Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-09-08, 10:17 AM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default When Rain Comes

Hey Guys. I hope everybody's fisihng is going well. I hit the lake Sunday and came away with 4 LM about 2 1/2 to 3lbs each. It got really windy and rained the day before so some banks were murky and some were clear. I didn't know how to approach this. I fished the murky water with colored, glittery, flashy crank baits over points, drop off's etc. and didn't have any luck. I then went over to the clear bank and turned to my natural shad crank bait with rattle and picked up 2 bass. I don't consider myself a good bass fisherman until I can catch bass in any situation and any structure. I know bass are in the murky water but I don't know how to make them bite.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 07:16 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would recommend a large brightly colored spinnerbait with gold or silver blades in the murkey water. Especially one with a large colorado blade. The bright colors and vibrations thrown out by the blades will help bass zero in on the lure. Also, look for areas where murkey water meets clearer water. That forms another breakline that bass will use to ambush prey.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 07:49 PM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

K'puppy offers excellent advice (See above) and there's a small contribution thereto I'd like to offer.
Sometimes a BLACK spinnerbait serves well in very murky water. Depending on the water color and degree of light penetration, a large and loud black jobbie does the trick. The same may be said of black or dark blue rattle jigs and large-profile soft plastics with rattles inserted. These may be rendered even more effective by pegging a bead (Use the Peg-It[TM], not a poothtick) the nose of the lure and allowing a free-sliding brass or tungsten weight to slide freely so as to make noise when it impacts the bead...Glass beads only. not plastic.
Carry on.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 08:39 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

amen and amen the darker colors and the louder vibration of the colorado blades should
help out also give painted blades a shot . the glass beads will help also try your plastics
in a black/chartreuse .
Old 06-10-08, 10:16 AM   #5
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Find the spot where the murky water meets the clear water, that is your ambush spot.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:40 PM   #6
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had this happend over the past weekend when I was "stranded" at the In Laws house (on the lake no less!) for the weekend, as our power was out for over 48 hours.

I had a bunch of luck with a silver mepps, and white & red bucktail. This produced for me 1 of every 4 casts until I hung it up on the bottom near some trees (probably an exposed root).

I still did pretty good afterwards, but that 90 minutes was the best run this season for me.
Old 06-10-08, 07:50 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

stranded on the lake at the in-laws? MOVE IN PAL!!!!! hahahahaha, but for real...move in.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 04:46 PM   #8
jasonfish320

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankitup View Post
I know bass are in the murky water but I don't know how to make them bite.
This is not always true, Bass are like any other fish, they need clean water with plenty of oxygen to keep them healthy...
Old 06-13-08, 11:17 AM   #9
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

K-puppy hit it right on the head. Spinnerbait that bank hard! It will pay off.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.