Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-23-06, 02:28 PM   #1
An00bis Maximus
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to An00bis Maximus
Unhappy What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I am a bank fisherman, so maybe the rules are a little different for me, if so please say so.

I use topwater floaters that i jerk and swim and let float, I use all kinds of spinners, I recently began to use 10" worms, and I use swimmer/divers. For hours I stand on the bank, and these monster bass are literally leaping fully out of the water all around me! But nothing bites, maybe once a week I'll get a fish. Sure it's beautiful out there, but I get frustrated sometimes. I try all kinds of returns and presentations, straight and fast return, jig a li'l bit sometimes, hell, everything I can think of. They just jump out of the water and laugh at me. Am I catching nothing because I am fishing from the bank? I know I'm there at the right times of dawn and dusk, so it must be the bank fishing huh?
An00bis Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 02:42 PM   #2
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

try fishing at night and tie on a topwater such as a jitterbut or a popper. good luck
Old 08-23-06, 02:47 PM   #3
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No way bank fishing can be quite rewarding you just got to be on your game a bit better. Look around and you'll see the sings all around you. Is there cover, am I fishing the cover right? What are they jumping after, can I mimic what they are feeding on?Have I tried live bait? Is my presentation too slow or too fast? Am I sneaking up on them good enough? Try at night when the water cools down, head for deeper water. don't stay in one area too long move around cover lots of ground. Fish without casting a shadow in the water fish a little back from the bank. fish have good eye sight and can see out of water. These are some of the things to consider when fishing from shore

I got these guys from shore ,so it can be done.You just got to use your noodle and out smart them.

Robby.
Old 08-23-06, 03:00 PM   #4
ironman

Send a message via AIM to ironman

that's some proof.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 03:52 PM   #5
ROBZILLA

And more still.
Old 08-23-06, 04:02 PM   #6
mack

as others said, topwater is the way to go..i suggest a black jitterbug or buzzbait at night...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 09:40 PM   #7
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

dude get a drop shot going with a robo worm and 6lb line....throw that baby out there and shake it on the bottom.....throw it to the fish that are jumping in the morning.....tie yourself a senko up and a popper and go to work on those feeding bass.....I really have started to like the rico poppers for early morning action.......two pops and let it rest has been working for me.....jsut concentrate on making good presentations and not scaring them off with shadows or bad casts...
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 09:42 PM   #8
Fishie1

also don't have your drag tight as can be....on the dropshot.....losen it up a bit......my heart has been broken before from the bank because of this with the rig....
Old 08-23-06, 09:45 PM   #9
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i thought dropshot is a vertical presentation, be kinda hard to do that from shore wouldnt it?
Old 08-24-06, 08:03 AM   #10
Fishie1

no....it works pretty well from the shore...you can fish it like a t rig and it hangs up less in some instances......depending on your targeted zone you are going to want to make the leader longer cause you got a smaller angle. like if you are throwing the rig out as far as you possibly can and you are fishing like 25 feet of water make your leader about 18 inches cause the angle will be small but if you are throwing the thing around cover by the bank...7 or 8 inches is substantial.....
Old 08-24-06, 10:25 AM   #11
Vabass22

I had the same problemn for the past few months, except for when I went on vacation to wv, and caught some nicew ones. Finally, I found an old farm pond, and I catch fish there all the time, with baits, and presentations I got skunked with before. The #1 reason, imo, that bank fisherman dont catch fish, is that they are'nt on them. If the fish are jumping, they won't always bite. Plus those fish, could be another species of fish. One more thing, stand back from the shore, so that the fish can't see you.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 07:00 PM   #12
An00bis Maximus
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to An00bis Maximus
Smile

WOW! Great stuff guys, I even used one of those pencil things to write these things down on that paper stuff!

I'll keep all ya up on things from time to time!
An00bis Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 01:53 PM   #13
skeeter944

about the dropshot from shore thing,if you use a long leader and a 4'' crawfish,it looks like the crawfish is digging down,or you can use a fluke and it looks like it is eating stuff on the bottom. just shaking and the pull,slack technique WILL work on pressured fish
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 08:54 PM   #14
Vabass22

Good idea, will try it when a texas rig, or my go-to rig isn't working(almost never).
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.