Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-08-11, 07:39 PM   #1
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Shaky Head Fishin'

Shaky heads have been a Godsent in the last couple of years. I wanna get yalls opinion on type, line, line size, when, where, and worm length and color selection. Any information will be appreciated!
Old 08-08-11, 08:05 PM   #2
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

And what rod and reel combo yall use as well.
Old 08-08-11, 08:27 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't have a rod dedicated to shaky head fishing. I can throw everything except a 1/16oz head and a 4" finesse worm on my Dobyns DX703C/Daiwa Sol combo. Although sometimes I use a 7' M F spinning rod. The former is spooled with 20lb Sufix 832. The later has 10lb Sufix 832.

Worms vary depending on the situation. A few of my favorites are Strike King Elaztech Finesse worms and PowerBait Shaky Worms.

I use 3 different shaky head jigs. Strike King's Tour Grade Shaky head, Owner's Shaky head (with the CPS spring), and Owner's Finesse Ball head. 1/16 and 1/8oz are my usual choice but I'll go up to 1/4oz if the conditions dictate it.

While it's not one of my go-to techniques, I fish it in a lot of places. I'll pitch a shaky head on Owner's Finesse Ball head into weeds or pads as that jig head is pretty weedless. Around brush and in rocks/gravel are both good places for a shaky head.

BB
Old 08-08-11, 08:34 PM   #4
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 08-08-11, 08:37 PM   #5
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use them a lot, lot's of different sizes and plastics on them. I tend to pick the weight of the shaky by the hook size that it comes with, and then use the bait that is the type I want with the size that would match the hook. This is more relevant on a craw type bait or lizard IMO, where the hook exits a typical worm style bait is less critical for me. Obviously if you have a small grub type soft plastic, too big of a hook will exit the bait at the wrong place--like maybe past the body--lol....

On line weight, pretty similar theory, I match the line and rod to the weight of the bait/head combo. I would tend to say that I fish slightly heavier line rod/reel combos when fishing shaky head rigs--typically. I use about 75% flouro, and 25% mono line type, the mono for when I am fishing more stained water, and may want a little give around structure. I use med and med/heavy fast actions and about and equal mix of baitcaster or spinner, maybe a few more on a spinner, when I go lighter, I'll choose a spinner. Fish a lot with a Shimano Symetre 3000 series on a St Croix Avid 6'6" MedHeav/Fast with 12lb flouro--nice combo!
On color selection, I have tried a lot of colors in all different conditions, and for me, colors in the darker end of the spectrun have worked best. I always have a few craws in blue/black and green of one sort or the other, and will often have a red or red tinted green too. With straight up worms, I have had more in the purple range, as well as the ubiquitous 'motor oil' color in typical senko style worms. In stained water, I have had a lot of luck with smaller grub/craw style plastics, a favorite is the Yamamoto H-grub, even the biggest one (6") isn't that big relatively--but damn do they produce!
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yamam...e-YA4DTHG.html

I always fish these on the Spot Remover shaky head, which is my favorite head/hook by a mile, just wish they had more hook size options http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bucke...page-BSRP.html

I find that I have better feel for the bottom with these flat headed shaky's, and they get LESS caught on structure than regular football or round style heads for me too. I also love the way they sit flat on the bottom and the baight, especially craws have the back floating up towards the top, if you bounce one of these along the bottom with and H-Grub on it where you can see it, the action/ presentation is just awesome!

I even fish a few shaky style setups like a swimbait. One of my favorites is the YUM Money Craw, rigged on the spot remover, I'll cast it out to a likely spot, swim it along for a while, and then cast back and just twitch back in along the bottom in the same place. I tend to use more of a vertical twitch with this style as opposed to more of a horizontal twitch with say a T-rigged bait.

Good luck with continued shaky head success!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 08:44 PM   #6
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmm...never tried a craw but deff will now! And I am also a fan of spot remover heads. Thanks!
Old 08-11-11, 12:44 AM   #7
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i use purple robo worms.. they work great!
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 03:35 AM   #8
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I mainly use trick worms or 4" BPS stick-O's. I pour my own shakeyheads 1/16-5/8oz heads with the screw lock. Usually use them on a spinning rod, 6' 8" St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass "Finesse" rod with a 2500 Shimano Symetre FJ and 8 pound Seaguar InvisX.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 12:01 AM   #9
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use hi-vis yellow 20# PowerPro with at least a 6' fluoro leader of 6# or 8# line. That's on a Stradic 2500 on a 6'10" Loomis shaky head rod. I mostly use round heads that I make; mostly 1/16oz. but sometimes 1/8oz. It's really weedy here in Michigan and anything else gets hung up too bad. Out on the big water (LSC & Erie) a lot of guys use heavier football heads that I make too. I like to use the Netbait mini B-Bugs, Nemesis shaky worms, Zoom finesse worms, Netbait finesse worms, Don Iovino worms, etc. Mostly green pumpkin or green pumpkin red but I've also had some success with shad colors.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.