Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-06, 09:52 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Fish attractant scents

While at work yesterday, I was thinking about fishing scents that you apply to your lures. Yeah, I know what your thinking but hey, it was friday! Anyways, I was remembering back when I was a boy the scent that was the only scent used was Licorice. Anyone older than 45 who used DeLong worms knows exactly what I'm talking about. And that scent seemed to work very well. I wonder why you never see it used now days? I remember using it on my baits as a kid by taking a bottle of Licorice and some vegetable oil and mixing the two together and dipping my baits into it. It was messy, but back then we didn't have the fancy stuff available today. So I was currious if anyone still uses this scent? And another thing I want to add here. I don't use a scent on any of my reaction type baits like spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I really see no need. Rather, I only use them on my jigs and plastics. Baits that the bass is gonna get close to and eyeball before engolfing the lure. And thats only on days when the bite is tough. But I was thinking about taking my plastic baits which I keep in their original zip lock bags and adding some scent to them ahead of time while stored in the bags, mixing it well with the baits so they have plenty of time to absorbe the scent before they ever come out of the bag. What'aya think about that?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 10:32 AM   #2
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The thing is now a days people like the chemically engineered stuff, I really don't have to use it up here cause the water is so clear where I fish. But people believe what the pros say is Gospel.I could be a pro and say puking on your baits work, people would try it. If you know something works stick to your guns. But like some one else said try using Vaseline with you sauce it helps stick it to the bait better.How about getting a old blender and grinding up craw dads and minnows in fish oil? be too much of a bother I guess Lil. If you think you need it to step up your game so be it. but I would only use it my self in only really muddy water.
Old 08-26-06, 12:25 PM   #3
keithdog

Your absolutely right Rob. If the pros say it is so, then everyone rushes to follow suit. And I think even though the pros have many more hours of on water experience, they also are supported by manufaturers who sponcer them and therefore also have to be salesman as well. Thats why I am so skepticle when reading about a pros recommendation about anything. I'd rather talk to every day guys like we have in here who are not swayed by sponsership. For the most part, I don't use an attractant and it hasn't really shown to be a problem. But I can see where certain situations could benefit from an attractant. The onces I use seem messy and can make a mess in the boat if you slip up. Plus it seems like so many are needing reapplication after a few casts. Thats why I am thinking about doucing my baits while stored in their bags so the scent can have days to be absorbed and perhaps last much longer when in use in the water. Still wonder what happened to licorice, lol. Was the best smelling attractant I've used, LOL.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 12:45 PM   #4
ROBZILLA

Tr to use a spray bottle might have to thin it out with oil, but you can hold your bait up and give it a good coat without getting messy.
Old 08-26-06, 04:26 PM   #5
Vabass22

I wouldnt do that, especially with gulp, if you use it, as it can get extremely messy. I would reccomend a prescented bait like powerbait. And wave worms uses molopo scent, which has a licorice smell to it.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 06:47 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Keith-licorice scent is still used-they call it anise or anise/shad now. Although Flyrod and I have a different term for it .
Old 08-26-06, 07:43 PM   #7
zooker

reb
proctoliugst formula?for anel retentive bass...

zooker
Old 08-26-06, 09:49 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Oil of Anus or squeeze some shad anus. Leave it to Flyrod to come up with that.
Old 08-26-06, 09:53 PM   #9
JB

HOLY MOLY REB~!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 11:48 AM   #10
crankybait

try hawg sauce. It's great stuff.

cbshawgsauce.com

Or go to fishinfanatics and buy it from there... 50 cents goes to FF. and they have a link to where you can save a buck 50.
Old 08-28-06, 01:03 PM   #11
bassnman30

Have used Smelly jelly in the bottle and put in my worm bag. Seems to make these baits really sloppy and smell really good (yea right).
Have caught alot of bass by using this technique.
Leave it for a couple days.
Old 09-05-06, 07:23 AM   #12
pig n jig

I use Smelly Jelly scent on jigs. I generally use the paste instead of the sticky liquid, but the paste needs to be kept cool, or it turns to a liquid.I do add sticky liquid to the paste to strengthen the stinky scent in the mix.It does stink pretty bad, Bass feast stench will literally make you dry heave some mornings out on the water, but it catches fish.As I said, I cannot stomache the Bass Feast smell real well, Craw Daddy and Bass Hammer scents are what I primarily use, but make no mistake, they all stink pretty bad.Kick N' Bass scent is another brand I use, but I like the smelly Jelly paste for jigs .P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 07:28 AM   #13
pig n jig

Fish Formula still makes the licorice scent.I strictly use that on my flutter spoons for Lake Trout fishing.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 09:37 AM   #14
WarEagle
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't use scent because of the pros. I use scent because I believe it helps me catch more fish, just from trial and error.

