Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-05-11, 03:29 PM   #26
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
A lot pros flipping grass are snelling hooks with braid.
For sure! Its the only way to go when fishing heavy cover. I have never had one come unbuttoned and im punching some real nasty mats. If you dont use welded eye hooks you could cut your line on the eye though.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 04:15 PM   #27
DaveW731

Default Thanks, dave and mrmuskie

I woulda never thought of snelling with braid. I have a couple of welded hooks, so I think I'll give it a try.
Thanks!
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 12:50 PM   #28
cbwalls
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
You're having slippage problems with the palomar? Never heard that before. Not to sound like a smart@$$, but are you sure you're tying it right?
I use the improved clinch knot on mono and fluoro, but for braid, I use the palomar...never had any problems with it slipping at all.

Palomar knot

Improved clinch knot
Great links to show the styles - I have never used the Palomar because I heard it did not work too well with mono but I may give it a try. I have used the Improved Clinch Knot my whole life without any issues.
cbwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 04:27 PM   #29
MrMakk

the problem with braid is it's not like mono, it hates strangulation knots, Here back in the uk 97% of predator anglers are using braid for both Lure fishing and Bait fishing. The five turn grinner knot is a very good 'braid friendly' knot....... Look it up on YT or the web.

Here is a uk predator forum i'm on

I do hope i've helped....
Old 07-09-11, 03:39 PM   #30
Lvitch

If your getting a break in the line above the knot your burning the line when you tighten it down. When you tie a palomar you need to wet the knot liberally (usually just spit). A palomar will not slip or break at the line tie. Unless possibly your using really old line, then all bets are off. The palomar is one of only a few knots to use for braid simply because it dosent slip. keep the loops loose until it starts to get tight and pull both ends at the same time.
Old 07-13-11, 07:47 PM   #31
BigBurlyBass

never had a problem with slippage and braid.

IowaBasser I do the same thing with my improved clinch knots, except I don't run the tag end inside the two loops I run it through the same way as the regular clinch
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 12:35 PM   #32
Workdawg
BassFishin.Com Member

If you cut the tag end off too short on the Palomar knot it may slip, so leave a little bit of line on the tag end.
Workdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 06:51 PM   #33
Garry2rs

Sometimes I also use the Palomar, but for cranks etc. the uni or double uni is faster and easier because you are not passing a loop over all the hooks.

One extra point...On Knot Wars one time they mentioned that they were having unexpected breakage with some knots.

They finally figured out the all of these "weak" knots were tied by one of the assistant directors...It turned out that this man's skin oil was weakening the line!!! Go figure eh!
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 01:55 PM   #34
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
You're having slippage problems with the palomar? Never heard that before. Not to sound like a smart@$$, but are you sure you're tying it right?
I use the improved clinch knot on mono and fluoro, but for braid, I use the palomar...never had any problems with it slipping at all.

Palomar knot

Improved clinch knot

Agreed... I have never had a problem with Palomar on any line type unless I didn't tighten it down properly.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 02:26 PM   #35
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

The fellow in this video ties this Uni knot on what I call a bite, that is where the line is doubled through the whole knot. It seems like it would be very strong but I found it awkward to tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8S...eature=related
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.