Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-03-06, 01:03 AM   #76
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

Lemme make a suggestion on a rod. Get a Shakespeare Ugly Stick. Trust me. You can go all out on a reel, but for the rod needs to be replaceable. More then one time I've closed my car door on my rod tip, or pulled the leading eye out when I got the rod caught in a tree branch. You'll feel alot better when you break your cheap rod then you would if you broke an expensive one.
Old 03-03-06, 09:27 AM   #77
basstech

Cranky, with such generous offer from your dad, do you not feel a responsibility to get the best value for the dollar. You can get very high end equipment without buying the most expensive. The line of St.Croix rods are an excellent value, but the Stella I'm not so sure is. I've got 3 stradics and from what I've seen of spinning reels from all the major manufacturers they are the best value for the dollar and are an excellent smooth reel. Drag is the most important consideration when buying a spinning reel. I was lucky to be working at a tackle shop here in Missouri when Meggabass first came out. We were the first store to carry them in the four or five state region back in the early '90's. Although I liked them very well, they really haven't been as productive as less expensive cranks. Not to mention from shore, your going to loose more cranks when you get hung up than from a boat...I know you can't get a boat. Consider that tried and true cranks over time such as the bomber 6a's and 7a's, Rebel wee R's, Bagley's balsa baits, Rat-l-traps, cotton cordell Big O's just to name a few. Productivity is the name of the game, not so much "Looking Good". Choose wisely and responsibly and make your father proud.
Old 03-03-06, 09:49 AM   #78
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cranky,
can you swim? you may need to take lessons if you've never experienced it in India...steep banks on ponds or not watching what your doing could lead to a spill into the drink..also be aware that the bottom of ponds near the bank are always soft and you sink in the muck(mud) about a foot or too..I've had the muck pull a knee high boot right off my foot before..perhaps your mother has concerns about safety while your close to the water, it could be a "feather in your hat" to learn more about safety concerns while fishing. Once you have some knowledge about being safe on the water, years down the road a boat may be in the picture. Plus you have trouble getting your parents to allow you to fish,
find out why they are hesitant to let you out...find the reasons..is it because it interfers with their schedues?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 02:23 PM   #79
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the stella looks like a piece o junk
Old 03-03-06, 03:57 PM   #80
crankybait

ineccess- already have an ugly stik. isnt sensitive at all...

basstech- i might go into the stradic...

jb- yeah i can swim. but i fish very safe placfes. a doc, and a place with wood steps going into the pond. she doesnt want me to fish because he thinks its inneffective and doesnt work, and its a waste of time and money.
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 04:08 PM   #81
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

so hey, whats mom' idea of relaxing hobby for ol cranky?
I can think of about a million other things that teens do that are far worse than fishin.tell mom to give ol jb a call rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 07:06 PM   #82
crankybait

my moms idea of a hobby is reading or studying.
Old 03-03-06, 07:30 PM   #83
fishing_sniper

sounds like ur mom described fishin to a capital T but its fun as all get out
think about gettin several rods and reals in different actions and lengths i myself cary at least 2 rods a long limber medium action for crank baits and wieght less worms and then a 6,6 MH worm/jig rod rods are important but as someones said earlier u dont wonna REALY exspensive rod cuz u are going to break it its only a matter of when and how st croix is way outta my lg even though most pple say they are a good value i use all star rods for bass and saltwater rods they are realy sensitive have good spine to them but are just the right in flexibility course i only have 6 7foot medium action rods (inherited) pitches a wieghtless worm from here to timbucktoo but it will also chunk and ounce of wieght out and got the backbone to pull in 40 lb redfishive also run over a few of them and they are fine and all of them are paired with a shimano sahara spinnin reel my uncle that i inherited them from fished off a 30 thousand dollar boat(wish i had inherited that) and had the money to buy any rod and reel he wanted and thats what he bought and not just 1 of them 6 of them
Old 03-03-06, 08:11 PM   #84
crankybait

fishing sniper, i have an ugly stik and avocate already. the ugly stik id use for jigs, avocate for a few soft plastics, and the next one would be for everything else. im also geting an emerald rod, but i pay for that with my own money

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.