The 2 major reasons that I feel scent is necessary for me... 1.) I chew almost constantly while on the water. And I like to have something to "cover" that. 2.) I truly believe that a scent/attractant provides a second or so more of reaction time when you get a bite. If you throw a lot of topwaters, or finesse worms, and I do one or the other about 80% of the time, then a second can make a huge difference in your hook up rate. Instead of yanking that buzzbait/popper/frog and missing, I have the confidence that if I let them have a little longer, they won't spit the lure as quick, and then I can slam them.

I switched to CB's Hawg Sauce a while back. I have been very impressed. I was able to take a prototype of the new Gel to Canada with me, and although it produced with the same great results as the original, the gel works great on hard baits, where a spray just slides off. And I think there is a lot less waste with the gel. I will still use the oil based when fishing plastics, and most certainly will not go away from the Spike-It dye infused with Hawg Sauce.

I am of the opinion that a positive attitude can greatly influence your success on the water, so whatever you can do to boost your confidence, do it. It may be a favorite lure, or a favorite spot, whatever.

WAR
Old 09-05-06, 06:15 PM   #15
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BluezSpot
Cool Try Ultra Bite

Hey went out and bought some Ultra bite for Black Bass and the stuff worked great. I looked for hawg juice but they don't have it in my region. But after tring Ultrabite this weekend forget it. I am dedicated to the stuff. I will use it on all trips. Give it a try you may like it.
Old 09-05-06, 06:27 PM   #16
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I smoke, and think that any scent other than that is great. I don't think fish know what they are tasing, but they are tasting something instead of tobacco, so that's the key.
Find whatever's on sale, and spray away
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 12:44 AM   #17
flfireman

I'll save Tom the trouble- WD-40!!!!
Old 09-11-06, 10:01 AM   #18
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BluezSpot
Cool Bass Pro Shop Grand Opening

Hey guys,
This weekend did some investigating and found out the Bass Pro Shop in San Antonio will be open October 19, 2006 They say there should be some door prizes and seminars. Not sure how much this helps you, but hey I'm taking the day off just to check it out and see what they have to offer. Thought I would let ya'll know incase someone else was as excited as I was for the opening day.
Old 09-11-06, 06:25 PM   #19
zooker

blueboy
when bps opened in charlette i did not go there for a whole month the crowd had to thinout first.. they get mobbed with poeple when they first open. it was like 10 deep in the eletronics desk.. now i hit bps first thing on any morning. no waiting lots of friendly sale staff -if your the first 5 customers they deal with- chances are some one aint pissed them off YET! today..

zooker
Old 09-11-06, 06:56 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluezSpot View Post
Hey guys,
This weekend did some investigating and found out the Bass Pro Shop in San Antonio will be open October 19, 2006 They say there should be some door prizes and seminars. Not sure how much this helps you, but hey I'm taking the day off just to check it out and see what they have to offer. Thought I would let ya'll know incase someone else was as excited as I was for the opening day.
I'm looking forward to that with mixed emotions-like you, I'm excited about it opening but I fear what it will do to my wallet

Welcome to the forum, BTW! Always glad to see a fellow Texan join the board, and even better somebody else from San Antonio.
Old 09-11-06, 07:35 PM   #21
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

two cups hot tapwater, two tablespoons (rounded) garlic powder and two teaspoons salt. mix well and pour into baggies of soft plastics, and mush them about.....re-seal the baggies and float them on a pail of hot tapwater for twenty minutes, open each baggie to drain off the excess and re-seal. The garlic and salt will penetrate the soft plastics and will remain long after drying in the package.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 07:53 PM   #22
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd garlic salt my baits to death

I have some concentrated garlic for pouring soft plastics, I've tried that, but I pretty much just use what's on sale
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 12:47 PM   #23
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
two cups hot tapwater, two tablespoons (rounded) garlic powder and two teaspoons salt. mix well and pour into baggies of soft plastics, and mush them about.....re-seal the baggies and float them on a pail of hot tapwater for twenty minutes, open each baggie to drain off the excess and re-seal. The garlic and salt will penetrate. the soft plastics and will remain long after drying in the package.
##################################################
penetrate may be a little optimistic...might stick to the outside a little better.
Old 02-12-12, 12:08 PM   #24
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive always squirted a little bit of that "garlic" scent on my senko's i think YUM makes the stuff i use. Ive caught a lot of fish with it and a lot of fish without it. My opinion is that stuff might cover up foreign smell i have on my hands when i rig my senko(maybe gas from my boat) something like that.
blackstang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 12:38 PM   #25
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I make my own plastics and always pour some Menhaden scent into the bag. It lets the scent marinate into the baits better and the bass really seem to hold on longer. It also seems to make the baits feel softer and more lively.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.