Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-10-12, 07:59 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Brent Chapman vs Chris Lane

If y'all haven't heard, Brent Chapman won the elite series event today on Toledo Bend. On top of it, he was and obviously still is leading the angler of year race for the elite series. He has had 5th, 5th, and 4th place finish this year in the elites. On top of that he has already qualified for the classic through his win in the central open on Lewisville lake. He is also tied for the lead in the angler of the year race in the central opens. Not a bad beginning for a fishermen that many don't know too well. Thought I would point it out, major props (pun) to him for fishing so consistently.

How do y'all compare this to Chris Lane at te beginning of the year, where he won the southern open on the Harris chains, before the classic. Then he won the classic, and then finished 2nd on lake okochobee in the elites. He is also a solid 20th in the AOY race. (elites).

So which is more impressive, I think they are pretty close because Chris won the classic. But Brent has been soooooo consistent. So I'll give a slight edge to Brent. But still awesome for some under respected fishermen. Chris has lived in the shadow of his brother Bobby, and Brent has really burst onto the scene.
Old 06-10-12, 08:41 PM   #2
bcklash

Tough question. I think Lane is the one that has burst onto the scene. Chapman has fished 11 classics. I like them both, but I think Chapman is having a better year. But a classic win is awesome. I don't know.
Old 06-10-12, 09:11 PM   #3
Jrob78

I think Chapman is having a better year. Lane is having a great year too but not on par with Chapman. The only difference is Lane won the Classic which counts for a heck of a lot. Just winning the classic means you had a great year. Both of them will probably triple qualify for next years classic.

I also wouldn't say Chapman burst on the scene. He has been one of the most consistent guys on tour since he started. I think he's won 4 BASS events even though this is his first Elite Series win. He's well respected and a threat to win every event he fishes. Lane is a heck of a good fisherman and also well respected, he just hasn't been at it nearly as long as Chapman. I think Lane also gets pigeon holed as a FL fisherman, although probably not quite so much now.

I like both those guys a lot and I am happy for them both for the success they are having this year.
Old 06-10-12, 10:51 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would say that Chapman is riding a bigger hot streak at the moment. I am really happy for Brent as he seems like he is one of the good guys. Although any of those guys can win a tournament anywhere in the country, I would say that Chapman is a bigger threat to win tournaments that aren't in Florida or the deep south. Not taking anything away from Chris, he is a great stick and seems like a great guy as well. But Chapman is really on a roll right now, however if Chris Lane would have won this event on Toledo Bend we would all be talking about how amazing of a season Chris Lane is having.
Old 06-14-12, 07:40 PM   #5
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm biased towards Brent having met him several times and talked with him, even done some archery shooting. He's a really down to earth guy and pleasure to be around. I was surprised when he showed up to shoot and had a truck with big dents and rust on it, just like an average guy might have. He'll talk to you about fishing as long as you want. He's one of the guys that seems to do well and be really consistant but he can't ever get any love from BASS and loses out on the camera time and stories to the more flamboyant charactors despite the fact that he may be fishing better than some of them. After this win and jumping back into the captian's chair for the AOY race he is finally getting some attention it seems. His season so far this year has been about as good as anyone could ask for. I just hope he doesn't crash and burn like Skeet did a couple years ago after winning a couple and finishing high then not getting AOY.
Chris Lane has had a great year and seems like a good guy too and I enjoyed watching him win the Classic but if I was going to pick who has had a more impressive year I'd say Chapman has so far.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.