Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-11, 11:55 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Wacky-rigged Senko Hooks

I bought some o-rings, and have decided to give it a serious effort around the milfoil this year.

What size and kind of hooks have you been using for Senkos?

I'm looking at a 3/0 Gammy Octopus vs. a 3/0 Finesse Wide Gap (maybe the weedless version in particularly thick salad.

I am particularly concerned about hook swallowing, hence the consideration given to the Octopus.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-14-11, 12:01 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Owner Wacky Hook

Owner Weedless Wacky Hook

After trying these this past summer, they're all I use for wacky rigging anymore.

BB
Old 03-14-11, 12:37 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Well, I certainly don't have a problem using Owners. I use them drop shotting...good hooks. They appear to be substantially less expensive than the Gamakatsu's too...always a plus.
Old 03-14-11, 12:58 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Yeah, the wacky hooks are cheaper, but the weedless ones aren't. I don't use the weedless ones though.

BB
Old 03-14-11, 01:06 PM   #5
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use the "Lip-Stick" hooks from Northland. I always use the weedless because I'm usually throwing them into weedbeds or near/in the lily pads and reeds. There is also a weighted version of the weedless, but I don't use that one too often. There is a slightly smaller size when I'm tossing a 5" senko vs. when I'm tossing a 7". I buy all of them I can find whenever they are on the shelves at the Mills Fleet Farm store here in town.

P.S. - I almost never have the hook get swallowed (I can only remember twice all last year), and I fish wacky senkos a lot. I don't know if that has anything to do with the hook or if it's just dumb luck. I, too, use Owner hooks when I'm dropshotting, which I also do quite a bit of.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 01:25 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I prefer the Octopus myself. I do want to try the Owner wacky hook, it appears very similiar to the Octopus, but has a slightly wider gap and comes with or without a weekguard. I use Gammies & owner hooks mostly. If you're concerned with fish swallowing baits - personally I prefer one that swallows as opposed to spits - circle hooks work well with this presentation as it does with a dropshot.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 01:54 PM   #7
cassidyta

I have always used the owner ones. I like the weedless models best and feel that they do help.
One of the things that I recently started doing was to use either computer or phone cables to make my own weed guard. The computer cables are a little more stiff and hold up better. I wrap it three times and then add a touch of super glue. I have boxes of the cable, but if you had to buy it, you would spend about $5 for a 10' cable which could last you a long time.
Old 03-14-11, 10:59 PM   #8
Bender

I exclusively use the green Owners. I tried the Gammy Finesse Wide Gap Weedless in a tournament and lost two very good fish within 5 minutes and swore I'd never use them again. I went back to the Owners and have never had a complaint. A lo of times on the wacky rig I let it fall on slack line so good hooksets aren't always a possibility since many times you just see the line taking off to the side and do all that you can to catch up with them. I've been very happy with the Owners hooking fish in the mouth in those cases.

Cass, what computer cables are you using? Like an old CAT5 ethernet cable conductor? I'm curious as to how you are doing it. I've been using open hooks but if that doesn't get in the way I'd sure like to try it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 01:15 AM   #9
cassidyta

Bender,

In hindsight, i did a bad job of explaining it. I use CAT5 cables, but I only use one of the 8 individual copper strands. I strip the outer covering and then untwist the inner wires. I will cut a piece about 1 inch and then wrap it on the shank. Without a drop of superglue, the wire will slide on the shank. I have to straighten the wires out after a couple of fish, but it will usually last until I lose the hook. It is not as clean as the owner hooks, but it works just as well for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	6370
Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	6371

while totally unrelated, I also use the same wire to peg my baits through the eye of the hook when flipping and pitching. I just slide it through the bait and the hook eye.
Old 03-15-11, 05:21 AM   #10
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

1/0 Owner Wacky Hooks. Haven't lost a fish yet on them.
Old 03-20-11, 08:21 PM   #11
Frogman20
BassFishin.Com Member

Cut your Senko at the end up to the middle add a 1/8 once slip weight and embed the hook you will have some great luck. I recommend using the pumpkin with gold flake produces a lot of strikes.
Frogman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:31 AM   #12
hookinanbookin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman20 View Post
Cut your Senko at the end up to the middle add a 1/8 once slip weight and embed the hook you will have some great luck. I recommend using the pumpkin with gold flake produces a lot of strikes.
can you give us a pic or explain it a little better please.

thank you
hookinanbookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 10:55 AM   #13
Bassboss

I like the 5" senkos on a 1/0 owner WW rig hook, same kind as biggins. Just be aware of what's going on on the end of your line and you shouldn't have to big of a deal bug hooking 'em.
Old 03-25-11, 02:45 PM   #14
hookinanbookin
BassFishin.Com Member

1/0 circle, live bait or octopus hooks
hookinanbookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 05:47 PM   #15
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the gammy weedless wacky hooks and they work great
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 10:35 PM   #16
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman20 View Post

I really dont understand what you are saying. Cut it totally in half up to the middle ? Like a split tail ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 07:48 PM   #17
Thingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the Gamakatsu weedless, but I really like the look of the Owner weedless linked above. I'll give 'em a try.
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.