Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-17-07, 06:00 AM   #1
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Wild, Wet, Wanton Women!!!

Now that I have your attention...

The Wind And The Wacky
by FlyRod (for extra credit.)

Here's a tidbit that might save the (windy) day.
When one is fishing a Tiki-Stik type bait (see: Senko, YUM Dinger, etc.) on an unweighted T-rig wind, especially a head-on or crossing breeze, sensitivity loss due to line "bowing" is a very real problem. Don't argue with me! It really IS a problem. Also, sideways drift will take your "stick" out of the target zone or into Snag City more often than not.
Exhaustive testing at The FlyRod Institute Of Advanced Bassing Techniques, Wind Effect Division, has resulted in the following:
If you Wackify your stick (easy now!) you will slow the rate of drift. By keeping your rod tip near or just beneath the surface as you let the lure sink or slowly retrieve it you will maximize line tension via the elimination of SOME of the wind's effects.
Why? (I hear you ask.) Well, rig two rods, one with a T-rig of a given soft stick, the other with an identical stick rigged Wacky-style. Cast both and compare the "retrieve resistance" of the two. See what I mean?
Right! The Wacky one will have more drag and THAT equals greater line tension = enhanced sensitivity.
I'm sure you all can envision the scene beneath the surface. The T-rigged stick slipping through the water, slick as a torpedo. The Wackyfied stick is sideways to the direction of travel, thus slowing things down a bit.
Windy conditions are less braid-friendly too. Braid tends to sink quite slowly and seems, to me at least, to catch the breeze more than mono or fluoro of similar diameter. Mono is a shade better in this situation but fluoro really shines here.
Y'see, of all line types, fluoro is the sinker. Ergo, it stands to reason that fluoro will help get the lure deeper, quicker, and expose less of itself to breeze or surface drift caused by wave action.
Since I'm pretty much a braid/fluoro leader addict for soft plastics, I'm more prone to suffer than those using fluoro only. Still, I offset the negative effect to some extent by using fluoro leaders of 6-8 feet in length. That little bit of "sinking tip", especially when paired with a , by brand, 5" Senko, helps me a lot. (The true SENKO, it seems, sinks more rapidly than other types and every little bit helps.)
Other helpful ideas; If you fish your 5" stick, T-rigged, with a 3/0 light wire hook, try a 3/0 or 4/0 heavy wire hook. More weight, get it? Maybe a Gamakatsu Superline hook.
I almost always insert a tiny glass w/metal beads rattle in my 5" sticks (To do this right is a challenge. You can't just jam one into the plastic.) That adds weight and an added attraction, especially when fishing a black/blue stick at night.
Buy some of those little ribbed "nails" at your local Academy and insert them into each end of the stick, if Wackied, or maybe half of one in the tail end of a T-rigged stick. Using a heavier wire hook will likely prevent the stick from falling tail-first. If it doesn't, further shorten the lead by snapping it off between the ribs. Make sure the lead is all the way into the plastic, totally invisible from the end view. Otherwise it will slip out in short order, being literally "pooped" out by compression of the plastic. A tiny drop of super glue prior to insertion helps.

Conclusion: Well, I'll leave that to you.

FR
Insomnia and too much time on my hands.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:06 AM   #2
patchino22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Very interesting. This will definitely be in my mind when my next windy outing arises. I am also going to check out the technique on adding weight to those stick baits. Good info here FlyRod. Thanks for the post!
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 06:10 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

swatter is right on the money..

well well well looky who be a postin.. it is "pimp daddy" swatter.. still fly just at a differant level..

pimp daddy ask reb about the yellow caddy story..

zooker
Old 07-17-07, 07:52 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Zooker, he'll get a kick out of that one!
Old 07-17-07, 08:11 PM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Zooker, he'll get a kick out of that one!

I don't think I wanna know. I just ate.
Plus, I'm exhausted, fizzikally and emotionally, from the now-legendary braid with flouro leader thread.
This is why I refuse to do two shows a night.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:52 PM   #6
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default very good

Hey Flyrod,Very interesting article you wrote...I enjoyed and very detailed.drink Gatorade and do some stretches before the next show...I mean who likes being fizzikally and emotionally drain (I Love it fizzikally).
...that's funny right there.See ya Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 02:24 PM   #7
brushhog

Fly - I've read and reread that post. After much consternation, and some mild constipation, I forwarded it to my legal department. $150 an hour later, the verdict was returned. That post constitutes advice. We heard and understood your barristers arguement that its was not directed to a specific reader or query, however it still falls under the heading of advice. No fine will be levied, in fact the court issued a statement rejoicing in your return as an advice columnist!

Welcom back Uncle Fly!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.