Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-17-09, 07:26 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Targeting Smallies/Jocassee

So my family is kind of having an impromptu vacation/visit college day (brother looking at Clemson) and we are stayin 4 days (4 day weekend ) at a cabin. The positves are that there is a stocked pond right next to the cabin, so I hope to kill them there. Also we are visiting Lake Jocassee one of the days and I AM REALLY HOPING TO CATCH MY FIRST SMALLMOUTH.

So, what do you guys say I focus on to catch my first smallmouth? I talked to a friend who said he caught a lot of spots and 1 largemouth on a drop shot. So there are largemouth, smallmouth, and spots. So what colors, lures, structure, or anything else should I focus on? You dont have to tell me your secret lure or secret color, but any help would be much appreciated.

Also have any of you fished Lake Jocassee and give me any tips?

Thanks for all the help, really hope i can grab my first smallie.
Old 10-18-09, 09:03 AM   #2
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've never fished the lake and I don't know the structure or depth the fish are holding. But I bet if you target shallow rockpiles, points and wood with search lures like spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits, X Rap jerkbaits and small buzzbaits, you'll find at least a few active fish. Once you find em, then you can slow down and use finesse lures nearby to clean up. Tubes especially, or Zoom Super Flukes and Tex Rig Senkos.

I love smallies, but I'm used to fishing clear, relatively shallow, river smallies. So I could be way off, but this is what works for me.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 06:35 PM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Key in on what beaver said rockpiles, rockypoints, deep water with shallow water access near by etc etc... As far as baits go dropshot, shakyhead, jerk baits, and finesse jigs latley have worked for me.
Old 10-18-09, 08:51 PM   #4
TnTom

Excuse my dumbness but where is Jocassee? When will you be there?
Old 10-19-09, 12:21 AM   #5
Bender

It is in northern South Carolina, just north of Keowee. It is very deep from what I have been told. I've fished Keowee once but I think Jocasee is a lot different.

My suggestions all depend on the water temp. You need to find out what depth they are in first so try lots of different areas. I very seldom use them, but tubes are very effective for smallies. Plus you can fish them shallow or deep. If they are suspending then throw jerkbaits. If you don't have many jerkbaits I'd suggest getting a couple X-Raps, an X-Rap Deep, and a Smithwick Rogue or two. Jerkbaits can get expensive but that's a good start. On the tube a 1/4 oz. tube head would be good, or you can Texas rig them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 08:55 PM   #6
aikenyounggun

Oh I'm gonna be up there this weekend (10/23 - 10/26) and Bender I have jerkbaits, I grew up fishin with my dad so basically everything you have (minus swimbaits) I have access to, I was counting on taking a couple jerkbaits, thanks for the info.

Last edited by aikenyounggun; 10-20-09 at 04:36 PM.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 08:04 PM   #7
swimbaitkid

If you need some swimbaits,just call me, I have some cute swimbaits that smallies tear up.If you ever have a tournament there,tell me and I will get you everything you need to catch some smallies
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.