Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-03-06, 02:19 AM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Arrow Winter Fishin almost paid off today!

water temps 47 degrees....hard bass fishin ! I was flippin my jig into 12ft water with trees/rocks at the bottom...nothin all day then towards the end of the day connected with one didnt really notice until i saw my line moving...he didnt really move at all..until i set the hook he went crazy ...yet i still havent seen the fish ...reelin em in and i see him i saw his belly flash ..omg the fish was 7lbs easy over 24ins....lost him hook just came out i had the line tight the whole time so i either set it to hard or it just came out ...idk but im done til spring !!
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 02:40 AM   #2
jrward
BassFishin.Com Member

Never give up, some of my best bass have caught in Jan. crankbaits run along dropoffs have really paid off for cold water bass.
jrward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 08:55 AM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

. Thats cool as heck, although you didn't get to land it, none the less your on your start to fishing jigs.Most likely you didn't set the hook into her. They will bite down so hard sometimes, its near impossible to get a hookset,let alone a good hookset. on those days all you do is move them a bit, or pull them up in the water, but they will hold on to their prey they just caught so it doesn't get away from them, so you think you have hooked them. I have netted bass in shallow water that wasn't hooked, it just didn't let go before I pulled it up and scooped it with the net.Jigs have heavy hooks and weight attached to the hook and bulky trailers. Don't be afraid to set the hook harder than you do for other lures. In time you will be aware of what the jig feels like and you will know the fish is there without the tell tale signs of a strike you will get from fishing other baits.I can't explain how you know, but you will know , I contribute it to fishing the jig so much, you know when somethings not right. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 09:38 AM   #4
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
. Thats cool as heck, although you didn't get to land it, none the less your on your start to fishing jigs.Most likely you didn't set the hook into her. They will bite down so hard sometimes, its near impossible to get a hookset,let alone a good hookset. on those days all you do is move them a bit, or pull them up in the water, but they will hold on to their prey they just caught so it doesn't get away from them, so you think you have hooked them. I have netted bass in shallow water that wasn't hooked, it just didn't let go before I pulled it up and scooped it with the net.Jigs have heavy hooks and weight attached to the hook and bulky trailers. Don't be afraid to set the hook harder than you do for other lures. In time you will be aware of what the jig feels like and you will know the fish is there without the tell tale signs of a strike you will get from fishing other baits.I can't explain how you know, but you will know , I contribute it to fishing the jig so much, you know when somethings not right. P N J
PnJ, You never cease to amaze me. IMO you are the jig guru of this forum. At 71, I don't pitch and flip as well as I once did, but I do enjoy listening to you talk about it. Carpy
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 10:33 AM   #5
skeeter944

i was fishing yesterday and i was fishing a jig,i pitched it out ther,and i hopped it a few time,then i started to reel it in to make another pitch,and a really nice bass explodes on it! so i pick up my spinnerbait rod and cast out to where the bass hit it,which was literally 5' away,and i am almost done with my retrieve when the bass hammers the bait so hard,that it jumps on shore! the bass then shakes it's head until the lure pops free,which wasnt very long,and flops back i the water! i was a bit upset,but we caught 11 others over 12'',so it was still a fun day. i also missed this HUGE pickeral that i saw jump out and eat my spinnerbait,but he broke the 12lb line cause of his sharp teeth. i also lost another pickeral that i hooked,but he wasnt too incredibly huge,maybe 2 or 3lbs.but i am still going to fish a jig until i start catching bass on one,no matter how long it takes.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 11:13 AM   #6
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Two buddies and I were fishing together one day at the one's pond behind his house. I was killing them on what I call my Denny Brauer special. A black and blue jig with a Paca Craw trailer. We decided to call it a day and on the way back to his dock I made one last cast about 30 yards. I never fealt the weight of the jig so I reeled in the slack and set the hook and sure enough there was another bass. My buddies were like you've got to be kidding me. What happened was the bass scooped it up on the fall and immediately started moving towards me. I was far enough away that I couldn't tell that my line was moving. It's important to always feel the jig at the end of your rod. If you lift your rod tip up and it's soft, reel down and set the hook.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 12:36 PM   #7
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Thx PnJ ...but lol the same thing happened to me i didnt fell the weight and my line was moving away from me ..lol
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 09:38 PM   #8
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

sounds tough. its only gonna get colder.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 09:39 PM   #9
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

its been in the 20's every morning and 30's every afternoon in south texas!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 12:30 AM   #10
skeeter944

it was like 60 degrees here in sc,but it was in the 70's yesterday,so it got sorta chilly!
Old 12-04-06, 06:46 PM   #11
rrw4258

hey skeeter, and to anybody else in the south, ENJOY THE WARM WEATHER!! As JB had already stated in another post, we have skim ice on some lakes and ponds around here!!

Ryan
Old 12-05-06, 12:08 PM   #12
skeeter944

i am glad i live in the south!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.