Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-22-10, 01:26 AM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Wide gap hooks vs. normal offsets for worming.

Hey guys. I have used both with good success, but I prefer the wide gaps because I seem to lose fewer fish, and the worm seem to have better action.

Worms are a fairly new thing for me. I have attempted to use them for many years, but I never caught anything on them until early this year. Why would you use one over the other?

Also, I use the straight shaft ones for flukes. I have seen others mention wide gaps for that application as well. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-22-10, 09:20 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Myself, I use the wide gap hooks for everything. Only because they have worked very well for me so don't see a need to change.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 09:36 AM   #3
Bassboss

I've been using straight shank worm hooks from owner and mustad for a while and love them. They're much more weedless and the weeds don't seem to get snagged on the offset part. I still use wide gap for senkos though. as far as getting the worm to stay on the hook? The shrink tubing works great.

I still use wide gap for senkos, like I said, and for worms that are beefer, and have more bulk to them, same thing with creatures.
Old 08-22-10, 09:52 AM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use wide gap for everything nowadays except pitchin and flippin t-rigs... and finesse applications... if i go to a small 4" Texas rig, i dont need the big ole EWG n=hangin off te side, so i go straightshank...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:35 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've used both, but mostly the EWGs. People say the hookups are better with an offset.

However, I've recently been using Owner TwistLock hooks, and will be buying these instead of EWGs when I need hooks. My plastics last much longer than with EWGs or Offsets.

BB
Old 08-22-10, 10:42 AM   #6
CamG

I use pretty much nothing but EWG style hooks for any Texas Rig soft plastic, unless I'm flippin or pitchin - then I use a snelled straight shank.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:47 AM   #7
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I go with EWG for my applications as others said. However when skipping under docks or low hanging trees etc I like the Gama skip gap hook as it seems the bait doesn't slide around as much.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:57 AM   #8
LarryB
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryB

I have been a user of Gammy's EWG hooks when throwing soft plastics. Usually that would be a Brush Hog or a Sweet Beaver. Now, I am tossing more 10" worms on Lake Guntersville and have been using Owner's offset worm hook. I have been impressed with it and the hookup ratio has been excellent.

I want to try Lazer Trokar's hooks and see how well they do on 10" worms and larger.
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 12:59 PM   #9
Jrob78

I use EWG's and Skip Gap hooks for 95% of baits that would rig Texas style...t-rigs, c-rigs, weightless, Senkos, Flukes, things like that. I've never had hookup problems to note and it's much easier to keep your bait nice and straight. This is especially important for Flukes.

I did buy some straight shank hooks to try with flipping/pitching/punching. They have barbs but no shrink tubing, I might add some or try snelling them.
Old 08-22-10, 01:18 PM   #10
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Old School off set worm hooks for me unless it is a thick creature bait or a plastic frog. The off set hooks I use are : Owner, BPS and Mustad, I get them when they are on sale, they are all made of a different mil of wire, so weigh differntly from each other, controlling the fall rate of the worm, that can be the difference many time in hooking fish
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 11:23 PM   #11
66KingFisher

For worming, I use nothin but Tru-turn hooks and have for many years.....but for all heavy bodied plastics I have been using EWG Gammy hooks, but...I seem to have trouble rigging tubes with them....I just can't seem to get a T-rigged tube to hang straight and it always seems to spin thru the water because of that.....so I may have to find a different hook to use with tubes....Or figure out what i'm doin wrong....I dunno.
Old 08-22-10, 11:55 PM   #12
lilmule

Smaller version of a screwlock hook takes care of both tubes and senkos and can toss back in salad,hangs straighter does not spin,and stays on,with less being torn at the head when torn,its by fish much farther back.
Some smaller versions merely use a spike with spear points along it they work just as well,picture a small metal toothpick thats got humps or threaded holding the head in place.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 05:24 PM   #13
bamabassman

i go with both really. mostly the straight shank ones on my worms and lizzards though. if i am using craws, i go with the wide gap. dunno why.
Old 08-23-10, 07:10 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
For worming, I use nothin but Tru-turn hooks and have for many years.....but for all heavy bodied plastics I have been using EWG Gammy hooks,
Same here. If Tru-Turn offered a wide gap hook I'd be using those. I've never missed a fish using a Tru-Turn. No kidding.
Old 08-24-10, 01:13 PM   #15
screwballl

I like the normal offset hooks so it hugs close to the thicker worms and less chance of snagging the vegetation that is so common here... but I do have some EWG for a few specific uses or area with little vegetation
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 04:15 PM   #16
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
I like the normal offset hooks so it hugs close to the thicker worms and less chance of snagging the vegetation that is so common here... but I do have some EWG for a few specific uses or area with little vegetation
You ever have hookup problems like this? seems the worm would get in teh way of teh hook set if you dont have enough space on teh backside
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 04:13 PM   #17
screwballl

Most of the thicker worms I use have a notch in the top and bottom, so it slides up the hook easier and typically only lose the fish if they only grab hold of the worm, not the whole thing...
Old 08-26-10, 03:51 PM   #18
Cavs1123

I think you have it reversed John. Offset for most worms and EWG for flukes. At least thats what i've been taught.
Old 09-02-10, 02:29 PM   #19
screwballl

doh I forgot to mention something else...
If the bite is tough (as it often is here) sometimes I will set it up as T-rig or C-rig using the larger EWG up front, tied with a Palomar and use the extra leader to tie on a second smaller offset hook but not EWG that goes towards the tail of the senko. Many times they just nip at the tail, or try to grab the tail and run, and when you pull it the worm just pops out... with the secondary hook it helps bring it in. If I find they are starting to feed and take much more worm or hooked on larger hook, then I will remove the second hook and possibly change it to wacky style.
Old 09-03-10, 11:25 PM   #20
bassinbob

Like that tip screwball.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.