he fell out of the boat while putting the anchor down?

come now il this IS pnj he might figure out that zebco 202 some day but it still eluds him. i have to admitt he is pretty good with that cane pole as long as he is using crickets....lmao

zooker
Old 05-29-09, 12:28 AM   #16
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

good thread.. thought I would bump it.
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 12:37 AM   #17
nofearengineer

Dick's has an Abu-Garcia Silver Max combo with a 6'6" Lightning Rod right now for 70 bucks, with a $20 mail-in rebate. You can almost always find a $10 off $50 purchase coupon for Dicks too...bringing it down to $40 total.
Old 05-29-09, 07:31 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Here's an little, well I guess it's an article, that I wrote and put up on my forum

http://cflforum.forummotion.com/new-...r-reel-t12.htm

I would have just put it on here, but it's a pain getting all the pictures in the right place and everything.

BB
Old 05-29-09, 06:08 PM   #19
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the insight, I finally broke down and purchased a baitcaster. So hopefully I can get away from the spinning reel.
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 08:05 AM   #20
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

And you said you didn't have anyone to teach you. I love my BC, it's worth the trouble learning how to use them. Take the hooks off a old crank and practice in your yard. I used to put hola-hoops down to practice flipping. Have fun and use cheap line at first
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 03:34 PM   #21
fishwhisperer09
BassFishin.Com Member

I, too, have not been fishing a BC for very long, maybe 6 or 7 months. I was scared to use them due to backlash. I had a shimano BC I got from a pawn shop that the brakes didn't work, and learned on it (bad idea, I know) but I got pretty good with it, then for Christmas, my folks bought me 2 Pflueger President baitcast combos, both on BPS tournament series rods. I've gotten now to where in a day, in about 400-500 casts, I might backlash twice. So even if you backlash alot at first, stick with it because you'll get good with it eventually. Good luck and happy fishing!

Last edited by fishwhisperer09; 05-31-09 at 03:40 PM. Reason: did not finish typing it
fishwhisperer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 04:53 PM   #22
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Everyone no matter how long they've been using them gets a backlash.
After awhile they're not so difficult to get out check out this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc
Also its easy to use a quality reel rather than a cheap one.
Good luck and tight lines
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 08:37 PM   #23
MississippiBoy

Welcome to the site, bonsai. That's a good video, it's helped me a lot.

By the way, that goofy-looking guy in that video is Kevin, the owner/administrator of this site.
Old 05-31-09, 09:01 PM   #24
bamabassman

ssippiboy.........you gonna make kevin get all red from embarrassment, lmao.
Old 05-31-09, 11:35 PM   #25
nofearengineer

Holy crap...that is a cool video. I never knew you could do that. I've got a nasty backlash on a reel out in my boat I'm gonna have to try it on tomorrow after work. Here's hoping.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.